Presented at the American College of Emergency Physicians Scientific Assembly Research Forum, Las Vegas, NV, September 2010.
National Study of Emergency Department Observation Services
Article first published online: 30 AUG 2011
© 2011 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 18, Issue 9, pages 959–965, September 2011
How to Cite
Wiler, J. L., Ross, M. A. and Ginde, A. A. (2011), National Study of Emergency Department Observation Services. Academic Emergency Medicine, 18: 959–965. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01151.x
The authors have no relevant financial information or potential conflicts of interest to disclose.
Supervising Editor: Jacob Ufberg, MD.
- Issue published online: 11 SEP 2011
- Article first published online: 30 AUG 2011
- Received December 20, 2010; revision received February 27, 2011; accepted March 21, 2011.
This article has been cited by:
- 2Early Management of Patients With Acute Heart Failure: State of the Art and Future Directions. A Consensus Document From the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine/Heart Failure Society of America Acute Heart Failure Working Group, Journal of Cardiac Failure, 2015, 21, 1, 27, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 4Thinking Outside the Box: Treating Acute Heart Failure Outside the Hospital to Improve Care and Reduce Admissions, Journal of Cardiac Failure, 2015, 21, 8, 667, , ,
- 6A systematic review of predictive modeling for bronchiolitis, International Journal of Medical Informatics, 2014, 83, 10, 691, , , , ,
- 8Emergency department visits for heart failure and subsequent hospitalization or observation unit admission, American Heart Journal, 2014, 168, 6, 901, , , , ,
- 11Observation Units: Definition, History, Data, Financial Considerations, and Metrics, Current Emergency and Hospital Medicine Reports, 2014, 2, 1, 1, ,
- You have free access to this content12
- 14Randomized Clinical Trial of an Emergency Department Observation Syncope Protocol Versus Routine Inpatient Admission, Annals of Emergency Medicine, 2014, 64, 2, 167, , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 15A short-stay unit for thyroidectomy patients increases discharge efficiency, Journal of Surgical Research, 2013, 184, 1, 204, , , , ,
- 16Characteristics of Hospital Observation Services, Critical Pathways in Cardiology, 2013, 12, 2, 45, , , , , , , , ,
- 17Effect on efficiency and cost-effectiveness when an observation unit is managed as a closed unit vs an open unit, The American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2013, 31, 7, 1042, , , , , , ,
- 19Identifying patients with cellulitis who are likely to require inpatient admission after a stay in an ED observation unit, The American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2013, 31, 2, 360, , , , , ,
- 20The Impact of Observation Units on the Rate of Hospital-Acquired Infection, Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 2013, 34, 12, 1318, ,
- 21Can Selected Patients With Newly Diagnosed Pulmonary Embolism Be Safely Treated Without Hospitalization? A Systematic Review, Annals of Emergency Medicine, 2012, 60, 5, 651, , ,
- 22Emergency Department Crowding 2.0: Coping With a Dysfunctional System, Annals of Emergency Medicine, 2012, 60, 6, 687, ,
- 24Transforming the Emergency Department Observation Unit, Cardiology Clinics, 2012, 30, 4, 501, ,