The authors have no financial disclosures or conflicts of interest to report.
The Millennial Generation and “The Lecture”
Article first published online: 17 NOV 2011
© 2011 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 18, Issue 11, pages 1186–1187, November 2011
How to Cite
Hart, D. and Joing, S. (2011), The Millennial Generation and “The Lecture”. Academic Emergency Medicine, 18: 1186–1187. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01215.x
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
Supervising Editor: John Burton, MD
A related commentary appears on page 1191.
- Issue published online: 17 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 17 NOV 2011
- 2A Taxonomy for Learning, Teaching, and Assessing: a Revision of Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives. 2nd edition. Longman, NY: Allyn & Bacon, 2001., (eds).
- 5Growing Up Digital: How the Web Changes Work, Education, and the Ways People Learn. Available at: http://www.johnseelybrown.com/Growing_up_digital.pdf. Accessed Aug 22, 2011..
- 6The net generation goes to college. Chron Higher Educ. Available for a fee at: http://chronicle.com/weekly/v52/i07/07a03401.htm. Accessed Aug 22, 2011..
- 7Concept mapping: an effective, active teaching-learning method. Nurs Educ Perspect. 2006; 27:197–203..
- 8The twenty-first century university: a tale of two futures. In: Hirsch WZ, Weber LE, eds. Challenges Facing Higher Education at the Millennium. Phoenix, AZ: Oryx Press, 1999..
- 9Guidelines for Twenty-first Century Instructional Design and Technology Use: Technology’s Influence on the Brain. Thesis for University of Central Florida, 2009. Available at: http://etd.fcla.edu/CF/CFE0002704/Gabriel_Jennifer_S_200908_MA.pdf. Accessed Aug 22, 2011..
- 11Ten easy ways to engage your students. College Teaching. 2007; 55:83–7., .
- 14The 60 second nurse educator: creative strategies to inspire learning. Nurs Educ Perspect. 2002; 23:222–7..
- 15The Millennial Effect: Implications for Academic Development. HERDSA conference proceedings. Available at: http://www.herdsa.org.au/wp-content/uploads/conference/2004/PDF/P050-jt.pdf. Accessed Aug 22, 2011., .
- 16Understanding Digital Kids (DKs). Teaching & Learning in the New Digital Landscape. Available at: http://www.wright.edu/~marguerite.veres/786syl/growingupdigit.pdf. Accessed Aug 22, 2011..
- 17Optimizing your didactics in an adult learner world. CORD Academic Assembly Session, 2011. Available at: http://www.cordem.org/files/DOCUMENTLIBRARY/2011aaHandouts/Day0/2011aaDay0_KuhnWagnerOptimizingDidactics.doc. Accessed Aug 22, 2011., .
- 18When Generations Collide: How to Solve the Generational Puzzle at Work. Management Forum Series Presentation, Bridgeworks, 2004. Available at: http://www.executiveforum.com/PDFs/LancasterSynopsis.pdf. Accessed Aug 22, 2011..
- 21Active learning in large class settings. Adv Physiol Educ. 1995; 269:S73–9..
- 24The millennial student: a new generation of learners. Athletic Training Educ J. 2007; 2(Apr-Jun):42–6., .
- 27Preferred Learning Methods of the Millennial Generation. Available at: http://escholar.salve.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1017&context=fac_staff_pub. Accessed Aug 22, 2011..
- 28The theory underlying concept maps and how to construct and use them. Tech Rep IHMC CmapTools. Available at: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.137.2955&rep=rep1&type=pdf. Accessed Aug 22, 2011., .
- 29Using active learning in lecture: best of “both worlds.” Int J Nurs Educ Scholar. 2004; 1:1–9..
- 30Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants. On Horizon. Available at: http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf. Accessed Aug 22, 2011..
- 31Listen to the natives. Learning in the Digital Age. Educ Leadersh. 2005; 63:8–13..
- 33Connecting Generations: the Sourcebook for a New Workplace. Menlo Park, CA: Crisp Publications, 2003..
- 35Engaging the millennial generation in class discussions. College Teach. 2010; 59:1–6., , , , .
- 36Practical Teaching in Emergency Medicine. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell, 2009.(ed).
- 39Delivering Effective Lectures. U.S. Agency for International Development, Paper #5, December 1996. Available at: http://www.reproline.jhu.edu/english/6read/6training/lecture/delivering_lecture.htm. Accessed Aug 22, 2011., .
- 40Generation NeXt Comes to College: 2006 Updates and Emerging Issues. Available at: http://www.taylorprograms.org/images/Gen_NeXt_article_HLC_06.pdf. Accessed Aug 22, 2011..