This article represents a component of the 2011 Academic Emergency Medicine Consensus Conference entitled “Interventions to Assure Quality in the Crowded Emergency Department (ED)” held in Boston, MA.
ED Overcrowding: The Ontario Approach
Version of Record online: 13 DEC 2011
© 2011 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Special Issue: Proceedings of the 2011 AEM Consenus Conference: Interventions to Assure Quality in the Crowded Emergency Department Guest Editors: James R. Miner, MD Manish N. Shah, MD, MPH
Volume 18, Issue 12, pages 1242–1245, December 2011
How to Cite
Ovens, H. (2011), ED Overcrowding: The Ontario Approach. Academic Emergency Medicine, 18: 1242–1245. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01220.x
Funding for this conference was made possible (in part) by 1R13HS020139-01 from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). The views expressed in written conference materials or publications and by speakers and moderators do not necessarily reflect the official policies of the Department of Health and Human Services, nor does mention of trade names, commercial practices, or organizations imply endorsement by the U.S. Government. This issue of Academic Emergency Medicine is funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
Dr. Ovens acts as an advisor on health policy to the Government of Ontario. He has no other conflicts of interest or disclosures to report.
Supervising Editor: James Miner, MD.
- Issue online: 13 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 13 DEC 2011
- Received June 17, 2011; revision received July 15, 2011; accepted July 20, 2011.
- 2Myths versus facts in emergency department overcrowding and hospital access block. Med J Aust. 2009; 191:369–74., .
- 3Impact of hospital management measures to increase efficiency in the management of beds and reduce emergency department congestion. Emergencias. 2010; 22:249–53., , , et al.
- 5Physician Hospital Care Committee. Improving Access to Emergency Care: Addressing System Issues. Available at: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/ministry_reports/improving_access/improving_access.pdf. Accessed Sep 2, 2011.
- 6Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. Ontario Wait Times. Emergency Room Search Section. Available at: http://waittimes.hco-on.ca/en/search/er/. Accessed Sep 2, 2011.