The authors have no relevant financial information or potential conflicts of interest to disclose.
Original Research Contributions
International Perspectives on Emergency Department Crowding
Article first published online: 13 DEC 2011
© 2011 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Special Issue: Proceedings of the 2011 AEM Consenus Conference: Interventions to Assure Quality in the Crowded Emergency Department Guest Editors: James R. Miner, MD Manish N. Shah, MD, MPH
Volume 18, Issue 12, pages 1358–1370, December 2011
How to Cite
Pines, J. M., Hilton, J. A., Weber, E. J., Alkemade, A. J., Al Shabanah, H., Anderson, P. D., Bernhard, M., Bertini, A., Gries, A., Ferrandiz, S., Kumar, V. A., Harjola, V.-P., Hogan, B., Madsen, B., Mason, S., Öhlén, G., Rainer, T., Rathlev, N., Revue, E., Richardson, D., Sattarian, M. and Schull, M. J. (2011), International Perspectives on Emergency Department Crowding. Academic Emergency Medicine, 18: 1358–1370. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01235.x
Supervising Editor: Manish Shah, MD.
- Issue published online: 13 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 13 DEC 2011
- Received February 17, 2011; revisions received May 9 and May 18, 2011; accepted May 18, 2011.
- 9Magnus P, Killion S (eds). Australia’s Health 2008. Canberra, Australia: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 2008.
- 11President’s message. Emerg Med (Fremantle). 1998; 10:169–271..
- 21Health services under siege: the case for clinical process redesign. Med J Aust. 2008; 188(6 Suppl):S1, S9–13., , , , .
- 22Ontario’s alternate funding arrangements for emergency departments: the impact on the emergency physician workforce. CJEM. 2005; 7:100–6., .
- 23Atlas of Emergency Department Services in Ontario 1992/1993 to 1999/2000. Toronto, Ontario: Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences. ICES Atlas Report Series, 2001., , .
- 25Auditor General of Ontario. 2010 Annual Report: Hospital Emergency Departments. Available at: http://188.8.131.52/en/reports_en/en10/305en10.pdf. Accessed Sep 11, 2011.
- 26Primary care and health system performance: adults’ experiences in five countries. Health Aff (Millwood). 2004; Suppl Web Exclusives:W4–503., , , et al.
- 27Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. Ontario Wait Times. Available at: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/waittimes/. Accessed Sep 11, 2011.
- 28Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. Ontario Wait Time: Provincial Summary. Available at: http://edrs.waittimes.net/En/ProvincialSummary.aspx?view=0. Accessed Sep 11, 2011.
- 29Vancouver Coastal Health. Innovation Reduces ER Congestion in Lower Mainland. Available at: http://www.vch.ca/about_us/news/media_contacts/news_releases/news_release_archive/2009_news_releases/innovation_reduces_er_congestion_in_lower_mainland. Accessed Sep 25, 2011.
- 30[Occurrence and description of acute admissions and emergency room visits in North Jutland and Central Jutland] (Danish). Klinisk Epidemiologisk Afdeling, Aarhus Universitet; 2009., , , .
- 31[Capacity in Danish intensive care units. A national survey of capacity, cancellations and transfers of critically ill patients] (Danish). Ugeskr Laeger. 2007; 169:712–6., , , , , .
- 32[Deaths in the hospital corridors] (Danish). Politiken. 2007. Sept 3.
- 34Finish Ministry of Social Affairs and Health. Health Services. Available at: http://www.stm.fi/en/social_and_health_services/health_services. Accessed Sep 21, 2011.
- 35[Activity of French emergency departments in 2004: study and results] (French). La Direction de la Recherche des Etudes de l’évaluation et des Statistiques (DRESS), Etudes et Résultats. 2006; 524:1–8..
- 36[Emergency department visits in France from 1990 to 1998, a growing need for non urgent visits] (French). La Direction de la Recherche des Etudes de l’évaluation et des Statistiques (DRESS), Etudes et Résultats. 2000; 72:1–8., , .
- 37French Society of Emergency Medicine (SFMU). [Situation of emergency departments in France] (French). Available at: http://www.sfmu.org/documents/ressources/referentiels/Aval_SU_SFMU_mai_2005.pdf. Accessed Sep 21, 2011.
- 38Integrated primary care in Germany: the road ahead. Int J Integr Care. 2009; 9:e14., , .
- 39[First-View] (German). Wartezeiten Jahrg. 2009; 26:480–2..
- 40[The German health care system in international comparison] (German). Dtsch Ärztebl. 2011; 108:255–61., , , , .
- 41[Rupert 2009: Economic Aspects of Clinical Care: A Position Paper of AG Economics] (German). Available at: http://www.dgina.de/pages/posts/positionspapier-der-ag-oekonomie167.php. Accessed Sep 22, 2011., , , et al.
- 42Chinese University of Hong Kong. Development of Emergency Medicine in Hong Kong. Available at: http://www.aemau.cuhk.edu.hk/about/about_devt.html. Accessed Sep 11, 2011.
- 44Trauma care systems in India--an overview. Indian J Crit Care Med. 2004; 8:93–7., , , .
- 47Italian Minister of Health. Progetto Mattoni SSN. [First Aid and System 118. Recognition of the legislation, the experiences, trials, relative to emergency and 118 at regional and national levels] (Italian). Available at: http://www.nsis.salute.gov.it/mattoni/documenti/MDS_MATTONI_SSN_milestone_1.1_Ricognizione_normativa_v1.0.pdf. Accessed Sep 22, 2011.
- 48Anonymous. Official Bulletin of the Tuscany Region. 2008; 11:57–68.
- 49[Preliminary results of the implementation of some short courses or “fast track” emergency department] (Italian). SIMEU J. 2009; 2:8–10., , , et al.
- 50Anonymous. [Observation Brief: innovation and efficiency in the PS to manage the demand for health] (Italian). Proceedings of the conference 2004 Trieste. 2005, p 7.
- 51Anonymous. Official Bulletin of the Tuscany Region. 2010; 13:116–24.
- 52[The logistics of the patient in the path of the emergency-urgency: the case of Siena room discharge] (Italian). Ital Q Health Care Manag Econ Policy. 2009; 70:23–30., , .
- 53Netherlands Central Bureau of Statistics. [Health care and figures 2009] (Dutch). Available at: http://www.cbs.nl/NR/rdonlyres/CC6F3071-309A-4D3C-B42B-2772F4C3F464/0/2009c156pub.pdf. Accessed Sep 11, 2011.
- 54Netherlands Consumer Safety. [External causes of injury compared to disease] (Dutch). Available at: http://www.veiligheid.nl/csi/veiligheid.nsf/wwwAssets/543CD58D60F286AEC12576DC0036D246/$file/Ziekte_vs_uitwendige_oorzaken.pdf. Accessed Sep 22, 2011.
- 55Netherlands Association of General Practice. [Benchmark Bulletin 2009] (Dutch). Available at: http://vhn.artsennet.nl/Dossiers/Projecten/Benchmark.htm. Accessed Sep 11, 2011.
- 56Reasons for delay in inpatient admission at an emergency department. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2008; 20:38–42., , , .
- 58Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions. Home Page. Available at: http://english.skl.se/web/english.aspx. Accessed Sep 11, 2011.
- 59Department of Health (UK). Accident and Emergency: A&E Attendances. Available at: http://www.performance.doh.gov.uk/hospitalactivity/data_requests/a_and_e_attendances.htm. Accessed Sep 25, 2011.
- 61Department of Health (UK). The NHS Plan: A Plan for Investment, a Plan for Reform. Available at: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4002960. Accessed Sep 11, 2011.
- 62Department of Health (UK). Performance Data and Statistics. Available at: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Statistics/Performancedataandstatistics/AccidentandEmergency/DH_079085. Accessed Sep 25, 2011.
- 64Department of Health. A&E Clinical Quality Indicators: Implementation Guidelines. Available at: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/@ps/documents/digitalasset/dh_122893.pdf. Accessed Sep 11, 2011.