Presented at the Society of General Internal Medicine, Minneapolis, MN, April 2010; the Swiss Society of Internal Medicine, Basel, Switzerland, May 2010; and the Swiss Public Health Conference, Nottwil, Switzerland, September 2010.
Original Research Contribution
Social and Medical Vulnerability Factors of Emergency Department Frequent Users in a Universal Health Insurance System
Article first published online: 5 JAN 2012
© 2012 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 19, Issue 1, pages 63–68, January 2012
How to Cite
Bieler, G., Paroz, S., Faouzi, M., Trueb, L., Vaucher, P., Althaus, F., Daeppen, J.-B. and Bodenmann, P. (2012), Social and Medical Vulnerability Factors of Emergency Department Frequent Users in a Universal Health Insurance System. Academic Emergency Medicine, 19: 63–68. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01246.x
This study was entirely supported by our institution.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
Supervising Editor: Lowell Gerson, PhD.
- Issue published online: 17 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 5 JAN 2012
- Received July 24, 2011; revision received August 4, 2011; accepted September 5, 2011.
This article has been cited by:
- 1Précarité et réanimation : épidémiologie et pronostic, Réanimation, 2015, 24, 4, 403, , , , , , , , , ,
- 2Prevalence of and Predictors for Frequent Utilization of Emergency Department, Medicine, 2015, 94, 29, e1205, , , , ,
- 3Frequent users of US emergency departments: characteristics and opportunities for intervention, Emergency Medicine Journal, 2014, 31, 7, 526, , , , ,
- 4Case management and self-management support for frequent users with chronic disease in primary care: a pragmatic randomized controlled trial, BMC Health Services Research, 2013, 13, 1, 49, , , , , , , , ,
- 5Characteristics of Medicaid enrollees with frequent ED use, The American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2013, 31, 9, 1333, , , , , , , ,
- 6Mapping the concept of vulnerability related to health care disparities: a scoping review, BMC Health Services Research, 2013, 13, 1, 94, , ,
- 7Patient Demographic and Health Factors Associated With Frequent Use of Emergency Medical Services in a Midsized City, Factores Sanitarios y Demográficos del Paciente Asociados con el Uso Frecuente de los Servicios Médicos de Emergencias en una Ciudad de Tamaño Medio, Academic Emergency Medicine, 2013, 20, 11, , , , , , , , , , ,
- 8What Drives Frequent Emergency Department Use in an Integrated Health System? National Data From the Veterans Health Administration, Annals of Emergency Medicine, 2013, 62, 2, 151, , ,
- 9When Health Insurance Is Not a Factor: National Comparison of Homeless and Nonhomeless US Veterans Who Use Veterans Affairs Emergency Departments, American Journal of Public Health, 2013, 103, S2, S225, , ,
- 10Impact of Health Insurance Status and a Diagnosis of Serious Mental Illness on Whether Chronically Homeless Individuals Engage in Primary Care, American Journal of Public Health, 2012, 102, 12, e83, , ,