Best paper award, American College of Emergency Physicians Research Forum, San Francisco, CA, October 2011.
Original Research Contribution
Clinical Decision Rules to Improve the Detection of Adverse Drug Events in Emergency Department Patients
Version of Record online: 11 JUN 2012
© 2012 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 19, Issue 6, pages 640–649, June 2012
How to Cite
Hohl, C. M., Yu, E., Hunte, G. S., Brubacher, J. R., Hosseini, F., Argent, C. P., Chan, W. W.Y., Wiens, M. O., Sheps, S. B. and Singer, J. (2012), Clinical Decision Rules to Improve the Detection of Adverse Drug Events in Emergency Department Patients. Academic Emergency Medicine, 19: 640–649. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2012.01379.x
This study was supported by grants from the Canadian Patient Safety Institute, the Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research, and the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority. None of the sponsors had any role in study design, data collection or processing, or analysis or preparation of the manuscript. All authors had access to the study data and agreed to submit the manuscript in its current form. The authors have no potential conflicts of interest to disclose.
Supervising Editor: Mark B. Mycyk, MD.
- Issue online: 11 JUN 2012
- Version of Record online: 11 JUN 2012
- Received November 24, 2011; revision received January 5, 2012; accepted January 5, 2012.
- 2Transport Canada. Road Safety in Canada. Fatalities - 1986–2005. Available at: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/tp-tp3322-2005-page4-652.htm. Accessed Feb 24, 2012.
- 3World Health Organization. International drug monitoring: the role of the hospital. Report of a World Health Organization Meeting. World Health Organization Technical Report Series. 1966; 425:5–24.
- 10Drug-related visits to the emergency department. J Pharm Pract. 2005; 18:329–35..
- 19Assessing the Effect of Adverse Hospital Events on the Cost of Hospitalization and Other Patient Outcomes. Salt Lake City, UT: University of Utah, 1993..
- 20Emergency physicians attitudes about routine screening for adverse drug events [abstract]. Can J Emerg Med. 2010; 12:260., , .
- 21Hospital Pharmacy in Canada Editorial Board. 2007/08 Hospital Pharmacy in Canada Report. Available at: http://www.lillyhospitalsurvey.ca/hpc2/content/2008_report/2007_08_full.pdf. Accessed Feb 25, 2012.
- 22Pharmacist needed in the ER, Stat. Can J Hosp Pharm. 1999; 52:387–92., , , .
- 26World Health Organization. Letter MIO/372/2(A). 1991. Available at: http://www.scribd.com/vinicius_barros/d/22293073-Adverse-Drug-Reactions-Definitions-Diagnosis-And-Management. Accessed Feb 24, 2012.
- 29Statistical Methods for Rates and Proportions, 3rd ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2003..
- 31The Joint Commission. National Patient Safety Standards. Available at: http://www.jointcommission.org/standards_information/npsgs.aspx. Accessed Feb 24, 2012.
- 33Keeping an eye on Prescription Drugs, Keeping Canadians Safe: Active Monitoring Systems for Drug Safety and Effectiveness in Canada and Internationally. Available at: http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2011/ccs-hcc/H174-21-2010-eng.pdf. Accessed Feb 24, 2012., , , , .
- 34Research networks involved in post-market pharmacosurveillance in the United States, United Kingdom, France, New Zealand, Australia, Norway and European Union: Lessons for Canada. In: Canadian Patient Safety Institute, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, 2008. Available at: http://www.patientsafetyinstitute.ca/English/research/commissionedResearch/postMarketingSurveillance/Documents/Post-Marketing%20Pharmacosurveillance%20Final%20Report.pdf. Accessed Feb 24, 2012., , , et al.
- 35Health Canada. Adverse Drug Reactions. Available at: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/homologationlicensing/system/map-carte/ar_ei-eng.php. Accessed Feb 24, 2012.
- 36United States Department of Health & Human Services. MedWatch: The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/default.htm. Accessed Feb 24, 2012.
- 41Assessing the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System--Cooperative Adverse Drug Event Surveillance Project--Six Sites, United States, January 1-June 15, 2004. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2005; 54:380–3., , , , , .