EC is supported by a career development award from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (5K23AI078755-04). No authors have any financial arrangements that may represent conflict of interest.
Unconsented HIV Testing in Cases of Occupational Exposure: Ethics, Law, and Policy
Article first published online: 20 SEP 2012
© 2012 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 19, Issue 10, pages 1181–1187, October 2012
How to Cite
Cowan, E. and Macklin, R. (2012), Unconsented HIV Testing in Cases of Occupational Exposure: Ethics, Law, and Policy. Academic Emergency Medicine, 19: 1181–1187. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2012.01453.x
Supervising Editor: James G. Adams, MD.
- Issue published online: 15 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 20 SEP 2012
- Received February 14, 2012; revision received April 2, 2012; accepted April 28, 2012.
- 1Updated U.S. Public Health Service guidelines for the management of occupational exposures to HIV and recommendations for postexposure prophylaxis. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2005;54(RR-9):1–17., , , , .
- 2National HIV/AIDS Clinicians’ Consultation Center. 2011 Compendium of State HIV Testing Laws. Available at: http://www.nccc.ucsf.edu/consultation_library/state_hiv_testing_laws/. Accessed Jul 19, 2012.
- 3Arizona State Legislature. Arizona State Code §13-1210. Available at: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/01210.htm. Accessed Jul 19, 2012.
- 4Maine State Legislature. Maine Revised Statutes. ME Title 5 Code §19203-A/C. Available at: http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/5/title5sec19203-A.html. Accessed Jul 19, 2012.
- 5New Mexico State Legislature. New Mexico Statutes and Court Rules Unannotated. 24-2B-2. Available at: http://www.conwaygreene.com/nmsu/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&2.0. Accessed Aug 8, 2012.
- 6Oregon State Legislature. Or. Rev. Stat. §36-433.08. Available at: http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/433.html.Accessed Aug 8, 2012.
- 7Hawaii State Legislature. Haw. Rev. Stat. §325-16. Available at: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrs2006/Vol06_Ch0321-0344/HRS0325/HRS_0325-0016.HTM. Accessed Jul 19, 2012.
- 8Maryland State Legislature. MD Health - General Section §18-338.1. Available at: http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2005/ghg/18-338.1.html. Accessed Jul 19,2012.
- 9New York State Legislature. N.Y. Pub. Health Law §2781(6)(e). Available at: http://w3.health.state.ny.us/dbspace/propregs.nsf/4ac9558781006774852569bd00512fda/b215ad66f037b54a8525793a005fbee2?OpenDocument. Accessed Jul 19, 2012.
- 10California State Legislature. CA Health & Safety Code §120262. Available at: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/aids/Documents/RPT2010_01HIVAIDSLaws2009.pdf. Accessed Jul 19, 2012.
- 11South Carolina State Legislature. SC Health Code §44-29-230. Available at: http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t44c029.php. Accessed Jul 19, 2012.
- 12State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. RI Rules & Regulations R23-6-HIV 5.0. Available at: http://sos.ri.gov/documents/archives/regdocs/released/pdf/DOH/5401.pdf. Accessed Jul 19, 2012.
- 13Updated U.S. Public Health Service Guidelines for the Management of Occupational Exposures to HBV, HCV, and HIV and Recommendations for Postexposure Prophylaxis, MMWR Recomm Rep. 2001;50(RR-11):1–52.
- 14American College of Emergency Physicians. Bloodborne Infections in Emergency Medicine. Available at: http://www.acep.org/Content.aspx?id=29130&terms=hiv%20testing. Accessed Jul 19, 2012.
- 15American College of Emergency Physicians. HIV Testing and Screening in the Emergency Department. Available at: http://www.acep.org/Content.aspx?id=29512&terms=hiv%20testing. Accessed Jul 19, 2012.
- 16American Medical Association. H-20.920 HIV Testing. Available at: https://ssl3.ama-assn.org/apps/ecomm/PolicyFinderForm.pl?site=www.ama-assn.org&uri=%2fresources%2fdoc%2fPolicyFinder%2fpolicyfiles%2fHnE%2fH-20.920.HTM. Accessed Jul 19, 2012.
- 17Foundations of the Metaphysics of Morals, and What Is Enlightenment? New York, NY: Liberal Arts Press, 1959..
- 18Principles of Biomedical Ethics. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2001., .
- 19The Right and the Good. Oxford, UK: The Clarendon Press, 1930..
- 20On Liberty and Other Essays. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 1991., .
- 22O’Connor v. Donaldson, 422 U.S. 563: 95 S. Ct. 2486, 1975. Available at: http://psychrights.org/Research/Legal/OConnorvDonaldson.htm. Accessed Jul 19, 2012.
- 23United States General Accounting Office. Occupational Safety: Selected Cost and Benefit Implications of Needlestick Prevention Devices for Hospitals. GAO-01-60R. Washington, DC; 2000. Available at: http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d0160r.pdf. Accessed Jul 19, 2012.
- 31National Vaccine Program Office. School Immunization Laws. Available at: http://www.hhs.gov/nvpo/law.htm#School_immunization_laws. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2000. Accessed Jul 19, 2012.
- 35Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. HIV Infection Reporting. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/reporting.htm. Accessed Jul 19, 2012.
- 37United States Department of Health and Human Services. Panel on Clinical Practices for the Treatment of HIV Infection Convened by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents in HIV-1-infected Adults and Adolescents. Available at: http://www.aidsinfo.nih.gov/ContentFiles/AdultandAdolescentGL04072005001.pdf. Accessed Jul 19, 2012.