Contesting “Law and Order”: Immigrants’ Encounters with “Rule of Law” in Postcolonial Hong Kong
Article first published online: 11 MAY 2011
©2011 by the American Anthropological Association
PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review
Volume 34, Issue 1, pages 95–111, May 2011
How to Cite
Newendorp, N. (2011), Contesting “Law and Order”: Immigrants’ Encounters with “Rule of Law” in Postcolonial Hong Kong. PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review, 34: 95–111. doi: 10.1111/j.1555-2934.2011.01141.x
- Issue published online: 11 MAY 2011
- Article first published online: 11 MAY 2011
- 2002 Introduction: the Hong Kong SAR in Flux. In Crisis and Transformation in China's Hong Kong. Ming K.Chan and Alvin Y.So, eds. Pp. 3–19. Armonk , NY : M. E. Sharpe.
- 1989 Law and the Colonial State in India. In History and Power in the Study of Law: New Directions in Legal Anthropology. JuneStarr and Jane F.Collier, eds. Pp. 131–151. Ithaca , NY : Cornell University Press.
- 2006 Law and Disorder in the Postcolony. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. , and , eds.
- 2004 Ethnographies of Law. In The Blackwell Companion to Law and Society. AustinSarat, ed. Pp. 545–568. Malden , MA : Blackwell Publishing.
- 2006 Mobilizing the Law in China: “Informed Disenchantment and the Development of Legal Consciousness.” Law and Society Review 40(4):783–816.
- Home Affairs Department 2002 Survey on New Arrivals from the Mainland (Fourth Quarter of 2001). Hong Kong : Hong Kong Government Printer.
- 1999 Politics Postponed: Law as a Substitute for Politics in Hong Kong and China. In Law, Capitalism, and Power in Asia: The Rule of Law and Legal Institutions. KanishkaJayasuriya, ed. Pp. 45–68. London and New York , NY : Routledge.
- 2001 Hegemonic Construction, Negotiation and Displacement. International Journal of Cultural Studies 4(3):259–278.
- 2004 Immigration Policies, Discourses, and the Politics of Local Belonging in Hong Kong (1950–1980). Modern China 30(3):326–360.
- 2007 Against the Law: Labor Protests in China's Rustbelt and Sunbelt. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2000 The “Rule of Law” Policy in Guangdong: Continuity and Departure? Meaning, Significance, and Processes. China Quarterly 161:199–220.
- 1999 Culture, Politics, and Television in Hong Kong. London : Routledge.
- 1997 Heunggongyahn: On the Past, Present, and Future of Hong Kong Identity. Bulletin of Concerned Asian Scholars 29(3):3–13.
- 2008 Hong Kong, China: Learning to Belong to a Nation. New York : Routledge. , , and
- 2004 Colonial and Postcolonial Law.” In The Blackwell Companion to Law and Society. AustinSarat, ed. Pp. 569–588. Malden , MA : Blackwell Publishing.
- 2008 Uneasy Reunions: Immigration, Citizenship, and Family Life in Post-1997 Hong Kong. Stanford , CA : Stanford University Press.
- 2009 The Common Law in Two Voices: Language, Law, and the Postcolonial Dilemma in Hong Kong. Stanford , CA : Stanford University Press.
- 2007 Studying Chinese Politics: Farewell to Revolution? China Journal 57:1–22.
- Xinhua General News Service 2007 35 percent Hong Kong men marry mainland women in 2006: statistics. Xinhua News Agency, February 24.