The Governance of Things: Documenting Limbo in the Greek Asylum Procedure
Article first published online: 1 MAY 2012
©2012 by the American Anthropological Association
PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review
Volume 35, Issue 1, pages 11–29, May 2012
How to Cite
Cabot, H. (2012), The Governance of Things: Documenting Limbo in the Greek Asylum Procedure. PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review, 35: 11–29. doi: 10.1111/j.1555-2934.2012.01177.x
- Issue published online: 1 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 1 MAY 2012
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) 2011 UNHCR Global Trends 2010.
- 2009 What is an Apparatus and Other Essays. David Kishik and Stefan Pedatella, trans. Palo Alto , CA : Stanford University Press.
- 2001 Analyzing African Asylum Seekers’ Stories in Belgium. Discourse and Society 12:413–449.
- 1999 Sorting Things Out: Classification and its Consequences. Cambridge , MA , and London : MIT Press. , and .
- 2006 Reforming Promise. In Documents: Artifacts of Modern Knowledge. Annelise Riles, ed. 41–70. Ann Arbor : University of Michigan. .
- 2009 From the Enemy's Point of View: Violence, Empathy, and the Ethnography of Fakes. Cultural Anthropology 24(3):553–588.
- 2004 Precarious Life: The Powers of Mourning and Violence. London : Verso.
- 2010 Translating Law and Lives: Asylum and Legal Aid in Athens. University of California, Santa Cruz. PhD dissertation , Department of Anthropology, University of California, Santa Cruz .
- 1987 An Anthropologist Among the Historians and Other Essays. New York : Oxford University Press.
- 2001 Suspect Identities: A History of Fingerprinting and Criminal Identification. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press. .
- 1991 Of Revelation and Revolution: Christianity, Colonialism, and Consciousness in South Africa. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. , and
- 2003 Legalizing Moves: Salvadoran Immigrants’ Struggle for U.S. Residency. Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press.
- 2005 Being En Route. American Anthropologist 107(2):195–206.
- 2006 Backed By Papers: Undoing Persons, Histories, and Return. American Ethnologist 33(2):177–190. , and
- 2004 The Signature of the State: The Paradox of Illegibility, In Anthropology in the Margins of the State. Veena Das and Deborah Poole, eds. Pp. 225–252. Oxford : James Currey.
- 2001 Castes of Mind: Colonialism and the Making of Modern India. Princeton , New Jersey : Princeton University Press.
- 2003 Rights of Inclusion: Law and Identity in the Life Stories of Americans with Disabilities. Chicago and London : University of Chicago Press. ., and
- 2010 The Empire of Trauma. Rachel Gomme, trans. Oxford and Princeton : Princeton University Press. , and
- 2011 The Migration Apparatus: Security, Labor, and Policymaking in the European Union. Palo Alto , CA : Stanford University Press. .
- 1980 The Confession of the Flesh. In Power/Knowledge Selected Interviews and Other Writings: 1972–1977. Colin Gordon, ed. 194–229. New York : Pantheon Books.
- 1991 Governmentality. In The Foucault Effect: Studies in Governmentality. Graham Burchell, Colin Gordon, and Peter Miller eds. Pp. 87–105. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 2009 Security, Territory, Population: Lectures at the Collège de France 1977–1978. Graham Burchell, trans. New York : Picador.
- 1986 The Language Parallax: Linguistic Relativism and Poetic Indeterminacy. Austin : University of Texas Press.
- 2006 The Crucible of Citizenship: I.D. Paper Fetishism in the Argentinean Chaco. American Ethnologist 33(2):162–176.
- 1992. The Social Production of Indifference: Exploring the Symbolic Roots of Western Bureaucracy. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. .
- 2010 The Magic of the Populace: An Ethnography of Illegibility in the South African Immigration Bureaucracy. Political and Legal Anthropology Review 33(1):6–25.
- 2003 The File: Agency, Authority, and Autography in an Islamabad Bureaucracy. Language and Communication 23:287–314.
- 2010 L’accueil des demandeurs d’asile. Une ethnographie de l’attente [The Reception of Asylum Seekers: An Ethnography of Waiting]. Paris : Éditions du Cygne.
- 2005 Reassembling the Social: An Introduction to Actor-Network Theory. Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- 2011 No Safe Haven: The Reception of Irregular Boat Migrants in Greece. Ethnologia Balkanica. Journal for Southeast European Anthropology 14.
- 1996 Citizen and Subject: Contemporary Africa and the Legacy of Late Colonialism. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 1997 Life Stories, Disclosure, and the Law. Political and Legal Anthropology Review 20(2):70–82.
- 2002 Lives in Limbo: Temporary Protected Status and Immigrant Identities. Global Networks 2(4):335–356. , , , and
- 2003 Power, Community, and the State: The Political Anthropology of Organization in Mexico. London : Pluto Press.
- 1999 Flexible Citizenship: The Cultural Logics of Transnationality. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 2003 Buddha is Hiding: Refugees, Citizenship, the New America. Berkeley and London : University of California Press.
- 1984 Theory in Anthropology Since the 1960s. Comparative Studies in Society and History 26:126–166.
- 2006 Anthropology and Social Theory: Culture, Power, and the Acting Subject. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 2005 The New Dubliners Implementation of European Council Regulation 343/2003 (Dublin-II) by the Greek Authorities. Journal of Refugee Studies 18(3):299–318. , and .
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees 2008 Unaccompanied Minors Seeking Asylum in Greece, June 2008.
- 1985 The Problem of the Fetish, I. Anthropology and Aesthetics 9:5–17.
- 2001 The Network Inside Out: Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press.
- 2006 Documents: Artifacts of Modern Knowledge. Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press.
- 1998 Seeing Like a State. New Haven : Yale University Press.
- 1997 The Magic of the State. New York : Routledge.
- 2004 My Cocaine Museum. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1991 Sanitation and Seeing: The Creation of State Power in Early Colonial Fiji. Comparative Studies in History and Ethnography 32:149–170.
- 2000 The Invention of the Passport: Surveillance, Citizenship, and the State. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 2008 Files: Artifacts of Modern Knowledge. Stanford , CA : Stanford University Press.