The Tengiz Oil Enclave: Labor, Business, and The State
Article first published online: 1 MAY 2012
©2012 by the American Anthropological Association
PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review
Volume 35, Issue 1, pages 94–114, May 2012
How to Cite
Yessenova, S. (2012), The Tengiz Oil Enclave: Labor, Business, and The State. PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review, 35: 94–114. doi: 10.1111/j.1555-2934.2012.01181.x
- Issue published online: 1 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 1 MAY 2012
- 2006 Work and Change in the Gulf of Mexico Offshore Petroleum Industry. Research in Economic Anthropology 24:89–122. , , and
- 1993 Sustaining Development in Mineral Economies: the Resource-Curse Thesis. London : Routledge.
- 2011 Crude Domination: An Anthropology of Oil. Oxford : Berghahn Books. , , and , eds.
- 2008 The Curse of Aid. Journal of Economic Growth 13:169–194. , , and
- 2000 Energy and Conflict in Central Asia and the Caucasus. New York and London : Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. , and , eds.
- 2006 Global Shadows: Africa in the Neoliberal World Order. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 1996 Mining the Past: Historical Context and the Changing Implications of Natural Resource Extraction. Social Problems 43(4):444–466. , and
- 1998 Political Instability and Business: Focus on Shell in Nigeria. Third World Quarterly 19(3):457–478.
- 2002 Bribery Inquiry Involves Kazakh Chief, and He's Unhappy. The New York Times, Online edition, November 12. http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/11/world/bribery-inquiry-involves-kazakh-chief-and-he-s-unhappy.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm, accessed 20 February, 2012
- 2007 Untapped: The Scramble for Africa's Oil. New York : Harvest Book.
- 1989 Concentrated World Scheduling: Enabling and Constraining Aspects. Sociological Perspectives 32(1):47–64.
- 1996 Oil on the Edge: Offshore Development, Conflict, Gridlock. Albany : State University of New York Press.
- 2003 Exiles Calls for Iraq to Let in Oil Companies. Financial Times, London 2nd Edition, April 7:4.
- 2001 The Price of Oil: What Mobil was up to in Kazakhstan? New Yorker Magazine, July 9:48–65.
- 2006a Multinational Risks. The Wall Street Journal, May 10. http://www.ethankapstein.com/Art/multinationalrisks.pdf, accessed 20 February, 2012
- 2006b Economic Justice in an Unfair World. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press.
- 1997 The Paradox of Plenty. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1996 Glasnost’ po-amerikanski [American glastnost’]. Ak Zhaik [White Zhaik], February 23:1.
- 1998 Legko li stat’ shevroidom?[Is it easy to become a chevroid? Russian Petroleum Investor 3:98-101.
- 1992 ‘Otstupleniye Shevrona: polgoda nazad pervymi ego predskazali ‘Moskovskiye novosti’[Chevron retreats: Moscow news predicted it half a year ago Prikaspiyskaya Kommunna [Caspian Commune], April 22:1–2.
- 2007 The Oil and the Glory: The Pursuit of Empire and Fortune on the Caspian Sea. New York : Random House.
- 2008 15 Zhil TenghizChevroil [15 years of TenghizChevroil]. Atyrau : Caspian Publishing House. , , , and , eds.
- 2010 Out of Africa: The New Global Source for Fresh, Shiny Produce: Famine-Ridden Ethiopia. Maclean's, August 23:46–48.
- 1992 Ostat'sya nadolgo namereny nashi amerikanskiye partnery [Our American partners decided to stay for a long time]. Prikaspiyskaya Kommuna [Caspian Commune], June 20:1.
- 2005 Crude Designs: The Rip-Off of Iraq's Oil Wealth. PLATFORM with Global Policy Forum, Institute for Policy Studies (New Internationalism Project), New Economic Foundation, Oil Change International and War on Want, November, Pp: 1–45. http://www.carbonweb.org, accessed 20 February 2012.
- National Business 2005 Index of Kazakhstan's Largest Businesses. National Business 6(20)30–38.
- 1999 The Political Economy of Resource Curse. World Politics 51(2):297–322.
- 2004 The Sakhalin II PSA–A Production ‘Non-Sharing’ Agreement: Analysis of Revenue Distribution. Shefield Energy & Resources Information Services (SERIS), UK. Pp: 1–34. http://www.bothends.info/mfi/dos3-SakhalinPSA.pdf, accessed 20 February 2012.
- 2001 The Curse of Natural Resources. European Economic Review 45:827–838. and
- 2006 The Ecology of Oil: Environment, Labor, and the Mexican Revolution, 1900-1938. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 2004 Crude Chronicles: Indigenous Politics, Multinational Oil, and Neoliberalism in Ecuador. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 2006 Oil, Cash and Corruption. The New York Times, November 5. P 3.1
- 1993 Commuting to Polar Regions: The Economic, Social and Environmental Impacts of ‘Fly-In’ Operations. Polartech '92. International Conference on Development and Commercial Utilization of Technologies in Polar Regions, Montreal, Proceedings: McGill University, Centre for Northern Studies and Research, pp. 632-656. , and
- 2000 ‘S Vashington Post’ problemy u nas shozhi, hotya i ne sovsem’[Washington Post has similar problems with us, however, not that similar Prikaspiyskaya Kommuna [Caspian Commune], July 22:3.
- 2003 Caspian Oil Windfalls: Who Will Benefit? New York : Open Society Institute.
- 1980 Iranian Oil Workers and 1978-79 Revolution. In Oil and Class Struggle. Petter Nore and Terisa Turner, eds. Pp. 272-286. London : Zed Books.
- 2001 Building Social Movement Unionism: The Transformation of the American Labor Movement. In Rekindling the Movement: Labor's Quest for Relevance in the 21st Century. Lowell Turner, Harry C. Katz, and Richard W. Hurd, eds. Pp. 9-26. Ithaca , NY : Cornell University Press. , and
- 1995 The Current Status of International Petroleum Investment: Regulating, Licensing, Taxing, and Contracting. Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy (CEPMLP) Journal 1: 1–23.
- 2004 Resource Curse? Governmentality, Oil and Power in the Niger Delta, Nigeria. Geopolitics 9(1):50–80.
- 2008 Tengiz Crude: A View from Below. In The Economics and Politics of Oil in the Caspian Basin: The Redistribution of Oil Revenues in Azerbaijan and Central Asia. Richard Pomfret, Gaël Raballand, and Boris Najman, eds. Pp. 176–198. London : Routledge.