The Changing Face of Community-Supported Agriculture
Article first published online: 22 JUN 2010
© 2010 by the American Anthropological Association
Culture & Agriculture
Volume 32, Issue 1, pages 17–26, June 2010
How to Cite
Lang, K. B. (2010), The Changing Face of Community-Supported Agriculture. Culture & Agriculture, 32: 17–26. doi: 10.1111/j.1556-486X.2010.01032.x
- Issue published online: 22 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 22 JUN 2010
- 2000 The Capitalist Composition of Organic: The Potential of Markets in Fulfilling the Promise of Organic Agriculture. Agriculture and Human Values 17: 221–232. , and
- 1991 Farms for Members Only: Where Consumers Foot the Bill—and Share the Risk. The New Farm 13: 16–19.
- 1993 These Farmers Have Customers Who Care: CSA Members Share the Joys and Risks of Farming. The New Farm 15:18–22.
- 1988 Consumer Benefits from Community Supported Agriculture Membership. Review of Agricultural Economics 20: 227–237. , and
- 1999 Close Encounters with a CSA: The Reflections of a Bruised and Somewhat Wiser Anthropologist. Agriculture and Human Values 16: 3–9.
- 2003 Considerably More than Vegetables, A Lot Less than Community: The Dilemma of Community Supported Agriculture. In Fighting for the Farm: Rural America Transformed. J.Adams, ed. Pp. 192–206. Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- 1991 Too Much of a Good Thing: Subscription Farming Soured Other Successful Enterprises. The New Farm 13: 14–15.
- 2002 Community Supported Agriculture in Central Pennsylvania. Culture and Agriculture 24: 42–51.
- 2005 Class Acts: An Anthropology of Service Workers and Their Union. Boulder, CO: Paradigm Publishers. , and
- 2002 Community Supported Agriculture, Food Consumption Patterns, and Member Commitment. Culture and Agriculture 24 (1): 14–25.
- 2002 Knowing Food and Growing Food: Beyond the Production-Consumption Debate in the Sociology of Agriculture. Sociologia Ruralis 42: 5–22. , and
- 1995 Where the Grass Grows Again: Knowledge Exchange in the Sustainable Agriculture Movement. Rural Sociology 60: 721–741. , and
- 1999 Sharing the Harvest: A Guide to Community Supported Agriculture. White River Junction, VT: Chelsea Green. , , and
- 2000 Embeddedness and Local Food Systems: Notes on Two Types of Direct Agricultural Market. Journal of Rural Studies 16: 295–303.
- 1994 Community Supported Agriculture or, the Next Best Thing to Owning a Farm. San Diego Earth Times, April 1–3.
- 1997 Maximizing Shareholder Retention in Southeastern CSAs: A Step Toward Long Term Stability. Published report by the Organic Farming Research Foundation. , and
- 1997 Factors Influencing the Decision to Join a Community Supported (CSA) Farm. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture 20: 129–141. , and
- 2005 Expanding our Understanding of Community Supported Agriculture (CSA): An Examination of Member Satisfaction. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture 26: 61–79.
- 1991 Community Supported Agriculture. In Green Business: Hope or Hoax? Toward an Authentic Strategy for Restoring the Earth. C.Plant and J.Plant, eds. Pp. 105–109. Philadelphia, PA: New Society Publishers.
- 1994 Collective Behavior and Social Movements. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. , and
- 1973 The Trends of Social Movements in America: Professionalization and Resource Mobilization. Morristown, NJ: General Learning Press. , and
- 1977 Resource Mobilization and Social Movements: A Partial Theory. American Journal of Sociology 82: 1212–1241. , and
- 1987 The Trend of Social Movements in America: Professionalization and Resource Mobilization. In Social Movements in an Organizational Society. M.Zald and J.McCarthy, eds. Pp. 337–392. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Books. , and
- 1997 Farms of Tomorrow Revisited: Community Supported Farms—Farm Supported Communities. Kimberton, PA: Biodynamic Farming Association. , and
- 2004 Direct from Farm to Table: Community Supported Agriculture in Western Illinois. Culture and Agriculture 26: 149–163. , , and
- 1997 Making the Transition from Conventional to Sustainable Agriculture: Gender, Social Movement Participation and Quality of Life on the Family Farm. Rural Sociology 62: 21–47.
- 1997 Community Supported Agriculture Success Story: Making Farm to Consumer Connections. Acres USA June:1–21.
- 2001 Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community. New York City, NY: Simon and Schuster.
- 1988 Community Supported Agriculture. Mother Earth News 127: 55–59.
- The Capital Area Food Bank 2009 Capital Campaign Overview. http://www.capitalareafoodbank.org/support/Capital_Campaign.cfm.
- The Northeast Organic Farming Association of New York Inc. 2007 Survey of CSA Farms in New York State. http://www.nofany.org/projects/csaproject/nofa-nycsasurvey.pdf.
- United States Department of Agriculture 2007 Community Supported Agriculture Database. http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/csa/csastate.htm.
- 1987 Social Movement Organizations: Growth, Decay and Change. In Social Movements in an Organizational Society. M.Zald and J.McCarthy, eds. Pp. 121–142. New Brunswick, NJ. , and