Current address: 6611 W. Whooping Crane Dr. Wood River, NE 68883
Demography and population trends of Whooping Cranes
Article first published online: 27 FEB 2012
©2012 The Authors. Journal of Field Ornithology ©2012 Association of Field Ornithologists
Journal of Field Ornithology
Volume 83, Issue 1, pages 1–10, February 2012
How to Cite
Gil-Weir, K. C., Grant, W. E., Slack, R. D., Wang, H.-H. and Fujiwara, M. (2012), Demography and population trends of Whooping Cranes. Journal of Field Ornithology, 83: 1–10. doi: 10.1111/j.1557-9263.2011.00349.x
- Issue published online: 27 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 27 FEB 2012
- Received 10 August 2010; accepted 30 November 2011
- 1952. The Whooping Crane. National Audubon Society, New York , NY .
- and . 2004. Family-based territoriality vs. flocking in wintering Common Cranes Grus grus. Journal of Avian Biology 35: 434–444. , ,
- and . 2000. Sampling and statistical methods for behavioral ecologists. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK . , ,
- and . 2001. Mortality of Whooping Crane colts in Wood Buffalo National Park, Canada, 1997–99. Proceedings of the North American Crane Workshop 8: 6–10. , ,
- and . 1980. Survivorship of the Whooping Crane. Ecology 61: 434–437. ,
- and . 1983. Population characteristics of the Whooping Crane. Canadian Journal of Zoology 61: 2768–76. ,
- and . 1988. Recovery of the Whooping Crane Grus americana. Biological Conservation 45: 11–20. ,
- and . 2003. Density dependence, territoriality, and divisibility of resources: from optimality models to population processes. American Naturalist 161: 26–336. ,
- 1987. Time-series analysis and forecasting of the Aransas-Wood Buffalo Whooping Crane population. In: Proceedings of the 1985 Crane Workshop (J. C. Lewis, ed.), pp. 1–9. Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Grand Island , NE .
- and . 1999. Comparison of the population viability analysis packages GAPS, INMAT, RAMAS and VORTEX for the Whooping Crane (Grus americana). Animal Conservation 2: 23–31. , , , ,
- and , , and . 2000a. Differences and congruencies between PVA packages: the importance of sex ratio for predictions of extinction risk. Conservation Ecology 4: 1–17. , , , ,
- and , , , , , and . 2000b. Predictive accuracy of population viability analysis in conservation biology. Nature 404: 385–387. ,
- and . 2008. A spatial-temporal analysis of section 404 wetland permitting in Texas and Florida: thirteen years of impact along the coast wetlands. Wetlands 28: 107–116. , , ,
- and . 2006. Growth patterns of Carolina wolfberry (Lycium carolinianum L.) in the salt marshes of Aransas National Wildlife Refuge, Texas, USA. Wetlands 26: 845–853. ,
- Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS).2007. International recovery plan for the Whooping Crane. Recovery of Nationally Endangered Wildlife (RENEW), Ottawa, ON, Canada, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Albuquerque , NM .
- 2001. Matrix population models: construction, analysis and interpretation. Sinauer, Sunderland , MA .
- 2004. Whooping Cranes in Nebraska: historical and recent trends. Spring 2004 Crane Migration Report. Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc., Grand Island , NE .
- and . 1996. Ecological correlates of Whooping Crane use of fire-treated upland habitats. Conservation Biology 10; 217–223. , , ,
- and . 2011. Beyond predictions: biodiversity conservation in a changing climate. Science 332: 53–58. , , , ,
- and online. 2011. Record heat of 2011. http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/2011-heat-superlatives_2011-07-15#story1 (1 November 2011). ,
- 1976. Whooping Crane studies at the Patuxent Wildlife Research Center. Proceedings of the International Crane Workshop 1: 166–176.
- and . 1969. On territorial behavior and other factors influencing habitat distribution in birds. 1. Theoretical development. Acta Biotheoretica 19: 16–36. ,
- 2006. Whooping Crane (Grus americana) demography and environmental factors in a population growth simulation model. Ph.D. dissertation. Texas A&M University, College Station , TX .
- and . 2007. Valuepack: multivariate data analysis/SPSS 15.0 student version for Windows. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs , NJ . , , ,
- IPCC Climate Change. 2007. Impacts, adaptation and vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK .
- and . 1996. Nutritional value of winter food for Whooping Cranes. Wilson Bulletin 108: 728–739. , ,
- and . 2004. Banded Whooping Crane records along the Central Flyway. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Grand Island , NE . ,
- and . 2005. Philopatry and dispersal in Whooping Cranes. Proceedings of the North American Crane Workshop 9: 117–125. , , ,
- and . 1958. Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations. Journal of the American Statistical Association 53: 457–481. ,
- and . 2005. Survival analysis: a self-learning text, 2nd ed. Springer, New York , NY . ,
- 1979. Banding of Juvenile Whooping Cranes on the breeding range in the Northwest Territories, Canada. North American Bird Bander 4: 24–25.
- 1981. Clutch size, hatching success, and survival of Whooping Crane chicks, Wood Buffalo National Park, Canada. In: Proceedings of the International Crane Symposium, Sapporo, Japan (J. C. Lewis and H. Masatomi, eds.), pp. 126–129. International Crane Foundation, Baraboo , WI . .
- 1987. Survival, age composition, sex ratio, and age at first breeding of Whooping Cranes. In: Proceedings of the 1985 Crane Workshop (J. C. Lewis, ed.), pp. 230–244. Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Grand Island , NE . , and .
- 1995. Whooping Crane (Grus americana). In: The birds of North America, No. 153 (A. Poole and F. Gill, eds.). The Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, and The American Ornithologists' Union, Washington , D.C .
- and . 1988. Mortality in fledged cranes of the Aransas/Wood Buffalo Population. Proceedings of the North American Crane Workshop 5: 145–147. , , ,
- and . 2003. Demographic analysis from summaries of an age-structured population. Biometrics 59: 778–785. , ,
- and . 2001. Analysis of landscape patterns in coastal wetlands of Galveston Bay, Texas (USA). Landscape Ecology 16: 581–595. ,
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment.2005. Ecosystems and human well-being: opportunities and challenges for business and industry. World Resources Institute, Washington , D.C .
- and . 1974. The Whooping Crane (Grus americana) population of North America. Biological Conservation 6: 106–111. , ,
- and . 2002. Nekton in gulf coast wetlands: fine scale distributions, landscape patterns, and restoration implications. Ecological Applications 12: 441–455. ,
- and . 1997. Computer simulations of possible futures for two flocks of Whooping Cranes. Proceedings of the North American Crane Workshop 7: 181–200. , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2004. National assessment of shoreline change. Part 1: Historical shoreline changes and associated coastal land loss along the U.S. Gulf of Mexico. U.S. Geological Survey Open-file Report 2004-1043. Center for Coastal and Watershed Studies, St. Petersburg , FL . , ,
- and . 2002. Agricultural production and wetland habitat quality in a coastal prairie ecosystem: simulated effects of alternative resource policies on land-use decisions. Ecological Modelling 150: 23–43. ,
- 2004. Coastal flooding and wetland loss in the 21st century: changes under the SRES climate and socio-economic scenarios. Global Environmental Change 14: 69–86.
- 2004. Whooping Cranes during the 2003–2004 winter. U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Austwell , TX .
- 2009. Whooping Cranes during the 2008–2009 winter. U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Austwell , TX . .
- 1987. Distribution of winter territories of Whooping Cranes on the Texas coast. In: Proceedings of the 1985 Crane Workshop (J. C. Lewis, ed.), pp. 180–195. Platte River Whooping Crane Habitat Maintenance Trust, Wood River , NE . , and .
- and . 2010. Changes in winter Whooping Crane territories and range 1950–2006. Proceedings of the North American Crane Workshop 11: 40–56. ,
- 2008.Aerial census techniques for Whooping Cranes on the Texas Coast. Proceedings of the North American Crane Workshop 10: 146–151. , and .
- 2008. Whooping Crane collision with power lines: an issue paper. Proceedings of the North American Crane Workshop 10: 25–36. , and .
- 2004. The Whooping Crane: population viability and critical habitat in the Wood Buffalo National Park area NT/AB Canada. Elutis Modelling and Consulting, Ottawa , ON , Canada .
- and . 1999. Program MARK: survival estimation from populations of marked animals. Bird Study 46: S1, S120–S139. ,
- and 1997. Wetland losses related to fault movement and hydrocarbon production, southeastern Texas coast. Journal of Coastal Research 13: 1305–1320. ,