SPECIALIZATION AND LOCAL ADAPTATION OF A FUNGAL PARASITE ON TWO HOST PLANT SPECIES AS REVEALED BY TWO FITNESS TRAITS
Version of Record online: 31 JAN 2007
Volume 61, Issue 1, pages 27–41, January 2007
How to Cite
Sicard, D., Pennings, P. S., Grandclément, C., Acosta, J., Kaltz, O. and Shykoff, J. A. (2007), SPECIALIZATION AND LOCAL ADAPTATION OF A FUNGAL PARASITE ON TWO HOST PLANT SPECIES AS REVEALED BY TWO FITNESS TRAITS. Evolution, 61: 27–41. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2007.00003.x
- Issue online: 31 JAN 2007
- Version of Record online: 31 JAN 2007
- Received February 7, 2006Accepted October 1, 2006
- 2000. Host-range evolution: adaptation and trade-offs in fitness of mites on alternative hosts. Ecology 81:500–508.
- 2001. Parasites and the evolution of self-fertilization. Evolution 55:869–879. , and .
- 1995. Host-pathogen relationship of geographically diverse isolates of Septoria tritici and wheat cultivars. Plant Pathol. 44:838–847. , , and .
- 2004. Accumulation of genes for susceptibility to rust fungi for which barley is nearly a nonhost results in two barley lines with extreme multiple susceptibility. Planta 220:71–79. , , and .
- 1992. Infection strategies of Colletotrichum species. Pp. 88–120 in J. A.Bailey and M. J.Jeger, eds. Colletotrichum: biology, pathology and control. C. A. B., Oxon , U.K . , , , and .
- 2003. Local adaptation and ecological genetics of host-plant specialization in a leaf beetle. Oikos 101:70–78. , , , and .
- 1998. Chemical phenotype matching between a plant and its insect herbivore. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 95:13743–13748. , and .
- 1988. On the evolution of host specificity in phytophagous arthropods. Ecology 69:886–892. , and .
- 2004. Community context and specialization influence coevolution between a slavemaking ant and its hosts. Ecology 85:2997–3009. , and .
- 2004. QTL analysis of quantitative resistance to Phytophthora infestans (late blight) in tomato and comparisons with potato. Genome 47:475–492. , , and .
- 1992. Sexuality and genetics of Colletotrichum. Pp . 27–47 in J. A.Bailey, and M. J.Jeger, eds. Colletotrichum: biology, pathology and control. C. A. B., Oxon , U.K . , , , and .
- 2000. Host-specific differentiation in the anther smut fungus Microbotryum violaceum as revealed by microsatellites. J. Evol. Biol. 13:188–198. , , and .
- 1994. Sympatric speciation in animals: new wine in old bottles. Trends Ecol. Evol. 9:285–288.
- 2005. Local adaptation and population structure at a micro-geographical scale of a fungal parasite on its host plant. J. Evol. Biol. 18:1445–1454. , and .
- 1997. Anther-smut disease in Silene dioica: variation in susceptibility among genotypes and populations patterns of disease within populations. Evolution 51:1416–1426.
- 1998. Genetic structure of wild bean populations in their South-Andean centre of origin. Theor. Appl. Genet. 96:844–851. , , and .
- 2006. Host-microbe interactions: shaping the evolution of the plant immune response. Cell 124:803–814. , , , and .
- 1993. Behavioral evidence for host-race formation in Eurosta solidaginis. Evolution 47:1696–1710. , , , and .
- 1996. Ecological genetic interactions between a clonal host plant (Spartina pectinata) and associated rust fungi (Puccinia seymouriana and Puccinia sparganioides). Oecologia 105:205–213. , , and .
- 2001. Host range and alternate host of a Puccinia coronata population from smooth brome grass. Plant Dis. 85:513–516. , , and .
- 1988. Variation, taxonomy, domestication, and germplasms potentialities in Phaseolus coccineus. Pp. 441–463 in P.Gepts, ed. Genetic resources of Phaseolus beans. Kluwer Academic Publisher, London .
- 1999. Phylogenetic analysis of the cultivated and wild species of Phaseolus (Fabaceae). Syst. Bot. 24:438–460. , , , and .
- 2003. Polymorphism of a complex resistance gene candidate family in wild populations of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) in Argentina: comparison with phenotypic resistance polymorphism. Mol. Ecol. 12:263–273. , , , , and .
- 1993. Survival of Colletotrichum lindemuthianum in beans debris in New York State. Plant Dis. 77:1233–1238. , and .
- 2003. Parasite local adaptation: red queen versus suicide king. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18:523–530. , and .
- 1994. Virulence and local adaptation of a horizontally transmitted parasite. Science 265:1084–1086.
- 1987. Selection for minor gene resistance to Albugo candida in a rapid-cycling population of Brassica campestris. Phytopathology 77:527–532. , and .
- 2002. Functional conservation of wheat and rice Mlo orthologs in defense modulation to the powdery mildew fungus. Mol. Plant Microbe Interact. 15:1069–1077. , , , , and .
- 1994. Genetic structure and mating systems in wild and cultivated populations of Phaseolus coccineus and P. vulgaris (Fabaceae). Am. J. Bot. 81:1096–1103. , , , and .
- 1994. Host fidelity is an effective pre-mating barrier between sympatric races of the Apple Maggot Fly. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 91:7990–7994. , , , , , and .
- 1981. Skepticism toward Santa Rosalia, or why are there so few kinds of animals? Evolution 35:124–138.
- 1956. The complementary genic systems in flax and flax rust. Adv. Genet. 8:29–54.
- 1996. The evolution of host specialization: are trade-offs overrated? Am. Nat. 148:S84–S107.
- 2003a. Detecting ecological trade-offs using selection experiments. Ecology 84:1672–1678.
- 2003b. Multilocus models of sympatric speciation: Bush versus Rice versus Felsenstein. Evolution 57:1735–1746.
- 1988. The evolution of ecological specialization. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 19:201–233. , and .
- 2002. Local adaptation, evolutionary potential and host-parasite coevolution: interactions between migration, mutation, population size and generation time. J. Evol. Biol. 15:451–462. , and .
- 1996. Local adaptation and gene-for-gene coevolution in a metapopulation model. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263:1003–1009. , , , , and .
- 1999. Identification of an ancestral resistance gene cluster involved in the coevolution process between Phaseolus vulgaris and its fungal pathogen Colletotrichum lindemuthianum. Mol. Plant Microbe Interact. 12:774–784. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Inheritance of partial resistance against Colletotrichum lindemuthianum in Phaseolus vulgaris and co-localization of quantitative trait loci with genes involved in specific resistance. Mol. Plant Microbe Interact. 13:287–296. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Origin and evolution of common bean: past events and recent trends. HortScience 33:1124–1130.
- 1991. Origin, domestication, and evolution of the common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) L. Pp. 7–53 in A.Van Schoonhoven, and O.Voysest, eds. Common beans: research for crop improvement. C. A. B., Wallingford , U.K . , and .
- 2006. Importance of the life cycle in sympatric host race formation and speciation of pathogens. Phytopathology 96:280–287. , , , , and .
- 1990. Sexual reproduction as an adaptation to resist parasites. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 87:3566–3573. , , and .
- 1959. Homage to Santa Rosalia or why are there so many kinds of animals? Am. Nat. 93:145–159.
- 1995. Effects of disease in wild populations and the evolution of pathogen aggressiveness. New Phytol. 129:371–387. , and .
- 1995. Trade-offs and the evolution of host specialization. Evol. Ecol. 9:82–92. , and .
- 1998. Local adaptation in host-parasite systems. Heredity 81:361–370. , and .
- 2002. Within and among population variation in infectivity, latency and spore production in a host-pathogen system. J. Evol. Biol. 15:850–860. , and .
- 1999. Local maladaptation in the anther-smut fungus Microbotryum violaceum to its host plant Silene latifolia: evidence from a cross-inoculation experiment. Evolution 53:395–407. , , , and .
- 1998. Red queen meets Santa Rosalia: arms races and the evolution of host specialization in organisms with parasitic lifestyles. Am. Nat. 152:635–651.
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Letts. 7:1225–1241. , and .
- 2002. Evolutionary implications of host-pathogen specificity: fitness consequences of pathogen virulence traits. Evol. Ecol. Res. 4:27–48. , and .
- 2000. Local adaptation of a holoparasitic plant, Cuscuta europeae: variation among populations. J. Evol. Biol. 13:749–755. , , and .
- 2005. Spatial scale of local adaptation in a plant-pathogen metapopulation. J. Evol. Biol. 18:930–938.
- 2002. Host range and local parasite adaptation. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 269:703–710. , and .
- 2006. Environmental influence on the genetic basis of mosquito resistance to malaria parasites. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 273:1501–1506. , , , and .
- 1989. Adaptation by a parasitic trematode to local populations of its snail host. Evolution 43:1663–1671.
- 1999. Genetic relationships between parasite virulence and transmission in the rodent malaria Plasmodium chabaudi. Evolution 53:689–703. , and .
- 1996. A trade-off for host plant utilization in the black bean aphid, Aphis fabae. Evolution 50:155–162.
- 1966. Sympatric speciation. Am. Nat. 100:637–650.
- 2001. Host specificity of a generalist parasite: genetic evidence of sympatric host races in the seabird tick Ixodes uriae. J. Evol. Biol. 14:395–405. , , , and .
- 2003. An investigation into the involvement of defense signaling pathways in components of the nonhost resistance of Arabidopsis thaliana to rust fungi also reveals a model system for studying rust fungal compatibility. Mol. Plant Microbe Interact. 16:398–404. , and .
- 1998. Genetic structure and local adaptation in natural insect populations: effects of ecology, life history and behavior. Chapman and Hall, New York . , and .
- 1996. Parasite-host coevolution and geographic patterns of parasite infectivity and host susceptibility. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 263:119–128. , , and .
- 2003. Puccinia tanaceti: specialist or generalist? Mycol. Res. 107:797–802.
- 2005. Non-host resistance in plants: new insights into an old phenomenon. Mol. Plant Pathol. 6:335–345. , and .
- 2003. Asymmetry of gene flow and differential geographical structure of molecular diversity in wild and domesticated common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) from Mesoamerica. Theor. Appl. Genet. 106:239–250. , and .
- 2002. Host preference and larval performance suggest host race formation in Galerucella nymphaeae. Oecologia 130:433–440. , , and .
- 1985. Local population differentiation for compatibility in an annual legume and its host-specific fungal pathogen. Evolution 39:713–723.
- 1989. Disease impact and local genetic diversity in the clonal plant Podophyllum peltatum. Evolution 43:540–547.
- 1989. Anthracnose. Pp. 77–105 in S. H. F.Schwartz, and M. A.Pastor-Corrales, eds. Bean production problems in the tropics. CIAT, Cali , Colombia . , and .
- 1995. Behavioral ecology of oviposition in the pipevine swallowtail, Battus philenor. Pp. 53–62 in J. M.Scriber, Y.Tsubaki, and R. C.Lederhouse, eds. Ecology and evolutionary biology of the papilionidae. Scientific Publishers, Washington .
- 2000. Evolutionary dynamics of pathogen resistance and tolerance. Evolution 54:51–63. , and .
- 1987. Speciation via habitat specialization: the evolution of reproductive isolation as a correlated character. Evol. Ecol. 1:301–314.
- 2005. Parasite-host fitness trade-offs change with parasite identity: genotype-specific interactions in a plant-pathogen system. Evolution 59:2518–2524. , , and .
- SAS Institute. 1988. SAS procedure's guide, release 6.03 ed. SAS Institute, Cary , NC .
- SAS Institute. 1997. JMP statistics and graphic guide. SAS Institute, Cary , NC .
- 2001. Ecology and the origin of species. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:372–380.
- 1997a. Genetic variability of Colletotrichum lindemuthianum in wild populations of common bean. Plant Pathol. 46:355–365. , , , and .
- 1997b. Genetic diversity and pathogenic variation of Colletotrichum lindemuthianum in the three centers of diversity of its host, Phaseolus vulgaris. Phytopathology 87:807–813. , , , and .
- 1980. Statistical methods. 7th ed. Iowa State Univ. Press, Ames , IA . , and .
- 2003. Evolution of virulence in a plant host-pathogen metapopulation. Science 299:1735–1737. , and .
- 2002. Local adaptation in the Linum marginale-Melampsora lini host-pathogen interaction. Evolution 56:1340–1351. , , and .
- 1998. Scale-dependent evolution of specialization in a checkerspot butterfly: from individuals to metapopulations and ecotypes. Pp. 343–374 in S.Mopper, and S. Y.Strauss, eds. Genetic structure and local adaptation in natural insect populations: effects of ecology, life history and behavior. Chapman and Hall, New York . , and .
- 1994. The coevolutionary process. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago .
- 1992. Gene-for-gene coevolution between plants and parasites. Nature 360:121–125. , and .
- 1999. Performance trade-offs for two hosts within and between populations of the oligophagous grasshopper Hesperotettix viridis (Acrididiae). Oikos 87:239–250. , and .
- 2004. Mechanistic and genetic overlap of barley host and non host resistance to Blumeria graminis. Mol. Plant Pathol. 5:389–396. , , , , and .
- 1992. Colletotrichum lindemuthianum on beans: population dynamics of the pathogen and breeding for resistance. Pp. 203–224 in J. A.Bailey, and M. J.Jeger, eds. Colletotrichum: biology, pathology and Control. C.A.B., Oxon , U.K .
- 2005. Host-related genetic differentiation in the anther smut Microbotryum violaceum in sympatric, parapatric and allopatric populations of two host species Silene latifolia and S. dioica. J. Evol. Biol. 18:203–212. , , and .
- 1991. The genetic structure of host plant adaptation in a spatial patchwork: demographic variability among reciprocally transplanted pea aphid clones. Evolution 45:827–852.
- 1999. Reproductive isolation between sympatric races of pea aphids. I. Gene flow restriction and habitat choice. Evolution 53:1446–1457.
- 2003. Genetic and forma specialis diversity in Blumeria graminis of cereals and its implications for host-pathogen co-evolution. Mol. Plant Pathol. 4:187–198. , and .
- 1984. Biostatistical analysis, 2nd ed. Englewood Cliffs , NJ .