PROBING THE ADAPTIVE LANDSCAPE USING EXPERIMENTAL ISLANDS: DENSITY-DEPENDENT NATURAL SELECTION ON LIZARD BODY SIZE
Version of Record online: 31 MAR 2007
Volume 61, Issue 5, pages 1052–1061, May 2007
How to Cite
Calsbeek, R. and Smith, T. B. (2007), PROBING THE ADAPTIVE LANDSCAPE USING EXPERIMENTAL ISLANDS: DENSITY-DEPENDENT NATURAL SELECTION ON LIZARD BODY SIZE. Evolution, 61: 1052–1061. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2007.00093.x
- Issue online: 19 APR 2007
- Version of Record online: 31 MAR 2007
- Received September 20, 2006Accepted December 20, 2006
- 2006. The effects of floral mimics and models on each others' fitness. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 273:969–974. , and .
- 2003. Correlated evolution of colour pattern and body size in polymorphic pygmy grasshoppers, Tetrix undulata. J. Evol. Biol. 16:1308–1318. , and .
- 1991. Measuring selection on a population of damselflies with a manipulated phenotype. Evolution 45:1091–1106.
- 2005. Toe-clipping dramatically reduces clinging performance in a pad-bearing lizard (Anolis carolinensis). J. Herpetol. 39:288–293. , and .
- 2004. Can intraspecific competition drive disruptive selection? An experimental test in natural populations of sticklebacks. Evolution 58:608–618.
- 1975. Competition, the fitness of offspring, and optimal clutch size. Am. Nat. 109:677–699.
- 1995. Visualizing and quantifying natural-selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10:313–318. , , and .
- 1984. The effect of larval density on an inversion polymorphism in the Seaweed Fly Coelopa frigida. Heredity 52:415–423. , , and .
- 2006. Variation in scale numbers is consistent with ecologically based natural selection acting within and between lizard species. Evol. Ecol. 20:377–394. , , and .
- 2002. The ontogeny of territoriality during maturation. Oecologia 132:468–477. , and .
- 2003. Ocean currents mediate evolution in island lizards. Nature 426:552–555. , and .
- 1992. Heritability of body size of green swordtails, Xiphophorus helleri.1. Sib analyses of males reared individually and in groups. J. Hered. 83:43–48.
- 2003. Social competition, corticosterone and survival in female lizard morphs. J. Evol. Biol. 16:948–955. , , , and
- 2005. Ecological and community-wide character displacement: the next generation. Ecol. Lett. 8:875–894. , and .
- 1996. Testing the adaptive plasticity hypothesis: density-dependent selection on manipulated stem length in Impatiens capensis. Am. Nat. 147:445–465. , and .
- 1986. Natural selection in the wild. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ .
- 1996. Introduction to quantitative genetics. Longman, Essex , U.K. . , and .
- 1969. On territorial behavior and other factors influencing habitat distribution in birds. I. Theoretical development. Acta. Biotheorm. 19:16–36. , and .
- 1999. Density dependence, prey dependence, and population dynamics of martens in Ontario. Ecology 80:1311–1321. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Fitness landscapes and the origin of species. Princeton University Press, Princeton, N.G.
- 2006. Evolution of character displacement in Darwin's finches. Science 313:224–226. , and .
- 1996. Density dependence, hatching synchrony, and within-cohort cannibalism in young dragonfly larvae. Ecology 77:191–200. , , and .
- 1992. Comparing evolvability and variability of quantitative traits. Genetics 130:195–204.
- 1998. A comparative analysis of the ecological significance of maximal locomotor performance in Caribbean Anolis lizards. Evolution 52:219–226. , and .
- 1998. Logistic regression for empirical studies of multivariate selection. Evolution 52:1564–1571. , and .
- 1992. Quantitative genetic-variation in body size of mice from new mutations. Genetics 131:693–700. , and .
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. Am. Nat. 157:245–261. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Interactions among quantitative traits in the course of sympatric speciation. Nature 400:351–354. , and .
- 1993. Experimental studies on water strider mating dynamics—spatial variation in density and sex-ratio. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 33:107–120. , and .
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37:1210–1226. , and .
- 2005. Effect of patch occupancy on immigration in the common lizard. J. Anim. Ecol. 74:241–249. , , and .
- 1990. The evolution of form and function: morphology and locomotor performance in West Indian Anolis lizards. Evolution 44:1189–1203.
- 1994. Integrative studies of evolutionary ecology: Caribbean Anolis lizards as a model system. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 25:467–493.
- 1994. Adaptation and constraint in the evolution of specialization of Bahamian Anolis lizards. Evolution 48:1786–1798. , , and .
- 2004. Predator-induced behaviour shifts and natural selection in field-experimental lizard populations. Nature 432:505–508. , , and .
- 2001. Experimental studies of adaptive differentiation in Bahamian Anolis lizards. Genetica (Dordrecht) 112–113:399–415. , , , and .
- 1989. The effect of morphology and perch diameter on sprint performance of Anolis lizards. J. Exp. Biol. 145:23–30. , and .
- 1999. Differential colonization success and asymmetrical interactions between two lizard species. Ecology 80:252–258. , and .
- 1990. Applied linear statistical models: regression, analysis of variance, and experimental designs. 4th ed. Richard, D. Irwin, Inc., Homewood , Ill . , and .
- 1967. The theory of island biogeography. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ . , and .
- 1986. Competition and body size. Theor. Pop. Biol. 30:166–179. , and .
- 2003. Variation in viability selection among cohorts of juvenile red squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus). Evolution 57:1689–1697. , and .
- 1998. Genetic variation and causes of genotype-environment interaction in the body size of blue tit (Parus caeruleus). Genetics 148:1233–1244. , and .
- 2001. Explaining stasis: microevolutionary studies in natural populations. Genetica 112:199–222. , , and .
- 1987. Regression-analysis of natural selection statistical inference and biological interpretation. Evolution 41:1149–1161. , and .
- 1997. Should congruence between intra- and interspecific ecomorphological relationships be expected? A case study with the great tit, Parus major. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 264:533–539. , , and .
- 1981. Trade-off between r-selection and K-selection in Drosophila populations. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 78:1303–1305. , and .
- 2000. Ownership influences the outcome of male-male contests in the scincid lizard, Niveosscincus microlepidotus. Behav. Ecol. 11:587–590. , and .
- 2002. Effects of an individuals removal on space use and behavior in territorial neighborhoods of brown anoles (Anolis sagrei). Herpetologica 58:382–393.
- 1982. Resource partitioning and interspecific competition in two two-species insular Anolis lizard communities. Science 217:444–446. , and .
- 1979. Sympatric speciation: a simulation study. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 11:131–139.
- 1991. Dear enemy recognition in Anolis carolinenis. J. Herpetol. 25:361–363. , and .
- 1978. Competition speciation. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 10:275–289.
- 1971. Density-dependent natural selection. Ecology 52:453–468.
- 1985. Effects of reduced perch height separation on competition between 2 Anolis Lizards. Ecology 66:430–444. , and .
- 1988. Estimating the form of natural selection on a quantitative trait. Evolution 42:849–861.
- 2000. The ecology of adaptive radiation. Oxford Univ. Press, New York .
- 1983. Field experiments in interspecific competition. Am. Nat. 122:240–285.
- 1982. Intraspecific variation in home-range size in some Anolis lizards. Ecology 63:809–823. , and .
- 2004. Male-male competition and nuptial-colour displacement as a diversifying force in Lake Victoria cichlid fishes. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B. 271:1345–1353. , and .
- 2005. Faster development does not lead to correlated evolution of greater pre-adult competitive ability in Drosophila melanogaster. Biol. Lett. 1:91–94. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Density cycles and an offspring quantity and quality game driven by natural selection. Nature 406:985–988. , , and .
- 1976. Implications of density-dependent population growth for frequency and density-dependent selection. Am. Nat. 110:849–860.
- 1971. Population biology of Dandelions. Am. Sci. 59:686–694.
- 1994. Territory acquisition in lizards: I. First encounters. Anim. Behav. 47:1375–1385. , and .
- 1995. Territory acquisition in lizards: III. Competing for space. Anim. Behav. 49:679–693. , and .
- 1998. Territory acquisition in lizards: IV. Obtaining high status and exclusive home ranges. Anim. Behav. 55:461–472. , and .
- 2005. Female polymorphism, frequency dependence, and rapid evolutionary dynamics in natural populations. Am. Nat. 165:567–576. , , and .
- 2000. Experimental excursions on adaptive landscapes: density dependent selection on egg size. Evolution 54:1396–1403. , and .
- 1987. Effects of corticosterone treatment on male aggressive behavior in a lizard (Anolis segrei). Horm. Behav. 21:358–370.
- 1985. Body size as a factor determining dominance in staged agonistic encounters between male brown anoles (Anolis sagrei). Anim. Behav. 33:746–753.
- 1990. The causes of natural selection. Evolution 44:1947–1955. , and .
- 1983. Ecomorphs, faunas, island size, and diverse endpoints in island radiations of Anolis. Pp. 326–370 in R. B. Huey, E. R. Pianka, and T. W. Schoener, eds. Lizard ecology: studies of a model organism. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge , MA .