HOST PLANT GENOTYPE INFLUENCES SURVIVAL OF HYBRIDS BETWEEN EUROSTA SOLIDAGINIS HOST RACES
Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2007
Volume 61, Issue 11, pages 2607–2613, November 2007
How to Cite
Craig, T. P., Itami, J. K. and Craig, J. V. (2007), HOST PLANT GENOTYPE INFLUENCES SURVIVAL OF HYBRIDS BETWEEN EUROSTA SOLIDAGINIS HOST RACES. Evolution, 61: 2607–2613. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2007.00209.x
- Issue online: 23 AUG 2007
- Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2007
- Received September 19, 2006Accepted May 24, 2007
- 1997. Evolutionary ecology across three trophic levels: goldenrods, gallmakers, and natural enemies. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ . , and .
- 1985. Analysis of hybrid zones. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 16:113–148. , and .
- 1996. Mitochondrial DNA phylogeography of host races of the goldenrod ball gallmaker, Eurosta solidaginis (Diptera: Tephritidae). Evolution 50:777–786. , , and .
- 2004. Speciation. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA . , and .
- 2008. The resource constraints hypothesis and the evolution of preference and performance relationships. in K.Tilmon ed. The evolution of plant-insect interactions. Univ. of California Press, Berkeley, CA . , and .
- 1997. Hybridization studies on the host races of Eurosta solidaginis: implications for sympatric speciation. Evolution 51:1552–1560. , , and .
- 2001. Genetics, experience and host-plant preference in Eurosta solidaginis: implications for host shifts and speciation. Evolution 55:773–782. , , and .
- 1993. Behavioral evidence for host–race formation in Eurosta solidaginis. Evolution 47:1696–1710. , , , and .
- ———. 1999. Oviposition preference and offspring performance of Eurosta solidaginis on genotypes of Solidago altissima. Oikos 86:119–128.
- 1989. A strong relationship between oviposition preference and larval performance in a shoot-galling sawfly. Ecology 70:1691–1699. , , and .
- 2000. The influence of host plant variation and intraspecific competition on oviposition preference and offspring performance in the host races of Eurosta solidaginis. Ecol. Entomol. 25:7–18. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Temporal variation in herbivore host-plant preference and performance: constraints on host-plant adaptation. Oikos 93:312–320. , , and .
- 1993. Hybrid zones and the evolutionary process. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K .
- 1999. Ecological speciation in sticklebacks: environment–dependent hybrid fitness. Evolution 53:866–873. , and .
- 1996. Intraspecific competition in the goldenrod ball-gallmaker (Eurosta solidaginis): larval mortality, adult fitness, ovipositional and host-plant response. Am. Midl. Nat. 136:121–133. , , and .
- 1998. Factors affecting gene flow between the host races of Eurosta solidaginis. Pp. 375–404 in S.Mopper, and S. Y.Strauss, eds. Genetic structure and local adaptation in natural insect populations: effects of ecology, life history, and behavior. Chapman and Hall, New York . , , and .
- 2004. Genetic theories of sympatric speciation. Pp 36–52 in U.Dieckmann, M.Doebeli, J. A. J.Metz, and D.Tautz, eds. Adaptive speciation. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K .
- 1992. Plant variation: its effects on populations of herbivorous insects. Pp. 195–215 in R. S.Fritz, and E. L.Simms, eds. Plant resistance to herbivores and pathogens: ecology, evolution, and genetics. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago .
- 1993. Laboratory experiments on speciation: what have we learned in 40 years. Evolution 47:1637–1653. , and .
- 2001. A genetic interpretation of ecologically dependent isolation. Evolution 55:198–201. , and .
- 2000. The ecology of adaptive radiation. Oxford Univ. Press, New York .
- 1986. The definition and measurement of oviposition preference in plant feeding insects. Pp. 66–94 in J.Miller, and T. A.Miller, eds. Insect–plant relations. Springer, New York .
- 2005. Host-associated genetic differentiation in phytophagous insects: general phenomenon or isolated exceptions? Evidence from a goldenrod-insect community. Evolution 59:2573–2587. , , and .
- 1988. Evolutionary ecology of the relationship between oviposition preference and performance of offspring in phytophagous insects. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 47:3–14
- 1951. Biology and ecology of the goldenrod gall fly, Eurosta solidaginis (Fitch). Mem. Cornell Univ. Agric. Exp. Stn., 0300.
- 1990. Genetic differentiation among host-associated populations of the gallmaker Eurosta solidaginis (Diptera: Tephritidae). Evolution 44:1648–1655. , , and .