NO CORRELATION BETWEEN INBREEDING DEPRESSION AND DELAYED SELFING IN THE FRESHWATER SNAIL PHYSA ACUTA
Version of Record online: 25 SEP 2007
Volume 61, Issue 11, pages 2655–2670, November 2007
How to Cite
Sebastián Escobar, J., Epinat, G., Sarda, V. and David, P. (2007), NO CORRELATION BETWEEN INBREEDING DEPRESSION AND DELAYED SELFING IN THE FRESHWATER SNAIL PHYSA ACUTA. Evolution, 61: 2655–2670. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2007.00223.x
- Issue online: 25 SEP 2007
- Version of Record online: 25 SEP 2007
- Received April 4, 2007Accepted July 10, 2007
- 1993. Outcrossing rate and inbreeding depression in two annual monoecious herbs, Begonia hirsuta and B. semiovata. Evolution 47:125–135. , and .
- 2006. Sexual selection and mate choice. Trends Ecol. Evol. 21:297–302. , and .
- 1955. Self-incompatibility and establishment after long-distance dispersal. Evolution 9:347–348.
- 1992. Environmental variation for outcrossing rate in rapeseed (Brassica napus). Theor. Appl. Genet. 34:303–306. , , and .
- 2004. Population biology of the invasive freshwater snail Physa acuta approached through genetic markers, ecological characterization and demography. Mol. Ecol. 13:2023–2036. , , , and .
- 1999. Do plant populations purge their genetic load? Effects of population size and mating history on inbreeding depression. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. S. 30:479–513. , and .
- 2004. Maternal effects on the genetic evaluation of Tabapuã beef cattle. Genet. Mol. Biol. 27:517–521. , , , , , , and .
- 1997. The relationship between mating-system characters and inbreeding depression in Mimulus guttatus. Evolution 51:363–372. , , and .
- 1999. The role of inbreeding depression in maintaining the mixed mating system of the common morning glory, Ipomoea purpurea. Evolution 53:1366–1376. , and .
- 2005. The influence of genetic factors and population dynamics on the mating system of the hermaphroditic freshwater snail Biomphalaria pfeifferi. Oikos 108:283–296. , , , , and .
- 1987. Inbreeding depression and its evolutionary consequences. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. S. 18:237–268. , and .
- 1999. The genetic basis of inbreeding depression. Genet. Res. 74:329–340. , and .
- 1990. Inbreeding depression, genetic load and the evolution of outcrossing rates in a multilocus system with no linkage. Evolution 44:1469–1489. , , and .
- 2001. Can varying inbreeding depression select for intermediary selfing rates? Am. Nat. 157:361–373. , and .
- 2002. The evolution of self-fertilization in density-regulated populations. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B 269:1177–1186. , and .
- 2006. Effects of self-fertilization, environmental stress and exposure to xenobiotics on fitness-related traits of the freshwater snail Lymnaea stagnalis. Ecotoxicology 15:199–213. , and .
- 2005. Statistics: an introduction using R. Wiley, England .
- 2005. Estimates of natural allosperm storage capacity and self fertilization rate in the hermaphroditic freshwater pulmonate snail, Physa acuta. Invertebr. Reprod. Dev. 47:111–115. , , and .
- 1994. A problem with the estimate of self-fertilization depression in the hermaphrodite freshwater snail Bulinus truncates—the effect of grouping. Evolution 48:498–504. , , and .
- 2006. Experimental evidence of inbreeding avoidance in the hermaphroditic snail Physa acuta. Evol. Ecol. 20:395–406. , , and .
- 1996. Introduction to quantitative genetics. Longman , England . , and .
- 1991. Effect of male pollen donor and female seed parent on allocation resources to developing seeds and fruit in Chamaecrista fasciculata (Leguminosae). Am. J. Bot. 78:12–23.
- 2002. Geitonogamy in rewarding and unrewarding inflorescences: modelling pollen transfer on actual foraging sequences. Evol. Ecol. 16:155–175. , and .
- 1941. Average excess and average effect of a gene substitution. Ann. Eugen. 11:53–63.
- 2001. Inbreeding depression in two populations of Arenaria uniflora (Caryophyllaceae) with contrasting mating systems. Heredity 86:184–194.
- 2005. Problems in measuring among-family variation in inbreeding depression. Am. J. Bot. 92:1929–1932.
- 2005. Inbreeding depression and family variation in a social insect, Bombus terrestris (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Oikos 111:67–80. , and .
- 2003. How are deleterious mutations purged? Drift versus nonrandom mating. Evolution 57:2678–2687.
- 2000. Inbreeding depression and mating systems in two species of Linanthus (Polemoniaceae). Heredity 84:283–293.
- 2005. The evolutionary enigma of mixed mating in plants: occurrence, theoretical explanations, and empirical evidence. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. S. 36:47–79. , , and .
- 2004. Transient self-incompatibility confers delayed selfing in Leptosiphon jepsonii (Polemoniaceae). Int. J. Plant Sci. 165:387–394. , , and .
- 2002. Dynamique des populations et évolution du système de reproduction: étude chez le gastéropode hermaphrodite Physa acuta (Pulmoné). Ph.D. Thesis. Université Montpellier II, France .
- 2007. Marking hard-shelled gastropods: tag loss, impact on life-history traits, and perspectives in biology. Invertebr. Biol. 126:138–153. , and .
- 2005. Partial selfing, ecological disturbance and reproductive assurance in an invasive freshwater snail. Heredity 95:428–436. , , , and .
- 2003. Environment-dependent inbreeding depression in a hermaphroditic freshwater snail. J. Evolution. Biol. 16:1211–1222. , , and .
- 2006. Is delayed selfing adjusted to chemical cues of density in the freshwater snail Physa acuta Oikos 112:448–455. , , , and .
- 1988. Inbreeding depression doesn't matter: the genetic basis of mating system evolution. Evolution 42:1235–1244.
- 1984. The evolution of self-fertilization in plants—a population genetic model. Am. Nat. 124:446–453. , , and .
- 1996. Evolution of the magnitude and timing of inbreeding depression in plants. Evolution 50:54–70. , and .
- 2006. Animals mix it up too: the distribution of self-fertilization among hermaphroditic animals. Evolution 60:1816–1824. , and .
- 1993. The evolution of the selfing rate in functionally hermaphrodite plants and animals. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. S. 24:441–466. , and .
- 2000. The influence of self-fertilization and grouping on fitness attributes in the freshwater snail Physa acuta: population and individual inbreeding depression. J. Evolution. Biol. 13:645–655. , , , and .
- 1993. Selfing and outcrossing in hermaphrodite freshwater gastropods (Basommatophora): where, when and why. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 49:99–125. , , and .
- 1998. Evolution of intermediate selfing rates in plants: pollination ecology versus deleterious mutations. Genetica 102/103:267–278.
- 1994. On the measurement of inbreeding depression. Evolution 48:1735–1741. , and .
- 1996. Correlated evolution of self-fertilization and inbreeding depression: an experimental study of nine populations of Amsinckia (Boraginaceae). Evolution 50:1478–1491. , and .
- 1999. The mechanism of delayed selfing in Collinsia verna (Scrophulariaceae). Am. J. Bot. 86:1239–1247. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Context-dependent autonomous self-fertilization yields reproductive assurance and mixed mating. Nature 430:884–886. , , and .
- 2005. Family level inbreeding depression and the evolution of plant mating systems. New Phytol. 165:55–62.
- 1998. Effects of different levels of inbreeding on progeny fitness in Plantago coronopus. Evolution 52:692–702.
- 2003. When environmental variation short-circuits natural selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18:207–209. , , and .
- 1985. The evolution of self-fertilization and inbreeding depression in plants. I. Genetics models. Evolution 39:24–40. , and .
- 1992. Self- and cross-fertilization in plants. II. The selection of self-fertilization. Int. J. Plant Sci. 153:370–380.
- 2004. Choosing mates: good genes versus genes that are a good fit. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19:554–559. , and .
- 1989. Generalized linear models. Univ. Press, Cambridge . , and .
- 1998. Inbreeding depression in gynodioecious Lobelia siphilitica: Among-family differences override between-morph differences. Evolution 52:1572–1582. , and .
- 1992. Comparative fitness and reproductive isolation between 2 Bulinus globosus (Gastropoda, Planorbidae) populations. J. Molluscan Stud. 58:367–376. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Evaluation of the extent of among-family variation in inbreeding depression in the perennial herb Scabiosa columbaria (Dipsacaceae). Am. J. Bot. 91:1183–1189. , , and .
- 2005. The evolution of self-fertilization and inbreeding depression under pollen discounting and pollen limitation. J. Evolution. Biol. 18:497–508. , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2006. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna , Austria . ISBN 3–900051-07–0, http://www.R-project.org.
- 2002. Patterns of inbreeding depression in a population of Brassica cretica (Brassicaceae): evidence from family level analyses. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 76:317–325. , , and .
- 1987. Maternal effects in plants. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. S. 18:209–235. , and .
- 1985. The evolution of self-fertilization and inbreeding depression in plants. II. Empirical observations. Evolution 39:41–52. , and .
- 2004. Darwinian selection on a selfing locus. Science 306:2081–2084. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Delayed selfing in relation to the availability of a mating partner in the cestode Schistocephalus solidus. Evolution 58:2591–2596.
- 1995. Individual variation in inbreeding depression: the roles of the inbreeding history and mutation. Genetics 141:1209–1223. , and .
- 2002. Anther-stigma separation is associated with inbreeding depression in Datura stramonium, a predominantly self-fertilizing annual. Evolution 56:2187–2195. , and .
- 2000. An association between a floral trait and inbreeding depression. Evolution 54:840–846. , and .
- 2003a. Delayed selfing as an optimal mating strategy in preferentially outcrossing species: theoretical analysis of the optimal age at first reproduction in relation to mate availability. Am. Nat. 162:318–331. , , and .
- 2003b. Delayed selfing and resource reallocations in relation to mate availability in the freshwater snail Physa acuta. Am. Nat. 162:474–488. , , and .
- 1991a. Coevolution of self-fertilization and inbreeding depression. I. Mutation selection balance at one and two loci. Theor. Popul. Biol. 40:14–46. , and .
- 1991b. Coevolution of self-fertilization and inbreeding depression. II. Symmetric overdominance in viability. Theor. Popul. Biol. 40:47–77. , and .
- 1991c. Coevolution of self-fertilization and inbreeding depression. III. Homozygous lethal mutations at multiple loci. Theor. Popul. Biol. 40:173–210. , and .
- 1997. Selfing, sexual polymorphism and microsatellites in the hermaphroditic freshwater snail Bulinus truncatus. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B 264:39–44. , , and .
- 1999. Inbreeding depression in Campanula rapunculoides L. I. A comparison of inbreeding depression in plants derived from strong and weak self-incompatibility phenotypes. J. Evol. Biol. 12:483–494. , , and .
- 1997. Selfing, outcrossing and mixed mating in the freshwater snail Physa heterostropha: lifetime fitness and inbreeding depression. Invertebr. Biol. 116:192–199. , and .
- 1999. Inbreeding load, average dominance and the mutation rate for mildly deleterious alleles in Mimulus guttatus. Genetics 153:1885–1898.