CONTRASTING PATTERNS OF SYNONYMOUS AND NONSYNONYMOUS SEQUENCE EVOLUTION IN ASEXUAL AND SEXUAL FRESHWATER SNAIL LINEAGES
Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2007
Volume 61, Issue 11, pages 2728–2735, November 2007
How to Cite
Johnson, S. G. and Howard, R. S. (2007), CONTRASTING PATTERNS OF SYNONYMOUS AND NONSYNONYMOUS SEQUENCE EVOLUTION IN ASEXUAL AND SEXUAL FRESHWATER SNAIL LINEAGES. Evolution, 61: 2728–2735. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2007.00233.x
- Issue online: 23 AUG 2007
- Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2007
- Received June 1, 2007Accepted July 17, 2007
- 2001. Regions of lower crossing over harbor more rare variants in African populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 158:657–665. , and .
- 2001. Species and recombination effects on DNA variability in the tomato genus. Genetics 158:1725–1735. , , , and .
- 1992. Levels of naturally occurring DNA polymorphism correlate with recombination rates in D. melanogaster. Nature 356:519–520. , and .
- 1992. Phenotypic plasticity in the life histories and production of 2 warm-temperate viviparid prosobranchs. Veliger 35:1–11. , and .
- 1994. The effect of background selection against deleterious mutations on weakly selected, linked variants. Genet. Res. 63:213–227.
- 2003. Effects of inbreeding on the genetic diversity of populations. Philos. Trans. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 358:1051–1070.
- 2001. Breeding systems and genome evolution. Curr. Opin. Genet. Develop. 11:685–690. , and .
- 1993. The effect of deleterious mutations on neutral molecular variation. Genetics 134:1289–1303. , , and .
- 2000. TCS: a computer program to estimate gene genealogies. Mol. Ecol. 9:1657–1660. , , and .
- 1994. Intraspecific phylogenetics: problems and solutions. Pp. 273–297 in R. W.Scotland, D. J.Siebert, and D. M.Williams, eds. Models in phylogeny reconstruction. Clarendon Press, Oxford . , , and .
- 1998. Investigation of the bottleneck leading to the domestication of maize. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 95:4441–4446. , , , , and .
- 1983. The analysis of cross-classified categorical data. The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA .
- 2002. Levels of DNA polymorphism vary with mating system in the nematode genus Caenorhabditis. Genetics 161:99–107. , , , and .
- 2007. Direct estimation of per nucleotide and genomic deleterious mutation rates in Drosophila. Nature 445:82–85. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Comparative population genetics of the panicoid grasses: sequence polymorphism, linkage disequilibrium and selection in a diverse sample of Sorghum bicolor. Genetics 167:471–483. , , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Generating samples under a Wright-Fisher neutral model of genetic variation. Bioinformatics 18:337–338.
- 2000. Population structure, parasitism and survivorship of sexual and parthenogenetic Campeloma limum (Gastropoda: Viviparidae). Evolution 54:167–175.
- 2005. Mode of origin differentially influences the fitness of parthenogenetic freshwater snails. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 272:2149–2153.
- 2006. Geographic ranges, population structure and ages of sexual and parthenogenetic snail lineages. Evolution 60:1417–1426.
- 1999. Age and polyphyletic origins of hybrid and spontaneous parthenogenetic Campeloma (Gastropoda: Viviparidae) from the southeastern United States. Evolution 53:1769–1781. , and .
- 1988. Deleterious mutations and the evolution of sexual reproduction. Nature 336:435–440.
- 1999. The effect of mating system differences on nucleotide diversity at the phosphoglucose isomerase locus in the plant genus Leavenworthia. Genetics 151:343–357. , , and .
- 2006. Mesquite: a modular system for evolutionary analysis. Version 1.11 http://mesquiteproject.org. , and .
- 1974. The hitch-hiking effect of a favourable gene. Genet. Res. 23:23–35. , and .
- 1964. The relation of recombination to mutational advance. Mutat. Res. 1:2–9.
- 1986. Simple methods for estimating the numbers of synonymous and nonsynonymous nucleotide substitutions. Mol. Biol. Evol. 3:418–426. , and .
- 2006. Transitions to asexuality result in excess amino acid substitutions. Science 311:990–992. , and .
- 2003. DnaSP, DNA polymorphism analyses by the coalescent and other methods. Bioinformatics 19:2496–2497. , , , and .
- 1995. Properties of statistical test of neutrality for DNA polymorphism data. Genetics 141:413–429. , , and .
- SPSS Inc., 2003. SPSS for Windows. Rel. 188.8.131.52. SPSS Inc., Chicago .
- 2003. Patterns of nucleotide diversity in two species of Mimulus are affected by mating system and asymmetric introgression. Evolution 57:2490–2506. , and .
- 1989. Statistical method for testing the neutral mutation hypothesis by DNA polymorphism. Genetics 123:585–595.
- 1999. The molecular evolution of terminal ear1, a regulatory gene in the genus Zea. Genetics 153:1455–1462. , and .
- 2005. The effects of artificial selection on the maize genome. Science 308:1310–1314. , , , , , , and .
- 1997. PAML: a program package for phylogenetic analysis by maximum likelihood. Comp. Appl. Biosci. 13:555–556.
- 1998. Likelihood ratio tests for detecting positive selection and application to primate lysozyme evolution. Mol. Biol. Evol. 15:568–573.