THE GENETIC BASIS OF SEXUAL DIMORPHISM IN BIRDS
Article first published online: 26 SEP 2007
Volume 62, Issue 1, pages 214–219, January 2008
How to Cite
Coyne, J. A., Kay, E. H. and Pruett-Jones, S. (2008), THE GENETIC BASIS OF SEXUAL DIMORPHISM IN BIRDS. Evolution, 62: 214–219. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2007.00254.x
- Issue published online: 26 SEP 2007
- Article first published online: 26 SEP 2007
- Received July 17, 2007Accepted August 31, 2007
- 2000. Why are female birds ornamented? Trends Ecol. Evol. 15:149–155.
- 2001. Selective DNA binding by the androgen receptor as a mechanism for hormone-specific gene regulation. J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol. 76:23–30. . , , , , , , and .
- 1989. A test of the role of meiotic drive in chromosome evolution. Genetics 123:241–243.
- 1993. Further evidence against meiotic-drive models of hybrid sterility. Evolution 47:685–687. , and .
- 1939. Behavior of genes in inter-generic crosses. Effects of two dominant genes on color in pheasant hybrids. J. Hered. 30: 537–542. , and .
- 1871. The descent of man and selection in relation to sex. John Murray, London .
- 1953. Hybridization in the jungle fowl of Ceylon. Spolia Zelanica 27: 59–61.
- 2002. Transvection effects in Drosophila. Ann. Rev. Genetics 36:521–556.
- 1930. The genetical theory of natural selection. Clarendon Press, Oxford , U.K .
- 1998. The birds of paradise. Oxford Univ. Press, New York . , and .
- 2005. Chance caught on the wing: cis-regulatory evolution and the origin of pigment patterns in Drosophila. Nature 433:481–487. , , , , and .
- 1958. Bird hybrids. Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, Farnham Royal , England .
- 1928. Variations among birds, chiefly game birds: Heterochrosis, gyandromorphs, aberration, mutation, atavism and hybrids. Ornithology Society of Japan: Tokyo ..
- 2007. The locus of evolution: evo devo and the genetics of adaptation. Evolution 61:995–1016. , and .
- 1926. Records of birds bred in captivity. H.F. & G. Witherby, London , U.K .
- 2006. Hormonal control of coloration. Pp 431–468 in G. E.Hill and K. J.McGraw, eds. Bird coloration. I. Mechanisms and measurements. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge , MA .
- 2006. Handbook of avian hybrids of the world. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , U.K .
- 2006. The genetic basis of color variation. Pp 469–506 in G. E.Hill and K. J.McGraw, eds. Bird coloration. I. Mechanisms and measurements. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge , MA .
- 1999. AML37/CBF alpha 1 is required for androgen-specific activation of the enhancer of the mouse sex-limited protein (Slp) gene. J. Biol. Chem. 274:30624–30630. , and .
- 1995. Hormonal basis of sexual dimorphism in birds: implications for new theories of sexual selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10:44–47. , and .
- 1966. More hybrid hummingbirds from the United States. Auk 83: 253–265. , and .
- 1914. The transmission of secondary sexual characters in pheasants. J. Genet. 3:275–298.
- 1957. Growth, weights and plumages of the Redhead Aythya americana. Wilson Bull. 69: 5–38.
- 1900. On hybridism. Trans. Proc. R. Soc. NZ 33:199–20.