THE GEOGRAPHICAL MOSAIC OF COEVOLUTION IN A PLANT–POLLINATOR MUTUALISM
Article first published online: 17 OCT 2007
Volume 62, Issue 1, pages 220–225, January 2008
How to Cite
Anderson, B. and Johnson, S. D. (2008), THE GEOGRAPHICAL MOSAIC OF COEVOLUTION IN A PLANT–POLLINATOR MUTUALISM. Evolution, 62: 220–225. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2007.00275.x
- Issue published online: 17 OCT 2007
- Article first published online: 17 OCT 2007
- Received July 11, 2007Accepted September 29, 2007
- 2002. Pollinator-mediated selection on flower-tube length in a hawkmoth-pollinated Gladiolus (Iridaceae). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 269:631–636. and .
- 2005. Exploitation of a specialized mutualism by a deceptive orchid. Am. J. Bot. 92:1342–1349. , , and .
- 1997. Figs and fig pollinators: evolutionary conflicts in a coevolved mutualism. Trends Ecol. Evol. 12:94–99. , , and .
- 2004. Hybridization and gene flow between a day and night flowering species of Zaluzianskya (Scrophulariaceae S.S., tribe Manuleeae). Am. J. Bot. 91:1333–1344. , , and .
- 2005. Phylogenetic relationships within Zaluzianskya (Scrophulariaceae s.s., tribe Manuleeae): classification based on DNA sequences from multiple genomes and implications for character evolution and biogeography. Syst. Bot. 30:196–215. , , and .
- 2003. Reciprocal selection causes a coevolutionary arms race between crossbills and lodgepole pine. Am. Nat. 162:182–194. , , , and .
- 1982. The ecology of mutualism. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 13:315–347. , , and .
- 1859. On the origin of species by means of natural selection or the preservation of favoured races in the struggle for life. John Murray, London .
- 1862. On the various contrivances by which British and foreign orchids are fertilized by insects. John Murray, London .
- 1964. Butterflies and plants: a study in coevolution. Evolution 18:586–608. , and .
- 2000. The long-proboscid fly pollination system in southern Africa. Ann. Mo. Bot. Gard. 87:146–170. , and .
- 2000. Hot spots, cold spots, and the geographic mosaic theory of coevolution. Am. Nat. 156:156–174. , , , , and .
- 1999. The co-radiations of pollinating insects and angiosperms in the Cretaceous. Ann. Mo. Bot. Gard. 86:373–406.
- 1983. Flower handling efficiency of bumble bees: morphological aspects of probing time. Oecologia 57:274–280.
- 1980. When is it coevolution? Evolution 34:611–612.
- 1983. The natural history of mutualisms. Pp. 40–99 in D. H.Boucher, ed.The biology of mutualism: ecology and evolution, Croom Helm, London . .
- 1973. Evolution of the brain and intelligence. Academic Press, New York .
- 1976. Insect-host-plant relationship—coevolution or sequential evolution. Symp. Biol. Hung. 16:109–113.
- 1997. Long-tongued fly pollination and evolution of floral spur length in the Disa draconis complex (Orchidaceae). Evolution 51:45–53. , and .
- 2002. Specialization for hawkmoth and long-proboscid fly pollination in Zaluzianskya section Nycterinia (Scrophulariaceae). Bot. J. Linn. Soc. 138:17–27. , , , and .
- 1964. The stepping stone model of population structure and the decrease of genetic correlation with distance. Genetics 49:561–576. , and .
- 2003. Escalation of a coevolutionary arms race through host rejection of brood parasitic young. Nature 422:157–160. , , and .
- 1955. The decrease of relationship with distance. Cold Springs Harbour Symp. Quant Biol. 20:52–53.
- 1988. The evolution of flowers with deep corolla tubes. Nature 334:147–149.
- 2007. Polygenic traits and parasite local adaptation. Evolution 61:368–376. , and .
- 2000. NTSYS-pc: numerical taxonomy and multivariate analysis system, version 2.1. Exeter Software, Setauket , New York.
- 1983. Limits to specialization and coevolution in plant-animal mutualisms. Pp. 67–109 in M. H.Nitecki, ed. Coevolution. University of Chicago Press, Chicago , IL .
- 1990. Pollinator adaptation to oil-secreting flowers—Redivivia and Diascia. Evolution 44:1701–1707. , and .
- 1991. Oil flowers and oil bees: further evidence for pollinator adaptation. Evolution 45:1493–1501. , and .
- 1989. Concepts of coevolution. Trends Ecol. Evol. 4:179–183.
- 1994. The coevolutionary process. Chicago University Press, Chicago , IL .
- 1999a. The evolution of species interactions. Science 284:2116–2118.
- 1999b. Specific hypotheses on the geographic mosaic of coevolution. Am. Nat. 153:S1–S14.
- 2005. The Geographic mosaic of coevolution. University of Chicago Press, Chicago , IL .
- 2002. Geographic structure and dynamics of coevolutionary selection. Nature 417:735–738. , and .
- 2006a. Imbalance of predator and prey armament: geographic clines in phenotypic interface and natural selection. Am. Nat. 167:105–117. and .
- 2006b. Adaptive divergence of scaling relationships mediates the arms race between a weevil and its host plant. Biol. Lett. 2:539–542. and .
- 1997. The pollinators of the Malagasy star orchids Angraecum sesquipedale, A. sororium and A. compactum and the evolution of extremely long spurs by pollinator shift. Bot. Act. 110:343–359.
- 1943. Isolation by distance. Genetics 28:114–138.