GENOTYPE BY ENVIRONMENT INTERACTIONS FOR FITNESS IN HYBRID GENOTYPES OF AVENA BARBATA
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2007
©2008 The Author(s). Journal compilation © 2008 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 62, Issue 3, pages 573–585, March 2008
How to Cite
Johansen-Morris, A. D. and Latta, R. G. (2008), GENOTYPE BY ENVIRONMENT INTERACTIONS FOR FITNESS IN HYBRID GENOTYPES OF AVENA BARBATA. Evolution, 62: 573–585. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2007.00311.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2007
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2007
- Received October 16, 2007Accepted November 26, 2007
- 1965. Genetic systems associated with colonizing ability in predominantly self-pollinated species. Pp. 50–78 in H.G.Baker and G.L.Stebbins eds. The genetics of colonizing species. Academic Press, New York .
- 1996. Genetic basis of the evolution of adaptedness in plants. Euphytica 92:???–11.
- 1972. Evidence for coadaptation in Avena barbata. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 69:3043–3048. , , , and .
- 1954. Hybridization as an evolutionary stimulus. Evolution 8:378–388. , and .
- 1997. Natural hybridization and evolution. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford .
- 1994. Molecular markers, natural history and evolution. Chapman and Hall, New York .
- 2001. The role of hybridization in evolution. Mol. Ecol. 10:551–568.
- 1982. The masterpiece of nature. Croom Helm, London .
- 1990. The ecology and genetics of fitness in Chlamydomonas. 1. Genotype-by-environment interaction among pure strains. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 240:295–321. .
- 1995. Natural-selection and ecotypic differentiation in Impatiens pallida. Ecological Monographs 65:303–323. , and .
- 2001. Genotype-by-environment interaction and the fitness of plant hybrids in the wild. Evolution 55:669–676. , and .
- 1949. Genetics of climatic races of Potentilla glandulosa. Proc. 8th Internat. Congr. Genetics. Hereditas (Suppl.) 162–172.
- 1941. Regional differentiation in plant species. Am. Nat. 75:231–250. , , and .
- 1972. Patterns of genetic differentiation in slender wild oat species Avena barbata. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 69:1820–1824. , and .
- 2004. Alien species and evolution: the evolutionary ecology of exotic plants, animals, microbes, and interacting native species. Island Press, Washington DC .
- 2006. Experimental methods for measuring gene interactions. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 37: 289–316. , and .
- 1996. The response to differing selection on plant physiological traits: evidence for local adaptation. Evolution 50:103–110.
- 2000. Hybridization as a stimulus for the evolution of invasiveness in plants? Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 97:7043–7050. , and .
- 1997. The effect of habitat on parental and hybrid fitness: transplant experiments with Louisiana irises. Evolution 51:1112–1119. , and .
- 1986. Natural selection in the wild. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ .
- 2000. Is the Prunella (Lamiaceae) hybrid zone structured by an environmental gradient? Evidence from a reciprocal transplant experiment. Am. J. Bot. 87:995–1003. , and .
- 1996. The evolution of host specialization: are trade-offs overrated? Am. Nat. 148:S84–S107.
- 1988. The evolution of ecological specialization. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 19:207–233. , and .
- 2004. The genetic architecture of fitness related traits in Avena barbata. PhD Thesis. Dalhousie Univ, Halifax , NS , Canada .
- 2006. Identifying loci under selection across contrasting environments in Avena barbata using quantitative trait locus mapping. Mol. Ecol. 15:1321–1333. , and .
- 1981. Plant speciation, 2nd ed. Columbia Univ. Press, New York .
- 1972. Microgeographical variation in allozyme frequencies in Avena barbata. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 69:2100–2104. , and .
- 1975. Correlations between quantitative characters and enzyme genotypes in Avena barbata. Evolution 29:438–442. , and .
- 1979. Influence of microhabitat heterogeneity on gene frequency distribution and gametic phase disequilibrium in Avena barbata. Evolution 33:521–533. , and .
- 1982. Genetic markers and ecotypic differentiation of Avena barbata Pott. ex Link. PhD Thesis, Univ. California Davis.
- 1980. Population biology of Avena .8. Colonization experiment as a test of the role of natural-selection in population divergence. Am. J. Bot. 67:1342–1346. , and .
- 2006. Fitness consequences of hybridization between ecotypes of Avena barbata: Hybrid breakdown, hybrid vigor, and transgressive segregation. Evolution 60:1585–1595. , and .
- 2001. Environment-dependent performance and fitness of Iris brevicaulis, I-fulva (Iridaceae), and hybrids. Am. J. Bot. 88:933–938. , , , and .
- 1991. Multivariate-analysis of selection in experimental populations derived from hybridization of 2 ecotypes of the annual plant Diodia teres W (Rubiaceae). Evolution 45:1760–1772.
- 2002. The ecology and genetics of fitness in Chlamydomonas. XII. Repeated sexual episodes increase rates of adaptation to novel environments. Evolution 56:1743–1753. , and .
- 2000. The ecology and genetics of fitness in Chlamydomonas. X. The relationship between genetic correlation and genetic distance. Evolution 54:425–432. , and .
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7:1225–1241. , and .
- 1997. Mutational collapse of fitness in marginal habitats and the evolution of ecological specialisation. J. Evol. Biol. 10:407–429. , , and .
- 2004. Divergence and variation of quantitative traits between allozyme genotypes of Avena barbata from contrasting habitats. J. Ecol. 92:57–71. , , , and .
- 2000. The evolution of recombination in a heterogeneous environment. Genetics 156:423–438. and .
- 1974. The genetic basis of evolutionary change. Columbia Univ. Press, New York .
- 2003a. Experimental hybridization as a tool for studying selection in the wild. Ecology 84:1688–1699. , , and .
- 2003b. The origin of ecological divergence in Helianthus paradoxus (Asteraceae): selection on transgressive characters in a novel hybrid habitat. Evolution 57:1989–2000. , , , and .
- 1996. Evolutionary significance of local genetic differentiation in plants. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27:237–277. , and .
- 1983. Phenotypic evolution and parthenogenesis. Am. Nat. 122:745–764. , and .
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland , MA . , and .
- 1977. Evaluation of narrow hybrid zones in vertebrates. Q. Rev. Biol. 52:263–277.
- 1997. Selection for native characters in hybrids between two locally adapted plant subspecies. Evolution 51:1469–1480.
- 2005. Environments and evolution: interactions between stress, resource inadequacy and energetic efficiency. Biol. Rev. 80:589–610.
- 1999. Transgressive segregation, adaptation and speciation. Heredity 83:363–372. , , and .
- 2004. Hybridization and adaptive radiation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19:198–207.
- 1991. The genetic-structure of host plant adaptation in a spatial patchwork—demographic variability among reciprocally transplanted pea aphid clones. Evolution 45:827–852.
- 1994. The evolution of phenotypic plasticity: what to we really know? Pp. 35–57 in L. A.Real ed. Ecological genetics, Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ . .
- 1997. Narrow hybrid zone between two subspecies of big sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata: Asteraceae), 4. Reciprocal transplant experiments. Evolution 51:95–102. , , , , and .