INCIPIENT SEXUAL ISOLATION AMONG COSMOPOLITAN DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER POPULATIONS
Version of Record online: 16 MAY 2008
© 2008 The Author(s). Journal compilation © 2008 The Society for the Study of Evolution
Volume 62, Issue 8, pages 2112–2121, August 2008
How to Cite
Yukilevich, R. and True, J. R. (2008), INCIPIENT SEXUAL ISOLATION AMONG COSMOPOLITAN DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER POPULATIONS. Evolution, 62: 2112–2121. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2008.00427.x
- Issue online: 23 JUL 2008
- Version of Record online: 16 MAY 2008
- Received February 29, 2008Accepted April 21, 2008
- 2002. Chromosomal inversion polymorphism in Afrotropical populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Genet. Res. 79:49–63. , , and .
- 2004. Non-African populations of Drosophila melanogaster have a unique origin. Mol. Biol. Evol. 21:1482–1491. , , and .
- 1993. African and North American populations of Drosophila melanogaster are very different at the DNA level. Nature 365:548–550. , and .
- 1995. Comparative population structuring of molecular and allozyme variation of Drosophila melanogaster Adh between Europe, west Africa and east Africa. Genet. Res. 65:95–103. , and .
- 2003. Forty years of solitude: life-history divergence and behavioral isolation between laboratory lines of D. melanogaster. J. Evol. Biol. 16:83–90. , , , and .
- 2005. Parallel evolution of sexual isolation in sticklebacks. Evolution 59:361–373. , , and .
- 1986. Genetic analysis of D. melanogaster in the French West Indies and comparison with populations from other parts of the world. Genetica 69:167–176. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Phenotypic and genetic variability of morphometrical traits in natural populations of D. melanogaster and D. simulans. I. Genet. Sel. Evol. 25:517–536. , , and .
- 1994. Phenotypic and genetic variability of morphometrical traits in natural populations of D. melanogaster and D. simulans. II. Genet. Sel. Evol. 26:15–28. , , and .
- 2000. Sexual isolation of genetically differentiated sympatric populations of Drosophila melanogaster in Brazzaville, Congo: the first step towards speciation? Heredity 84:468–475. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Genetic differentiation between American and European D. melanogaster populations could be attributed to African alleles. Mol. Biol. Evol. 20:792–799. , and .
- 1965. Chromosomal morphism in geographically widespread species of Drosophila. Pp. 533–546 in H. G.Baker and G. L.Stebbins, eds. The genetics of colonizing species. Academic Press, New York .
- 2006. JMATING: a software for the analysis of sexual selection and sexual isolation effects from mating frequency data. BMC Evol. Biol. 6:40. , and .
- 1998. Disentangling the effects of mating propensity and mating choice in Drosophila. Evolution 52:126–133. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Female mate discrimination or male responses to female stimulation? Evolution 50:1719–1720. , and .
- 1980. Geographical divergence and sexual behavior: comparisons of mating systems in French and Afrotropical populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetica 54:161–165. , and .
- 2000. The courtship song of African Drosophila melanogaster. J. Evol. Biol. 13:143–150. , , , and .
- 2006. Desaturase-2, environmental adaptation, and sexual isolation in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 60:626–627. , and .
- 2004. Speciation. Sinauer, Sunderland , MA . , and .
- 1999. Localization of a gene responsible for a pheromonal polymorphism in Drosophila melanogaster. Genet. Res. 73:189–203. , , and .
- 2005. Sexual isolation between Drosophila yakuba and D. santomea: effects of environment and experimental design. Evolution 59:2588–2601. , , and .
- 1988. Genetic variation of Drosophila melanogaster natural populations. Trends Genet. 4:106–111. , and .
- 2003. Speciation along environmental gradients. Nature 421:259–264. , and .
- 1937. Genetics and the origin of species. Columbia Univ. Press, New York .
- 1965. “Wild” and “domestic” species of Drosophila. Pp. 533–546 in H. G.Baker and G. L.Stebbins, eds. The genetics of colonizing species. Academic Press, New York .
- 1973. Active dispersal and passive transport in Drosophila. Evolution. 27:565–575.
- 1977. Geographic variation, speciation, and clines. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ .
- 1995. Geographic variation in female preferences for male traits in Poecilia reticulata. Evolution 49:456–468. , and .
- 2002. A mutation in the promoter of Desaturase-2 is correlated with sexual isolation between Drosophila behavioral races. Genetics 162:781–784. , , and .
- 1998. Isolating a role for natural selection in speciation: host adaptation and sexual isolation in Neochlamisus bebbianae leaf beetles. Evolution 43:432–449.
- 2004. Fitness landscapes and the origin of species. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ .
- 2003. Ecological adaptation during incipient speciation revealed by precise gene replacement. Science 302:1754–1757. , , , and .
- 2006. A Drosophila male pheromone affects female sexual receptivity. Proc. Biol. Sci. 273:315–323. , , and .
- 2002. Reproductive isolation in natural populations of Drosophila melanogaster from Brazzaville (Congo). Genetica 116:215–224. , , , , and .
- 2005. Pre-reproductive isolation as a consequence of allopatric differentiation between populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Mol. Ecol. 14:3801–3807. , , and .
- 1982. No significant deviation from random mating of worldwide populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Nature 300:437–440. , and .
- 1997a. Incipient speciation by sexual isolation in Drosophila melanogaster: variation in mating preference and correlation between sexes. Evolution 51:1175–1181. , , , and .
- 1997b. Incipient speciation by sexual isolation in Drosophila melanogaster: extensive genetic divergence without reinforcement. Genetics 147:1191–1201. , , , and .
- 2001. Reproductive isolation caused by colour pattern mimicry. Nature 411:302–305. , , , and .
- 2004. Mimicry and the evolution of premating isolation in Heliconius melpomene Linn. J. Evol. Biol. 17:680–691. , , and .
- 1995. Incipient reproductive isolation between two sympatric morphs of the intertidal snail Littorina saxatilis. Evolution 49:1180–1190. , , and .
- 2004. An analysis of genetic differentiation among assortatively mating Drosophila melanogaster in Zimbabwe. J. Evol. Biol. 17:493–500. , and .
- 2002. Chromosomal patterns of microsatellite variability contrast sharply in African and non-African populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 160:247–256. , , , and .
- 2007. Drosophila melanogaster's history as a human commensal. Curr. Biol. 17:R77–R81.
- 2004. How two Afrotropical endemics made two cosmopolitan human commensals: the Drosophila melanogaster-D. simulans palaeogeographic riddle. Genetica 120:17–39. , and .
- 1988. Historical biogeography of the Drosophila melanogaster species subgroup. J. Evol. Biol. 22:159–225. , , , , , and .
- 1982. Rapid origin of sexual isolation and character divergence in a cline. Evolution 36:213–223.
- 1965. A study of sexual isolation between certain strains of Drosophila paulistorum. Evolution 19:95–103. , , and .
- 1942. Systematics and the origin of species. Columbia Univ. Press, New York .
- 1963. Animal species and evolution. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge , MA .
- 1965. The nature of colonizations in birds. Pp. 29–47 in H. G.Baker and G. L.Stebbins, eds. The genetics of colonizing species. Academic Press, New York .
- 1950. Measurements of sexual isolation and selective mating. Evolution 4:326–331.
- 1995. Speciation driven by natural selection in Drosophila. Nature 375:674–675
- 2002. Host-plant adaptation drives the parallel evolution of reproductive isolation. Nature 417:441–443. , , and .
- 2005. Evidence for a one-allele assortative mating locus. Science 310:1467. , and .
- 1983. The evolutionary biology of colonizing species. Cambridge Univ. Press, New York , NY .
- 2002. Differential selection to avoid hybridization in two toad species. Evolution 56:1840–1848. , and .
- 2006. History and structure of sub-Saharan populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 174:915–929. , and .
- 2000. Estimating sexual selection and sexual isolation effects from mating frequencies. Evolution 54:30–36. , and .
- 2001. Variations of male cuticular hydrocarbons with geoclimatic variables: an adaptative mechanism in Drosophila melanogaster? Genetica 110:117–130. , , and .
- 1994. Genetic variation for female mate discrimination in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 48:112–121.
- 1995. Biometry. W. H. Freeman and Company. , and .
- 2001. The nucleotide changes governing cuticular hydrocarbon variation and their evolution in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98:3920–3925. , , , and .
- 1990. Correspondence between sexual isolation and allozyme differentiation: a test in the salamander Desmognathus ochrophaeus. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 87:2715–2719. , , and .
- 2002. Divergence and reproductive isolation in the early stages of speciation. Genetica 116:291–300.
- 2000. The origins of premating reproductive isolation: testing hypotheses in the grasshopper Chorthippus parallelus. Evolution 54:1687–1698. , , and .
- 1989. Behavioral observations of sexual isolation among allopatric populations of the mountain dusky salamander Desmognathus ochrophaeus. Evolution 43:745–755. , and .
- 1995. Sexual isolation in D. melanogaster: a possible case of incipient speciation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92:2519–2523. , , , , , and .
- African phenotypes and incipient sexual isolation between US and Caribbean Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution. , and . In press.