CONNECTING QTLS TO THE G-MATRIX OF EVOLUTIONARY QUANTITATIVE GENETICS
Version of Record online: 12 DEC 2008
© 2009 The Author(s). Journal compilation © 2009 The Society for the Study of Evolution
Volume 63, Issue 4, pages 813–825, April 2009
How to Cite
Kelly, J. K. (2009), CONNECTING QTLS TO THE G-MATRIX OF EVOLUTIONARY QUANTITATIVE GENETICS. Evolution, 63: 813–825. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2008.00590.x
- Issue online: 20 MAR 2009
- Version of Record online: 12 DEC 2008
- Received November 1, 2008Accepted November 5, 2008
- 2008. The genetics of adaptive shape shift in stickleback: pleiotropy and effect size. Evolution 62:76–85. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1992. Constraints on phenotypic evolution. Am. Nat. 140:S85–S107.
- 2008. Understanding the evolution and stability of the G-matrix. Evolution 62:2451–2461. , , , , and .
- 1992. On the spread of new gene combinations in the 3rd phase of Wright shifting-balance. Evolution 46:551–557.
- 1987. Adaptive landscapes, genetic distance and the evolution of quantitative characters. Genet. Res. 49:157–174. , and .
- 2003. The constancy of the G matrix through species divergence and the effects of quantitative genetic constraints on phenotypic evolution: a case study in crickets. Evolution 57:1107–1120. , and .
- 2001. Variance component methods for detecting complex trait loci. Adv. Genet. 42:151–181. , , and .
- 1966. Some observations on asymmetrical correlated responses to selection. Genet. Res. 7:44–&. , , and .
- 1994. Mapping and analysis of dairy-cattle quantitative trait loci by maximum-likelihood methodology using milk protein genes as genetic-markers. Genetics 137:267–280. , and .
- 1998. Quantitative trait loci affecting differences in floral morphology between two species of monkeyflower (Mimulus). Genetics 149:367–382. , , , , and .
- 1980. The mathematical theory of quantitative genetics. Clarendon Press, Oxford .
- 2000. The maintenance of genetic variation in life history traits. Pp. 369–392 in R. S.Singh and C. B.Krimbas, eds. Evolutionary genetics from molecules to morphology. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge , U.K. , and .
- 2007. Selection responses of means and inbreeding depression for female fecundity in Drosophila melanogaster suggest contributions from intermediate-frequency alleles to quantitative trait variation. Genet. Res. 89:85–91. , , and .
- 2004. The collaborative cross, a community resource for the genetic analysis of complex traits. 36:1133–1137. , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Pleiotropic effects of an allele producing white flowers in Ipomoea purpurea. Evolution 1076–1085. , and .
- 1984. Covariances of relatives stemming from a population undergoing mixed self and random mating. Biometrics 40:157–164. , and .
- 2005. Widespread parallel evolution in sticklebacks by repeated fixation of ectodysplasin alleles. Science 307:1928–1933. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Non-linear selection response in Drosophila: a stategy for testing the rare-alleles model of quantitative genetic variability. Genetica 99:59–66. , and .
- 1996. Estimation of genomic mutation parameters in natural populations. Genetics 144:349–360. , and .
- 1970. Genetics of the evolutionary process. Columbia Univ. Press, New York .
- 2006. Advances in statistical human genetics over the last 25 years. Statistics in medicine. 25:3049–3080. , and .
- 1996. Introduction to quantitative genetics. Prentice Hall, London . , and .
- 2002. Minor quantitative trait loci underlie floral traits associated with mating system divergence in Mimulus. Evolution 56:2138–2155. , , and .
- 2000. Fw2.2: a quantitative trait locus key to the evolution of tomato fruit size. Science 289:85–88. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1993. The “general vigor” problem: can antagonistic pleiotropy be detected when genetic covariances are positive? Evolution 47:327–333.
- 2005. Quantitative trait loci for cuticular hydrocarbons associated with sexual isolation between Drosophila simulans and D. Sechellia. Genetics 171:1789–1798. , , , and .
- 1990. Multipoint analysis of human quantitative genetic-variation. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 47:957–967.
- 1995. Predicting microevolutionary responses to directional selection on heritable variation. Evolution 49:241–251. , and .
- 1960. Theoretical consequences of truncation selection based on the individual phenotype. Aust. J. Biol. Sci. 13:309–343.
- 2006. Pleiotropic quantitative trait loci contribute to population divergence in traits associated with life-history variation in Mimulus guttatus. Genetics 172:1829–1844. , , and .
- 1943. The genetic basis for constructing selection indexes. Genetics 476–490.
- 2006. A single amino acid mutation contributes to adaptive beach mouse color pattern. Science 313:101–104. , , , , and .
- 1992. Comparing evolvability and variability of quantitative traits. Genetics 130:195–204.
- 1999. Asymptotic modelling of rigid boundaries and connections in the Rayleigh-Ritz method. J. Sound Vibrat. 219:370–378. , and .
- 2003. Stability of the G-matrix in a population experiencing pleiotropic mutation, stabilizing selection, and genetic drift. Evolution 57:1747–1760. , , and .
- 1999. An experimental method for evaluating the contribution of deleterious mutations to quantitative trait variation. Genet. Res. 73:263–273.
- 2003. Deleterious mutations and the genetic variance of male fitness components in mimulus guttatus. Genetics 164:1071–1085.
- 2008. Testing the rare alleles model of quantitative variation by artificial selection. Genetica 132:187–198.
- 2003. Inbreeding and the genetic variance of floral traits in Mimulus guttatus. Heredity 90:77–83. , and .
- 2001. Deleterious mutations and genetic variation for flower size in Mimulus guttatus. Evolution 55:937–942. , and .
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. Am. Nat. 157:245–261. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1989. The evolution of maternal characters. Evolution 43:485–503. , and .
- 1992. Maximum likelihood mapping of quantitative trait loci using full-sib families. Genetics 132:1211–1222. , and .
- 1985. Deleterious mutations as an evolutionary factor.2. Facultative apomixis and selfing. Genetics 111:635–653.
- 2005. Epistasis and balanced polymorphism influencing quantitative trait variation. Nature 435:95–98. , and .
- 1979. Quantitative genetic analysis of multivariate evolution applied to brain:body allometry. Evolution 33:402–416.
- 1980. The genetic covariance between characters maintained by pleiotropic mutations. Genetics 94:203–215.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37:1210–1226. , and .
- 1989. Mapping Mendelian factors underlying quantitative traits using RFLP linkage maps. Genetics 121:185–199. , and .
- 1995. Natural selection against white petals in Phlox. Evolution 49:1017–1022. , and .
- 2003. Genetic structure and diversity among maize inbred lines as inferred from DNA microsatellites. Genetics 165:2117–2128. , , , , , and .
- 1993. The power of two experimental designs for detecting linkage between a marker locus and a locus affecting a quantitative character in a segregating population. Genet. Selection Evol. 25:249–261.
- 1937. Animal breeding plans. Iowa state press, Ames , Iowa .
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative characters. Sinauer associates, Sunderland , MA . , and .
- 2007. Joint estimates of quantitative trait locus effect and frequency using synthetic recombinant populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 176:1261–1281. , and .
- 1996. The nature of quantitative genetic variation revisited: lessons from Drosophila bristles. Bioessays 18:113–121.
- 2001. The genetic architecture of quantitative traits. Annu. Rev. Genet. 35:303–339.
- 2004. Genetic dissection of quantitative traits. Pp. 51–73 in R. S.Singh and M. K.Uyenoyama, eds. The evolution of population biology. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge .
- 1995. Methodology and accuracy of estimation of quantitative trait loci parameters in a half-sib design using maximum-likelihood. Genetics 141:755–770. , and .
- 2005. The dimensionality of genetic variation for wing shape in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 59:1027–1038. , and .
- 2007. Which evolutionary processes influence natural genetic variation for phenotypic traits? Nat Rev Genet 8:845–856. , , and .
- 1956. An estimate of the mutational damage in man from data on consanguineous marriages. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 42:855–863. , , and .
- 2002. Simultaneous detection and fine mapping of quantitative trait loci in mice using heterogeneous stocks. Genetics 160:1609–1618. , and .
- 1996. Power of tests for quantitative trait loci detection using full-sib families in different schemes. Heredity 76:156–165.
- 2004. Association between nucleotide variation in EGFR and wing shape in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 167:1187–1198. , and .
- 1988. Resolution of quantitative traits into Mendelian factors by using a complete linkage map of restriction fragment length polymorphisms. 335:721–726. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Numerical recipes in C. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge . , , , and .
- 1984. Tradeoffs in performance on different hosts: evidence from within- and between-site variation in the beetle Deloyala guttata. Evolution 38:582–595.
- 2007. The G matrix under fluctuating correlational mutation and selection. Evolution 61:1857–1872.
- 1981. Genetics of life history in Drosophila melanogaster. I. Sib analysis of adult females. Genetics 91:175–186. , and .
- 2001. Perspective: evolution of flower color in the desert annual Linanthus parryae: Wright revisited. Evolution 55:1269–1282. , and .
- 1992. Variance components. John Wiley and sons Inc., New York . , , and .
- 1999. Applicability of the hypergeometric phenotypic model to haploid and diploid populations. Evolution 53:600–604. , and .
- 1944. Tempo and mode in evolution. Columbia Univ. Press, New York .
- 1997. Phylogenetic analysis of phenotypic covariance structure. II. Reconstructing matrix evolution. Evolution 51:587–594.
- 2002. Comparative quantitative genetics: evolution of the G matrix. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:320–327. , , and .
- 2004. A latitudinal cline in flowering time in Arabidopsis thaliana modulated by the flowering time gene Frigida. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 101:4712–4717. , , , , , , , and .
- 1993. Mapping polygenes. Annu. Rev. Genet. 27:205–233.
- 1988. Population genetic models for polygenic variation and evolution in B. S.Weir, E. J.Eisen, M. M.Goodman and G.Namkoong, eds. Proceedings of the second international conference on quantitative genetics. Sunderland , MA .
- 1994. Genetic and statistical-analyses of strong selection on polygenic traits—what, me normal. Genetics 138:913–941. , and .
- 2004. Polygenic variation maintained by balancing selection: pleiotropy, sex-dependent allelic effects and G x E interactions. Genetics 166:1053–1079. , and .
- 2006. Simulating the collaborative cross: power of quantitative trait loci detection and mapping resolution in large sets of recombinant inbred strains of mice. Genetics 172:1783–1797. , , and .
- 2006. Using mating designs to uncover QTL and the genetic architecture of complex traits Heredity. 96:139–149. , , and .
- 2007. Genome partitioning of genetic variation for height from 11,214 sibling pairs. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 81:1104–1110. , , , , and .
- 2002. Estimation of quantitative trait locus allele frequency via a modified granddaughter design. Genetics 162:841–849. , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic design and statistical power of nested association mapping in maize. Genetics 178:539–551. , , , and .
- 1987. Genotypic distribution at the limits to natural and artificial selection with mutation. Theor. Popul. Biol. 32:90–113.