DYNAMICS AND GENETIC STRUCTURE OF ARGENTINE ANT SUPERCOLONIES IN THEIR NATIVE RANGE
Version of Record online: 14 JAN 2009
© 2009 The Author(s). Journal compilation © 2009 The Society for the Study of Evolution
Volume 63, Issue 6, pages 1627–1639, June 2009
How to Cite
Vogel, V., Pedersen, J. S., D'Ettorre, P., Lehmann, L. and Keller, L. (2009), DYNAMICS AND GENETIC STRUCTURE OF ARGENTINE ANT SUPERCOLONIES IN THEIR NATIVE RANGE. Evolution, 63: 1627–1639. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2009.00628.x
- Issue online: 21 MAY 2009
- Version of Record online: 14 JAN 2009
- Received May 1, 2008Accepted November 26, 2008
- 2007. Behaviourally and genetically distinct populations of an invasive ant provide insight into invasion history and impacts on a tropical ant community. Biol. Invasions 9:453–463. , , , and .
- 1986. The statistical analysis of compositional data. Chapman & Hall, London .
- 2001. Reproductive strategy: an essential component in the success of incipient colonies of the invasive Argentine ant. Insectes Soc. 48:25–27.
- 1995. Social evolution in ants. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ . , and .
- 2005. Diet-related modification of cuticular hydrocarbon profiles of the Argentine ant, Linepithema humile, diminishes intercolony aggression. J. Chem. Ecol. 31:829–843. , , , and .
- 2001. The influence of sociality on the conservation biology of social insects. Ecol. Lett. 4:650–662. , and .
- 1999. Extended family structure in the ant Formica paralugubris: the role of the breeding system. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 46:405–412. , and .
- 1998. Evolution of helping behavior in cooperatively breeding birds. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 29:141–177.
- 2003. Bayesian analysis of genetic differentiation between populations. Genetics 163:367–374. , , and .
- 2004. BAPS 2: enhanced possibilities for the analysis of genetic population structure. Bioinformatics 20:2363–2369. , , , and .
- 2007. Large scale unicoloniality: the population and colony structure of the invasive Argentine ant (Linepithema humile) in New Zealand. Insectes Soc. 54:275–282. , , , and .
- 1996. Description and power analysis of two tests for detecting recent population bottlenecks from allele frequency data. Genetics 144:2001–2014. , and .
- 2007. Life history and the evolution of family living in birds. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 274:1349–1357. , and .
- 2008. The evolution of invasiveness in garden ants. PLoS ONE 3:e3838, doi:DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0003838. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1979. Genetics of sociality. Pp. 223–286 in H. R.Hermann, ed. Social insects. Academic Press, New York .
- 1996. Evolution of social insect colonies: sex allocation and kin selection. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , U.K. , and .
- 1859. On the origin of species. John Murray, London .
- 2004. Ovarian activity correlates with extreme changes in cuticular hydrocarbon profile in the highly polygynous ant, Linepithema humile. J. Insect Physiol. 50:585–593. , , , and .
- 2007. A step-by-step tutorial to use HierFstat to analyse populations hierarchically structured at multiple levels. Infect. Genet. Evol. 7:731–735. , and .
- 2007. Polydomy in ants: what we know, what we think we know, and what remains to be done. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 90:319–348. , , , and .
- 2007. Population structure and intraspecific aggression in the invasive ant species Anoplolepis gracilipes in Malaysian Borneo. Mol. Ecol. 16:1453–1465. , , and .
- 1987. Predicting family dynamics in social vertebrates. Pp. 228–253 in J. R.Krebs, and N. B.Davies, eds. Behavioural ecology: an evolutionary approach. Blackwell Science, Oxford , U.K.
- 1993. Spatial and space-time correlations in systems of subpopulations with genetic drift and migration. Genetics 133:711–727.
- 2002. Evolution of supercolonies: the Argentine ants of southern Europe. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 99:6075–6079. , , and .
- 1995. FSTAT (Version 1.2): a computer program to calculate F-statistics. J. Hered. 86:485–486.
- 2005. HIERFSTAT, a package for R to compute and test hierarchical F-statistics. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5:184–186.
- 2002. Kin selection: fact and fiction. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:15–21. , and .
- 1963. The evolution of altruistic behavior. Am. Nat. 97:354–356.
- 1964. The genetical evolution of social behaviour. J. Theor. Biol. 7:1–52.
- 2009. Unicolonial ants: where do they come from, what are they, and where are they going? Trends Ecol. Evol. in press. , , , and .
- 2004. Colony structure in introduced and native populations of the invasive Argentine ant, Linepithema humile. Insectes Soc. 51:378–386.
- 1980. Territorial strategies in ants. Science 210:732–739. , and .
- 1977. Number of queens: an important trait in ant evolution. Naturwissenschaften 64:8–15. , and .
- 1999. Competitive mechanisms underlying the displacement of native ants by the invasive Argentine ant. Ecology 80:238–251.
- 2001. Effects of colony-level variation on competitive ability in the invasive Argentine ant. Anim. Behav. 61:1181–1192. , and .
- 1998. Loss of intraspecific aggression in the success of a widespread invasive social insect. Science 282:949–952. , , and .
- 2006. Unicoloniality, recognition and genetic differentiation in a native Formica ant. J. Evol. Biol. 19:2031–2039. , , , , and .
- 1996. Exploitation and interference competition between the invasive Argentine ant, Linepithema humile, and native ant species. Oecologia 105:405–412. , and .
- 1995. Social life: the paradox of multiple-queen colonies. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10:355–360.
- 1989. Queen execution in the Argentine ant Iridomyrmex humilis (Mayr). Physiol. Entomol. 14:157–163. , , and .
- 1994. The effect of scale dependent processes on kin selection: mating and density regulation. Theor. Popul. Biol. 46:32–57.
- 1999. Low polymorphism at 19 microsatellite loci in a French population of Argentine ants (Linepithema humile). Mol. Ecol. 8:1078–1080. , and .
- 2000. Mating frequency and genetic structure of the Argentine ant Linepithema humile. Mol. Ecol. 9:119–126. , and .
- 2007. An experimental study of competition between fire ants and Argentine ants in their native range. Ecology 88:63–75. , , , , , and .
- 2007. The evolution of trans-generational altruism: kin selection meets niche construction. J. Evol. Biol. 20:181–189.
- 2008. Population viscosity can promote the evolution of altruistic sterile helpers and eusociality. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 275:1887–1895. , , and .
- 2001. Hydrocarbon-released nestmate aggression in the Argentine ant, Linepithema humile, following encounters with insect prey. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 129:871–882. , , and .
- 1970. The seasonal life cycle of the Argentine ant, Iridomyrmex humilis (Hymenoptera, Formicidae), in southern California. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 63:1238–1242.
- 1999. The worldwide transfer of ants: geographical distribution and ecological invasions. J. Biogeogr. 26:535–548.
- 2007. Genetic relationships between native and introduced populations of the little fire ant Wasmannia auropunctata. Divers. Distrib. 13:573–579. , and .
- 1913. The Argentine ant. US Dep. Agric. Bur. Entomol. Bull. 122:1–98. , and .
- 1988. Queen number in colonies of social Hymenoptera as a kin-selected adaptation. Evolution 42:566–580.
- 1991. Evolution of colony characteristics in social insects. II. Number of reproductive individuals. Am. Nat. 138:412–433.
- 1994. Characteristics of tramp species. Pp. 23–43 in D. F.Williams, ed. Exotic ants: biology, impact, and control of introduced species. Westview Press, Boulder , CO .
- 2006. Native supercolonies of unrelated individuals in the invasive Argentine ant. Evolution 60:782–791. , , , , and .
- 1999. BOTTLENECK: a computer program for detecting recent reductions in the effective population size using allele frequency data. J. Hered. 90:502–503. , , and .
- 1997. Intercontinental differences in the abundance of Solenopsis fire ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae): Escape from natural enemies? Environ. Entomol. 26:373–384. , , , and .
- 1994. Genetic relatedness in viscous populations. Evol. Ecol. 8:70–73.
- 2000. Pax Argentinica. Nature 405:519–520.
- 1989. Estimating relatedness using genetic markers. Evolution 43:258–275. , and .
- 1998. Kin selection and social insects. BioScience 48:165–175. , and .
- 2005. Loss of Wolbachia infection during colonisation in the invasive Argentine ant Linepithema humile. Heredity 94:364–369. , , and .
- 1982. The evolution of alloparental care and adoption in mammals and birds. Q. Rev. Biol. 57:405–435.
- 2004. Genetic structure and selection in subdivided populations. Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ .
- 1938. Essays on evolution. II. On the effects of selection on social insects. Q. Rev. Biol. 13:74–76.
- 2008. The evolutionary consequences of biological invasions. Mol. Ecol. 17:351–360. , and .
- 1999. Behavioral and genetic differentiation between native and introduced populations of the Argentine ant. Biol. Invasions 1:43–53. , , , and .
- 2001. Patterns of spread in biological invasions dominated by long-distance jump dispersal: insights from Argentine ants. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 98:1095–1100. , , and .
- 2002. Spatiotemporal patterns of intraspecific aggression in the invasive Argentine ant. Anim. Behav. 64:697–708. , , , , and .
- 2007. Invasion of four Argentine ant supercolonies into Kobe Port, Japan: Their distributions and effects on indigenous ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Sociobiology 50:659–674. , , , and .
- 1992. Altruism in viscous populations: an inclusive fitness model. Evol. Ecol. 6:352–356.
- 2006. When supercolonies collide: territorial aggression in an invasive and unicolonial social insect. Mol. Ecol. 15:4303–4315. , , , , and .
- 2001. Population genetics and colony structure of the Argentine ant (Linepithema humile) in its native and introduced ranges. Evolution 55:976–985. , and .
- 2003. The colony structure and population biology of invasive ants. Conserv. Biol. 17:48–58. , and .
- 2000. Reduced genetic variation and the success of an invasive species. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 97:5948–5953. , , , and .
- 2003. The distribution and evolutionary history of Wolbachia infection in native and introduced populations of the invasive argentine ant (Linepithema humile). Mol. Ecol. 12:3057–3068. , , , and .
- 2004. Taxonomy and distribution of the Argentine ant, Linepithema humile (Hymenoptera : Formicidae). Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 97:1204–1215.
- 2005. Comparison of methods for detecting bottlenecks from microsatellite loci. Conserv. Genet. 6:551–562.