THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY AND RELIGION
Article first published online: 13 APR 2009
© 2009 The Author(s). Journal compilation © 2009 The Society for the Study of Evolution
Volume 63, Issue 7, pages 1934–1941, July 2009
How to Cite
Reiss, M. J. (2009), THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY AND RELIGION. Evolution, 63: 1934–1941. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2009.00714.x
- Issue published online: 24 JUN 2009
- Article first published online: 13 APR 2009
- Received April 1, 2009Accepted April 1, 2009
- 2005. Islam and science: contradiction or concordance. Zygon 40:565–576.
- 2006. Creation, evolution and meaning. Ashgate, Aldershot , UK .
- 2006. Darwin and intelligent design. Fortress Press, Minneapolis MN .
- 2003. Bone of contention: is evolution true?, 3rd edn. Biblical Creation Society, Rugby , UK .
- 1990. Religion in an age of science: the gifford lectures 1989–1991, volume 1. SCM, London , UK .
- 1996. Darwin's black box: the biochemical challenge to evolution. Free Press, New York , NY .
- 2003. The modern intelligent design hypothesis: breaking rules. Pp. 277–291 in N. A.Manson, ed. God and design: the teleological argument and modern science. Routledge, London , UK .
- 1988. God and evolution. Hodder & Stoughton, London , UK .
- 1991. Science and Religion: some historical perspectives. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge , UK .
- 1999. What is this thing called science? 3rd edn. Open Univ. Press, Buckingham , UK .
- 2007. Accepting evolution. Evolution 62:248–254. , and .
- 2006. Clergy views on evolution, creationism, science, and religion. J. Res. Sci. Teaching 43:419–442. , and .
- 2006. The God delusion. Bantam Press, London , UK .
- DCSF. 2007. Guidance on creationism and intelligent design. Available at http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=11890 (last accessed 3 August 2008).
- 1999. Intelligent design: the bridge between science & theology. IVP Academic, Downers Grove , IL .
- 2003. The chance of the gaps. Pp. 251–274 in N. A.Manson, ed. God and design: the teleological argument and modern science. Routledge, London , UK .
- 2006. Breaking the Spell: religion as a natural phenomenon. Allen Lane, London , UK .
- 2000. Beyond scopes: why creationism is here to stay. Pp. 305–333 in K. S.Rosengren, C. N.Johnson, and P. L.Harris, eds. Imagining the impossible: magical, scientific, and religious thinking in children. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge , UK .
- 2009. Science, worldviews, and education. Science & Education In press .
- 1999. Rocks of ages: science and religion in the fullness of life. Ballantin, New York , NY .
- 2008. Beyond the God delusion: how radical theology harmonizes science and religion. Fortress Press, Minneapolis , MN .
- 1975. The Truth: god or evolution? Baker Book House, Grand Rapids, Michigan , MI . , and .
- 1985. Creation and evolution: the facts and fallacies. Triangle, London , UK .
- 1973. Creation vs. evolution, 2nd revised edn. Pickering & Inglis, London , UK .
- 19761985. Death and eternal life. Macmillan, Basingstoke , UK .
- 1999. Why Gods Persist: a scientific approach to religion. Routledge, London , UK .
- 1991. A Handbook of living religions. Penguin Books, London , UK .
- 1982. The Neck of the giraffe or where Darwin went wrong. Pan, London , UK .
- Interacademy Panel on International Issues. 2006. IAP Statement on the Teaching of Evolution. Available at http://www.interacademies.net/Object.File/Master/6/150/Evolution%20statement.pdf (last accessed 1 March 2008).
- 2007. The personal and the professional in the teaching of evolution. Pp. 159–178 in Jones, L., and Reiss, M. J. eds. Teaching about scientific origins: taking account of creationism. Peter Lang, New York , NY .
- 1995. Hearts and minds in the science classroom: the education of a confirmed evolutionist. J. Res. Sci. Teaching 32:585–611. , , , and .
- 1999. The wedge: breaking the modernist monopoly on science. Touchstone 12:18–24.
- Jones, L., and M. J.Reiss, eds. 2007. Teaching about scientific origins: taking account of creationism. Peter Lang, New York , NY .
- 1983. Abusing science: the case against creationism. Open Univ. Press, Milton Keynes , UK .
- 1970. The structure of scientific revolutions, 2nd edn. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago , IL .
- 1978. The methodology of scientific research programmes. Cambridge Univ. Press Cambridge , UK .
- 1999. Scientists and religion in America, Scientific American, September, 78–83. , and .
- 2005. Religion and health: a review and critical analysis. Zygon 40:443–468. , and
- 1991. Theory of evolution: an assessment from the Islamic point of view. The Islamic Academy, Cambridge , UK .
- 1974. Darwin retried. Garnstone Press, London , UK .
- Manson, N. A. ed. 2003. God and design: the teleological argument and modern science. Routledge, London , UK .
- 2007. Approaching the conflict between religion and evolution. Pp. 145–157 in Jones, L., and Reiss, M. J. eds. Teaching about scientific origins: taking account of creationism. Peter Lang, New York , NY .
- 1973. The Sociology of Science: theoretical and empirical investigations. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago , IL .
- 2006. Public acceptance of evolution. Science 313:765–766. , , and
- 2005. Islam and science. Pp. 231–339 in C.Southgate, ed. God, Humanity and the Cosmos, 2nd edn revised and expanded as a companion to the science-religion debate. T & T Clark, London , UK .
- 2006. The creationists: from scientific creationism to intelligent design. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge , MA .
- 2000. Antievolution in the Antipodes: from protesting evolution to promoting creationism in New Zealand. British J. History Sci. 33:335–350. , and .
- 2001. Paths from science towards god: the end of all our exploring. Oneworld, Oxford , UK .
- 1999. Tower of Babel: the evidence against the new creationism. MIT Press, Cambridge , MA .
- 1994. Telling lies for god: reason vs creationism. Random House, Milsons Point , NSW , Australia .
- 1994. Science and Christian belief: theological reflections of a bottom-up thinker. The Gifford Lectures for 1993–4. SPCK, London , UK .
- 2005. The continuing interaction of science and religion. Zygon 40:43–50. .
- 19341972. The logic of scientific discovery. Hutchinson, London , UK .
- 16912005. The wisdom of god manifested in the works of the creation. Ray Society, London , UK .
- 2005. The nature of science in J.Frost, and T.Turner, eds. Learning to Teach science in the secondary school: a companion to school experience, 2nd edn. Routledge Falmer, London , UK .
- 2008. Should science educators deal with the science/religion issue? Stud. Sci. Education 44:157–186.
- 1983. The biology of religion. Longman, London , UK . , and
- 1994. God and the final frontier. New Scientist 28 March:40–41.
- 2005. The evolution-creation struggle. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge , MA .
- 2008. The groaning of creation: God, evolution and the problem of evil. Westminster John Knox Press, Louisville , KY .
- 2005 Theology and evolutionary biology. Pp. 154–192 in C.Southgate, ed. God, humanity and the cosmos, 2nd edn revised and expanded as a companion to the science-religion debate. T & T Clark, London , UK . , , and
- 1989. The World's religions: old traditions and modern transformations. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge , UK .
- 2005. Rethinking the secular: science, technology, and religion today. Zygon 40:813–822.
- 1975. The great brain robbery. Henry E. Walter, Worthing , UK .
- Watts, F. ed. 1998. Science meets faith. SPCK, London , UK .
- 1978. What about origins? Dunestone, Newton Abbot , UK .
- 2001. Doing without adam and eve: sociobiology and original sin. Fortress Press, Minneapolis , MN .
- 2008. Creationist teaching in School Science: a UK perspective. Evol. Edu. Outreach1:87–95.
- 2005. Making sense of science: understanding the social study of science. SAGE, London , UK .
- 2000. Real science: what it is and what it means. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge , UK .