Article first published online: 23 SEP 2009
© 2009 The Author(s). Journal compilation © 2009 The Society for the Study of Evolution
Volume 64, Issue 1, pages 25–38, January 2010
How to Cite
Gardner, A. and West, S. A. (2010), GREENBEARDS. Evolution, 64: 25–38. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2009.00842.x
- Issue published online: 8 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 23 SEP 2009
- Received July 15, 2009Accepted August 25, 2009
- 1978. Group selection, altruism, and levels of organization of life. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 9:449–474. , and .
- 2002. Solving the freeloaders paradox: genetic associations and frequency-dependent selection in the evolution of cooperation among nonrelatives. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 99:14268–14273.
- 2007. Kin selection versus sexual selection: why the ends do not meet. Curr. Biol. 17:R673–R683.
- 2004. The evolution of strong reciprocity: cooperation in heterogeneous populations. Theor. Popul. Biol. 65:17–28. , and .
- 2006. Genes in conflict: the biology of selfish genetic elements. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge , MA . , and .
- 1986. Genetic clonal recognition abilities in marine invertebrates must be maintained by selection for something else. Evolution 40:1100–1101.
- 1859. On the origin of species by means of natural selection, or, the preservation of favoured races in the struggle for life. John Murray, London , UK .
- 1976. The selfish gene. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford .
- 1982. The extended phenotype. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford .
- 2008. Nice natives and mean migrants: the evolution of dispersal-dependant social behaviour in viscous populations. J. Evol. Biol. 21:1480–1491. , and .
- 1982. Assortment of encounters and evolution of cooperativeness. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 79:1331–1335. , and .
- 1930. The genetical theory of natural selection. Clarendon , Oxford .
- 2007. What can microbial genetics teach sociobiology? Trends. Genet. 23:73–80. , , and .
- 1987. If Homo Economicus could choose his own utility function, would he want one with a conscience? Am. Econ. Rev. 77:593–604.
- 1997. Cytoplasmic incompatability and population structure. J. Theor. Biol. 184:327–330.
- 1998. Foundations of social evolution. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ .
- 2007a. Spiteful soldiers and sex ratio conflict in polyembryonic parasitoid wasps. Am. Nat. 169:519–533. , , , and .
- 2007b. The relation between multilocus population genetics and social evolution theory. Am. Nat. 169:207–226. , , and .
- 2004. Spite and the scale of competition. J. Evol. Biol. 17:1195–1203. , and .
- 2006. Demography, altruism, and the benefits of budding. J. Evol. Biol. 19:1707–1716. , and .
- 2000. Strong reciprocity and human sociality. J. Theor. Biol. 206:169–179.
- 1984. Natural selection, kin selection and group selection. Pp. 62–84 in J. R.Krebs and N. B.Davies, eds. Behavioural ecology: an evolutionary approach. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford , UK .
- 1985. A geometric view of relatedness. Oxford Surv. Evol. Biol. 2:28–89.
- 1990. Do animals really recognise kin? Anim. Behav. 39:42–54.
- 2002. A first formal link between the Price equation and an optimization program. J. Theor. Biol. 217:75–91.
- 2006a. A theory of Fisher's reproductive value. J. Math. Biol. 53:15–60.
- 2006b. Optimisation of inclusive fitness. J. Theor. Biol. 238:541–563.
- 1996. Gestational drive and the green-bearded placenta. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 93:6547–6551.
- 1964. The genetical evolution of social behaviour, I & II. J. Theor. Biol. 7:1–52.
- 1970. Selfish and spiteful behaviour in an evolutionary model. Nature 228:1218–1220.
- 1971. Selection of selfish and altruistic behaviour in some extreme models. Pp. 57–91 in J. F.Eisenberg, and W. S.Dillon, eds. Man and beast: comparative social behavior. Smithsonian Press, Washington , DC .
- 1975. Innate social aptitudes of man: an approach from evolutionary genetics. Pp. 133–155 in R.Fox, ed. Biosocial anthropology. Wiley, New York .
- 1987. Discriminating nepotism: expectable, common, overlooked. Pp. 417–437 in D. J. C.Fletcher and C. D.Michener, eds. Kin recognition in animals. Wiley, New York .
- 1996. Narrow roads of gene land: I evolution of social behaviour. W.H. Freeman, Oxford .
- 2006. The unity that does not exist—a review of A. Burt & R. Trivers 2006: genes in conflict. J. Evol. Biol. 19:2067–2070.
- 2007. Pedigree relatedness, not greenbeard genes, explains eusociality. Oikos 116:217–220. , and .
- 2008. Ancestral monogamy shows kin seelction is the key to the evolution of eusociality. Science 320:1213–1216. , , , and .
- 2003. A bacterial symbiont in the Bacteroides induces cytoplasmic incompatability in the parasitoid wasp Encarsia pergandiella. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270:2185–2190. , , and .
- 2006. Altruism through beard chromodynamics. Nature 440:663–666. , and .
- 1998. Selfish genes: a green beard in the red fire ant. Nature 394:573–575. , and .
- 2002. Local dispersal promotes biodiversity in a real-life game of rock-paper-scissors. Nature 418:171–174. , , , and .
- 2004. Antibiotic-mediated antagonism leads to a bacterial game of rock-paper-scissors in vivo. Nature 428:412–414. , and .
- 2006. The evolution of cooperation and altruism. A general framework and classification of models. J. Evol. Biol. 19:1365–1378. , and .
- 2006. An evolutionary analysis of the relationship between spite and altruism. J. Evol. Biol. 19:1507–1516. , , and .
- 2007. Strong-reciprocity or strong-ferocity? A population genetic view of the evolution of altruistic punishment. Am. Nat. 170:21–36. , , , and .
- 2009. On the evolution of harming and recognition in finite panmictic and infinite structured populations. Evolution. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2009.00778.x In press . , , and .
- 2000. Kin recognition and the ‘armpit effect’: evidence of self-referent phenotype matching. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267:695–700. , and
- 1964. Group selection and kin selection. Nature 201:1145–1147.
- 1976. Group selection. Q. Rev. Biol. 51:277–283.
- 1982. Evolution and the theory of games. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge .
- 1995. The major transitions in evolution. W.H. Freeman, Oxford . , and .
- 2006. Five rules for the evolution of cooperation. Science 314:1560–1563.
- 2002. Genetic relatedness and the evolution of altruism. Phil. Sci. 69:138–149.
- 2001. The evolution of emotional expression: a “selfish-gene” account of smiling and laughter in early hominids and humans. Pp. 152–191 in T. J.Mayne and G. A.Bonanno, eds. Emotions: current issues and future directions. The Guilford Press, New York . , and .
- 2002. A mechanism for the evolution of altruism among nonkin: positive assortment through environmental feedback. Am. Nat. 160:205–213. , and .
- 1984. Kin selection and frequency dependence: a game theoretic approach. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 23:133–143.
- 1985. Kinship, reciprocity and synergism in the evolution of social behaviour. Nature 318:366–367.
- 2003. Single-gene greenbeard effects in the social amoeba Dictostelium discoideum. Science 299:105–106. , , , and .
- 1981. Are green beard genes outlaws? Anim. Behav. 29:954–955. , and .
- 2002. Bacteriocins: evolution, ecology and application. A. Rev. Microbiol. 56:117–137. , and .
- 2003. A phylogenetic approach to assessing the targets of microbial warfare. J. Evol. Biol. 16:690–697. , , , and .
- 2002. Experimental conversion of colony social organization by manipulation of worker genotype composition in fire ants (Solenopsis invicta). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 51:287–295. , and .
- 2007. Constraints on the origin and maintenance of genetic kin recognition. Evolution 61:2320–2330. , and .
- 2004. The company of strangers: a natural history of economic life. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ .
- 2003. Morphs, dispersal behavior, genetic similarity, and the evolution of cooperation. Science 300:1949–1951. , and .
- 2008. FLO1 is a variable greenbeard gene that drives biofilm-like cooperation in budding yeast. Cell 135:727–737. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Cadherins in maternal-foetal interactions: red queen with a green beard? Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 272:643–649. , and .
- 1992. Altruism in viscous populations—an inclusive fitness model. Evol. Ecol. 6:352–356.
- 1991. Rapid spread of an inherited incompatability factor in California Drosophila. Nature 353:440–442. , and .
- 1997. Biology of Wolbachia. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 42:587–609.
- 2006. Social evolution theory for microbes. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 4:597–607. , , , and .
- 2007a. Evolutionary explanations for cooperation. Curr. Biol. 17:R661–R672. , , and .
- 2007b. Social semantics: altruism, cooperation, mutualism, strong reciprocity and group selection. J. Evol. Biol. 20:415–432. , , and .
- 2007. Cell-cell communication in the plant pathogen Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 362:1135–1148. , and .
- 1997. Group selection and assortative interactions. Am. Nat. 149:336–351. , and .
- 2005. Eusociality: origin and consequences. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102:13367–13371. , and .
- 1931. Evolution in Mendelian populations. Genetics 16:97–159.