ARE SPECIES REAL? THE SHAPE OF THE SPECIES BOUNDARY WITH EXPONENTIAL FAILURE, REINFORCEMENT, AND THE “MISSING SNOWBALL”
Version of Record online: 23 SEP 2009
© 2009 The Author(s). Journal compilation © 2009 The Society for the Study of Evolution
Volume 64, Issue 1, pages 1–24, January 2010
How to Cite
Gourbière, S. and Mallet, J. (2010), ARE SPECIES REAL? THE SHAPE OF THE SPECIES BOUNDARY WITH EXPONENTIAL FAILURE, REINFORCEMENT, AND THE “MISSING SNOWBALL”. Evolution, 64: 1–24. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2009.00844.x
- Issue online: 8 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 23 SEP 2009
- Received August 26, 2009Accepted August 27, 2009
- 2005. Tempo of hybrid inviability in centrarchid fishes (Teleostei: Centrarchidae). Evolution 59:1754–1767. , and .
- 2000. Rapid chromosomal evolution in mice. Nature (London) 403:158. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1995. Reinforcement: an idea evolving. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10:432–434.
- 1988. Fertile mules. J. R. Soc. Med. 81:2.
- 2004. Estimates of the genome mutation rate for detrimental alleles in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 167:815–826. , , , and .
- 1999. The role of the mismatch machinery in regulating mitotic and meiotic recombination between diverged sequences in yeast. Genetics 151:1299–1313. , and .
- 1991. Lack of underdominance in a naturally occurring pericentric inversion in Drosophila melanogaster and its implications for chromosome evolution. Genetics 129:791–802. , , and .
- 1997. Perspective: a critique of Sewall Wright's shifting balance theory of evolution. Evolution 51:643–671. , , and .
- 1989. Patterns of speciation in Drosophila. Evolution 43:362–381. , and .
- 1997. “Patterns of speciation in Drosophila” revisited. Evolution 51:295–303. , and .
- 2004. Speciation. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland , MA . , and .
- 1859. On the origin of species by means of natural selection, or the preservation of favoured races in the struggle for life. John Murray, London .
- 2003. Engineering evolution to study speciation in yeasts. Nature (London) 422:68–72. , , , , , and .
- 1940. Speciation as a stage in evolutionary divergence. Am Nat 74:312–321.
- 2004. Genetic mapping of sexual isolation between E and Z strains of the European corn borer (Ostrinia nubilialis). Genetics 167:301–309. , , and .
- 2002. Host races in plant-feeding insects and their importance in sympatric speciation. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 357:471–492. , and .
- 2002. Does parental divergence predict reproductive compatibility. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:520–527.
- 2002. Molecular correlates of reproductive isolation. Evolution 56:191–198.
- 1997. Hybridization frequency is negatively correlated with divergence time of mitochondrial DNA haplotypes in a sea star (Leptasterias spp.) species complex. Evolution 51:283–288.
- 2003. Models of speciation: what have we learned in 40 years? Evolution 57:2197–2215.
- 2004. Fitness landscapes and the origin of species. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ .
- 2007. A screen for recessive speciation genes expressed in the gametes of F1 hybrid yeast. PLoS Genet. 3:e21.
- 2003. A role for the mismatch repair system during incipient speciation in Saccharomyces. J. Evol. Biol. 16:429–437. , , , and .
- 2000. Natural selection and the reinforcement of mate recognition. Science 290:519–521. , , and .
- 1996. The genetics of reproductive isolation in the Drosophila simulans clade: X vs. autosomal effects and male vs. female effects. Genetics 143:1243–1255. , and .
- 1996. The mismatch repair system contributes to meiotic sterility in an interspecific yeast hybrid. EMBO J. 15:1726–1733. , , , and .
- 2005. Assortative mating and speciation as pleiotropic effects of ecological adaptation: examples in moths and butterflies. Pp. 451–473 in M.Fellowes, ed. Insect evolutionary ecology. Royal Entomological Society, London . , , and .
- 2006. Patterns and processes of speciation: the evolution of reproductive isolating barriers. Pp. 374–386 in C. W.Fox and J. B.Wolf, eds. Evolutionary genetics. concepts and case studies. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford .
- 2007. Chromosome inversions, local adaptation and speciation. Genetics 173:419–434. , and .
- 2002. Speciation by natural and sexual selection. Am. Nat. 159:S22–S35. , and .
- 1993. Divergence in proteins, mitochondrial DNA, and reproductive compatibility across the Isthmus of Panama. Science 260:1629–1632. , , , , and .
- 2002. Dobzhansky-Muller incompatibilities in protein evolution. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 99:14878–14883. , , and .
- 2006. Sequence diversity, reproductive isolation and species concepts in Saccharomyces. Genetics 174:839–850. , , and .
- 1998. The effect of mismatch repair and heteroduplex formation on sexual isolation in Bacillus. Genetics 148:13–18. , and .
- 2005. Hybridization as an invasion of the genome. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20:229–237.
- 2006. What has Drosophila genetics revealed about speciation? Trends Ecol. Evol. 21:386–393.
- 1998. Mimicry and warning color at the boundary between races and species. Pp. 390–403 in D. J.Howard, ed. Endless forms: species and speciation. Oxford Univ. Press, New York . , , and .
- 2004. Quantifying patterns in the evolution of reproductive isolation. Evolution 58:1424–1433. , , and .
- 1977. Data analysis and regression. Addison-Wesley, Reading , MA . , and .
- 2002. Hybrid sterility, Haldane's rule, and speciation in Heliconius cydno and H. melpomene. Genetics 161:1517–1526. , , , and .
- 1995. Speciation driven by natural selection in Drosophila. Nature (London) 375:674–675.
- 1995. The population genetics of speciation: the evolution of hybrid incompatibilities. Genetics 139:1805–1813.
- 1998. The population genetics of adaptation: the distribution of factors fixed during adaptive evolution. Evolution 52:935–949.
- 2001. The evolution of postzygotic isolation: accumulating Dobzhansky-Muller incompatibilities. Evolution 55:1085–1094. , and .
- 2004. Speciation genes. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 14:675–679. , , and .
- 2002. Patterns of postzygotic isolation in Lepidoptera. Evolution 56:1168–1183.
- 2002. The evolution of F1 postzygotic incompatibilities in birds. Evolution 56:2083–2089. , and .
- 1991. Is Haldane's Rule significant? Evolution 45:1707–1709. , and .
- 1996. Role of gene interactions in hybrid speciation: evidence from ancient and experimental hybrids. Science 272:741–745. , , , , and .
- 1998. Patterns of postzygotic isolation in frogs. Evolution 52:1811–1820. , , and .
- 2003. The role of reinforcement in speciation: theory and data. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 34:339–364. , and .
- 1996. A genome-wide survey of hybrid incompatibility factors by the introgression of marked segments of Drosophila mauritiana chromosomes into Drosophila simulans. Genetics 142:819–837. , , and .
- 2007. Asymmetric postmating isolation: Darwin's corollary to Haldane's Rule. Genetics 176:1059–1088. , and .
- 1995. The dominance theory of Haldane's rule. Genetics 140:389–402. , and .
- 2000. Dominance, epistasis and the genetics of postzygotic isolation. Genetics 154:1663–1679. , and .
- 2001. Theory and speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:330–343. , , and .
- 1982. Rate of accumulation of reproductive isolation by chromosome rearrangements. Am. Nat. 120:510–532.
- 2004. Accumulating Dobzhansky-Muller incompatibilities: reconciling theory and data. Evolution 58:1145–1156.
- 1989. Novel putative receptor tyrosine kinase encoded by the melanoma-inducing Tu locus in Xiphophorus. Nature (London) 341:415–421. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Now blows the east wind. Nature (London) 380:105–106.
- 1996. Haldane's rule and its legacy: why are there so many sterile males? Trends Ecol. Evol. 11:281–284. , , and .
- 1995. The log-linear relationship between sexual isolation and sequence divergence in Bacillus is robust. Genetics 140:917–932. , , and .