THE SELECTIVE ADVANTAGE OF CRYPSIS IN MICE
Version of Record online: 15 FEB 2010
© 2010 The Author(s). Journal compilation © 2010 The Society for the Study of Evolution
Volume 64, Issue 7, pages 2153–2158, July 2010
How to Cite
Vignieri, S. N., Larson, J. G. and Hoekstra, H. E. (2010), THE SELECTIVE ADVANTAGE OF CRYPSIS IN MICE. Evolution, 64: 2153–2158. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2010.00976.x
- Issue online: 6 JUL 2010
- Version of Record online: 15 FEB 2010
- Received October 7, 2009Accepted January 29, 2010
- 1993. Differential avoidance of coral snake banded patterns by free-ranging avian predators in Costa Rica. Evolution 47:227–235.
- 1995. Experimental studies of coral snake mimicry—generalized avoidance of ringed snake patterns by free-ranging avian predators. Funct. Ecol. 9:186–190. , and .
- 1994. Ultraviolet vision in birds: what is its function? Vision Res. 34:1471–1478. , and .
- 2007. Interactive effects of size, contrast, intensity and configuration of background objects in evoking disruptive camouflage in cuttlefish. Vision Res. 47:2223–2235. , , and .
- 1972. Regression models and life tables. J. R. Stat. Soc. B 34:187–220.
- 2005. Disruptive coloration and background pattern matching. Nature 434:72–74. , , , , , and .
- 1859. On the origin of species by means of natural selection or the preservation of favoured races in the struggle for life, John Murray, London .
- 1940. Ecologic and genetic variability within species of Peromyscus. Am. Nat. 74:212–221.
- 1947. Effectiveness of selection by owls of deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus). Contrib. Lab. Vert. Biol. Univ. Mich. 34:1–20.
- 1949. The selection index and its test of significance. Evolution 3:262–265.
- 1996. Sexual selection and the evolution of sexual dimorphism in the waterstrider, Aquarius remigis. Evolution 50:1549–1559. , and .
- 1948. The theory of a cline. J. Genet. 48:277–284.
- 2006. A single amino acid mutation contributes to adaptive color pattern in beach mice. Science 313:101–104. , , , , and .
- 2006. Predation cost of conspicuous male coloration in collared lizards (Crotaphytus collaris): an experimental test using clay-covered model lizards. Ethology 112:572–580. , , , and .
- 2009. Interactions between background matching and motion during visual detection can explain why cryptic animals keep still. Biol. Lett. 5:191–193. , and .
- 1958. Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations. J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 53:457–481. , and .
- 1992. Visual textures, machine vision and animal camouflage. Trends Ecol. Evol. 7:163–167. , and .
- 2005. Experimental support for aposematic coloration in the salamander Ensatina eschscholtzii xanthoptica: implications for mimicry of Pacific newts. Copeia 2:265–271.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37:1210–1226. , and .
- 1959. Statistical aspects of the analysis of data from retrospective studies. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 22:719–748. , and .
- 1950. Pleistocene shorelines in Florida and Georgia. U.S. Geological Survey 221:59–107.
- 2008. Natural selection along an environmental gradient: a classic cline in mouse pigmentation. Evolution 62:1555–1570. , and .
- 2009. Adaptive basis of geographic variation: genetic, phenotypic and environmental differentiation among beach mouse populations. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 276:3809–3818. , , , and .
- 2009. The role of predator selection on polymorphic aposematic poison frogs. Biol. Lett. 5:51–54. , and .
- 2001. Frequency dependant Batesian mimicry. Nature 410:323. , , and .
- 2007. Experimental evidence for aposematism in the dendrobatid poison frog Oophaga pumilio. Copiea 4:1006–1011. , , , , and .
- 1988. Estimating the form of natural selection on a quantitative trait. Evolution 42:849–861.
- 1994. Exploring fitness surfaces. Am. Nat. 143:597–616. , and .
- 2007. Habitat but not body shape affects predator attack frequency on lizard models in the Brazilian Cerrado. Herpetologica 63:193–202.
- 2007. Adaptive variation in beach mice produced by two interacting pigmentation genes. PLoS Biol. 5:1880–1889. , , and .
- 2007. Predator perception and the interrelation between different forms of protective coloration. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 274:1457–1464.
- 2009. Animal camouflage: current issues and new perspectives. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B 1516:423–427. , and .
- 2008. Estimating nonlinear selection gradients using quadratic regression coefficients: double or nothing? Evolution 62:2435–2440. , , , , and .
- 1929a. The analysis of a concrete case of intergradation between two subspecies. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 15:110–120.
- 1929b. The analysis of a concrete case of intergradation between two subspecies. II. Additional data and interpretations. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 15:481–493.
- 2009. Behaviourally mediated crypsis in two nocturnal moths with contrasting appearance. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 1516:503–510. , , , and .