EVOLUTION OF VARIATION AND VARIABILITY UNDER FLUCTUATING, STABILIZING, AND DISRUPTIVE SELECTION
Version of Record online: 19 FEB 2010
© 2010 The Author(s). Journal compilation © 2010 The Society for the Study of Evolution
Volume 64, Issue 7, pages 1912–1925, July 2010
How to Cite
Pélabon, C., Hansen, T. F., Carter, A. J. R. and Houle, D. (2010), EVOLUTION OF VARIATION AND VARIABILITY UNDER FLUCTUATING, STABILIZING, AND DISRUPTIVE SELECTION. Evolution, 64: 1912–1925. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2010.00979.x
- Issue online: 6 JUL 2010
- Version of Record online: 19 FEB 2010
- Received September 16, 2009Accepted February 3, 2010
- 2003. Genomic coadaptation, outbreeding depression, and developmental stability. Pp. 116–134 in M.Polak, ed. Developmental Instability: causes and consequences. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , UK . , and .
- 2009. Effects of epistasis and the evolution of genetic architecture: exact results for a 2-locus model. Theor. Pop. Biol. 75:109–122. , , and .
- 1987. Adaptive landscapes, genetic distance and the evolution of quantitative characters. Genet. Res. Camb. 49:157–173. , and .
- 2006. A single basis for developmental buffering of Drosophila wing shape. Plos ONE, 1:e7. , , and .
- 1987. Evolution of phenotypic variance. Evolution 41:303–315.
- 1971. The effect of selection on genetic variability. Am. Nat. 105:201–211.
- 1980. The mathematical theory of quantitative genetics, Clarendon, Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford . .
- 1991. Moments, cumulants, and polygenic dynamics. J. Math. Biol. 30:199–213.
- 1999. Evolution of genetic variability and the advantage of sex and recombination in a changing environment. Genetics 153:1055–1069. .
- 2000. The mathematical theory of selection, recombination, and mutation. Wiley, Chichester . .
- 2002. On a genetic model of intraspecific competition and stabilizing selection. Am. Nat. 160:661–682. .
- 2005. The role of epistatic gene interactions in response to selection and the evolution of evolvability. Theor. Pop. Biol. 168:179–196. , , and .
- 2009. Heritability of directional asymmetry in Drosophila melanogaster. Int. J. Evol. Biol. Vol. 2009:1–7. , , and .
- 1998. The genetic basis of developmental stability. V. Inter- and intra-individual character variation. Heredity 80:562–567.
- 1987. Developmental stability of insecticide resistant phenotypes in blowfly: a result of canalizing natural selection. Nature 325:345–346. , and .
- 1987. Lack of response to selection for directional asymmetry in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Hered. 78:119.
- 2001. Mapping phenotypes: canalization and developmental plasticity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:555–561. , and .
- 2000. Independence between developmental stability and canalization in the skull of the house mouse. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267:423–430. , , , , and .
- 2006. Hsp90 and the quantitative variation of wing shape in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 60:2529–2538. , , , , and .
- 2009. Plasticity, canalization and developmental stability of the Drosophila wing: joint effects of mutation and developmental temperature. Evolution 63:2864–2876. , , and .
- 2003. Evolution and detection of genetic robustness. Evolution 57:1959–1972. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Evolution of evolvability in a developmental model. Evolution 62:301–315. , and .
- 2005. The evolutionary genetics of canalization. Quart. Rev. Biol. 80:287–316.
- 2003. Inheritance of developmental instability. Pp. 157–184 in M.Polak, ed. Developmental stability: causes and consequences. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , UK . , and .
- 2004. Fitness landscape and the origin of species. Monographs in Population Biology vol. 41. pp. 476. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton.
- 1994. A quantitative-genetic model for selection on developmental noise. Evolution 48:1478–1486. , and .
- 2001. The contrating genetic architecture of wing size and shape in Drosophila melanogaster. Heredity 86:144–152. , and .
- 2002. Canalization, developmental stability, and morphological integration in primate limbs. Year. Phys. Anthropol. 45:131–158. , , and .
- 1992. Selection in asexual populations: an extension of the fundamental theorem. J. Theor. Biol. 155:537–544.
- 2003. Is modularity necessary for evolvability? Remarks on the relationship between pleiotropy and evolvability. Biosystems 69:83–94. .
- 2006. The evolution of genetic architecture. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 37:123–157. .
- 2010. Epigenetics: adaptation or contingency? In B.Hallgrímsson and B. K.Hall, eds. Epigenetics: linking genotype and phenotype in development and evolution. California Univ. press. In press . .
- 2001. Modeling genetic architecture: a multilinear theory of gene interaction. Theor. Pop. Biol. 59:61–86. , and .
- 2006a. Evolution of genetic architecture under directional selection. Evolution 60:1523–1536. , , , , and .
- 2006b. On adaptive accuracy and precision in natural populations. Am. Nat. 168:168–181. , , and .
- 2003. Epistasis in polygenic traits and the evolution of genetic architecture under stabilizing selection. Am. Nat. 161:708–734. , , and .
- 2001. Trait variability and stress: canalization, developmental stability and the need for a broad approach. Ecol. Lett. 4:97–101. , and .
- 1998. How should we explain variation in the genetic variance of traits? Genetica 102:241–253.
- 2003. Natural selection in a bottle. Am. Nat. 161:50–67. , and .
- 2003. Automated measurement of Drosophila wings. BMC Evol. Biol. 3:25. , , , and .
- 2004. Evolution and stability of the G-matrix on a landscape with a moving optimum. Evolution 58:1639–1654. , , and .
- 2007. The mutation matrix and the evolution of evolvability. Evolution 61:727–745. , , and .
- 2000. The evolution of genetic canalization under fluctuating selection. Evolution 54:1–12.
- 2003. A developmental perspective on developmental instability: theory, models and mechanisms. Pp. 14–34 in M.Polak, ed. Developmental instability: causes and consequences. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , UK .
- 1998. Geometric morphometrics of developmental instability: analyzing patterns of fluctuating asymmetry with Procrustes methods. Evolution 52:1363–1375. , and .
- 2006. The evolution of genetic architecture under frequency-dependent disruptive selection. Evolution 60:1537–1550. , and .
- 1980. Genetic variation and progressive evolution. Am. Nat. 115:809–826.
- 2005. The genetics and evolution of fluctuating asymmetry. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 36:1–21. , and .
- 2005. An epistatic genetic basis for fluctuating asymmetry of tooth size and shape in mice. Heredity 94:316–325. , , , and .
- 1994. Optimal spline fitting to planar shape. Signal Process 37:129–140. , and .
- 2007. The origins of genome architecture. Sinauer.
- 1960. The genetics of a pattern. Genetics 45:1039–1050. , and .
- 1984. Association among protein heterozygosity, growth rate, and developmental homeostasis. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 15:479–499. , and .
- 2003. Developmental perspectives on phenotypic variation, canalization, and fluctuating asymmetry. Pp. 3–13 in M.Polak, ed. Developmental stability: causes and consequences. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , UK . , and .
- 1994. Fluctuating asymmetry analyses: a primer. Pp. 335–364 in T. A.Markow, ed. Development instability: its origins and evolutionary implications. Kluver Academic Publishers, Dordrecht .
- 1986. Fluctuating asymmetry: measurement, analysis, pattern. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 17:391–421. , and .
- 1992. Fluctuating asymmetry as a measure of developmental stability: implications of non-normal distributions and power of statistical test. Acta Zool. Fenn. 191:55–70. , and .
- 2004a. Variational and genetic properties of developmental stability in Dalechampia scandens. Evolution 58:504–514. , , , and .
- 2004b. Consequences of inter-population crosses on developmental stability and canalization of floral traits in Dalechampia scandens (Euphorbiaceae). J. Evol. Biol. 17:19–32. , , , , and .
- 2006. Response of fluctuating and directional asymmetry to selection on wing shape in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Evol. Biol. 19:764–776. , , , and .
- 2008. On the adaptive accuracy of subtle directional asymmetry in insect wing size. Evolution 62:2855–2867. , and .
- 2005. The opportunity for canalization and the evolution of genetic networks. Am. Nat. 165:147–162. , and .
- 2003. Inbreeding, developmental stability, and canalization in the sand cricket Gryllus firmus. Evolution 57:597–605. , and .
- 2006. Symmetry breaking in interspecific Drosophila hybrids is not due to developmental noise. Evolution 60:746–761. , , and .
- 2005. A mutation accumulation assay reveals a broad capacity for rapid evolution of gene expression. Nature 438:220–223. , , , and .
- 1990. Extensions of the Procrustes method for the optimal superimposition of landmarks. Syst. Zool. 39:40–59. , and .
- 2002. Genetics of wing asymmetry in Drosophila buzzatii. J. Evol. Biol. 15:720–734.
- 1967. Stabilizing and disruptive selection on a mutant character in Drosophila. I. The phenotypic variance and its components. Genetics 56:709–726. , , and .
- 2006. Environmental and genetic sources of diversification in the timing of seed germination: implications for the evolution of bet hedging. Evolution 60:2280–2292. , and .
- 1983. Effects of disruptive selection on genetic variance. Theor. Appl. Genet. 65:173–180. , and .
- 2004. The maintenance (or not) of polygenic variation by soft selection in heterogeneous environments. Am. Nat. 164:70–84. , and .
- 1959. Effects of disruptive selection. I. Genetic flexibility. Heredity 13:187–203.
- 1990. Lack of response to family selection for directional asymmetry in Drosophila melanogaster– left and right are not distinguished in development. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 241:146–152. , , and .
- 1990. Dynamics of polygenic characters under selection. Theor. Pop. Biol. 38:1–57. , and .
- 2000. The evolutionary potential of developmental instability. J. Evol. Biol. 13:326–335. , and .
- 1962. A study of fluctuating asymmetry. Evolution 16:125–142.
- 1999. A meta-analysis of fluctuating asymmetry in relation to heterozygosity. Heredity 83:206–218. , , and .
- 1957. The strategy of the genes. MacMillan Co., New York .
- 1996. Complex adaptations and the evolution of evolvability. Evolution 50:967–976. , and .
- 1997. A population genetic theory of canalization. Evolution 51:329–347. , , and .
- 2005. The relationship between fluctuating asymmetry and environmental variance in Rhesus macaque skulls. Evolution 59:898–909. , , and .
- 2005. Evolution and maintenance of the environmental component of the phenotypic variance: benefit of plastic traits under changing environments. Am. Nat. 166:569–580.
- 2005. Evolution of the environmental component of the phenotypic variance: stabilizing selection in changing environments and the cost of homogeneity. Evolution 59:1237–1244. , and .