GLOBAL ANALYSIS OF GENES INVOLVED IN FRESHWATER ADAPTATION IN THREESPINE STICKLEBACKS (GASTEROSTEUS ACULEATUS)
Version of Record online: 10 MAR 2011
© 2011 The Author(s). Evolution© 2011 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 65, Issue 6, pages 1800–1807, June 2011
How to Cite
DeFaveri, J., Shikano, T., Shimada, Y., Goto, A. and Merilä, J. (2011), GLOBAL ANALYSIS OF GENES INVOLVED IN FRESHWATER ADAPTATION IN THREESPINE STICKLEBACKS (GASTEROSTEUS ACULEATUS). Evolution, 65: 1800–1807. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2011.01247.x
- Issue online: 3 JUN 2011
- Version of Record online: 10 MAR 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 11 FEB 2011 03:58AM EST
- Received October 21, 2010, Accepted January 24, 2011
- 2008. Convergence and parallelism reconsidered: what have we learned about the genetics of adaptation? Trends. Ecol. Evol. 23:26–32. , and .
- 2008. Convergent evolution in the genetic basis of Mullerian mimicry in Heliconius butterflies. Genetics 180:1567–1577. , , , , , , , , and .
- Bell, M. A., and S. A. Foster, eds. 1994. Introduction to the evolutionary biology of the threespine stickleback. Pp. 1–27 in The evolutionary biology of the threespine stickleback. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford .
- 2008. Population genomics: a new generation of genome scans to bridge the gap with functional genomics. Mol. Ecol. 17:3583–3584.
- 2006. Explorative genome scan to detect candidate loci for adaptation along a gradient of altitude in the common frog (Rana temporaria). Mol. Biol. Evol. 23:773–783. , , , and .
- 2006. The utility of QTL-linked markers to detect selective sweeps in natural populations—a case study of the EDA gene and a linked marker in threespine stickleback. Mol. Ecol. 15:4613–4621. , , , and .
- 2005. Widespread parallel evolution in sticklebacks by repeated fixation of Ectodysplasin alleles. Science 307:1928–1933. , , , ., , , , , , and .
- 2007. The role of aquaporin 3 in teleost fish. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 148A:82–91. , , and .
- 2008. Selection and genomic differentiation during ecological speciation: isolating the contributions of host association via a comparative genome scan of Neochlamisus bebbianae leaf beetles. Evolution 62:1162–1181. , , and .
- 2005. The multifunctional fish gill: dominant site of gas exchange, osmoregulation, acid-base regulation, and excretion of nitrogenous waste. Physiol. Rev. 85:97–177. , , and .
- 2009. The evolutionary origins of beneficial alleles during the repeated adaptation of garter snakes to deadly prey. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 106:13415–13420. , ., , and .
- 2001. FSTAT, a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices (version 2.9.3) Available at http://www.unil.ch/izea/softwares/fstat.html. Accessed October 12, 2010.
- 2009. A novel role for Mc1r in the parallel evolution of depigmentation in independent populations of the cavefish Astyanax mexicanus. PLoS Genet. 5:e1000326. , , and .
- 2003. Different genes underlie adaptive melanism in different populations of rock pocket mice. Mol. Ecol. 12:1185–1194. , and .
- 2010. Population genomics of parallel adaptation in threespine stickleback using sequenced RAD tags. PLoS Genet. 6:e1000862. , , , , , and .
- 2005. HP-RARE 1.0: a computer program for performing rarefaction on measures of allelic richness. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5:185–187.
- 2003. A microsatellite variability screen for positive selection associated with the “Out of Africa” habitat expansion of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 165:1137–1148. , , and .
- 2006. Multiple occurrences of spiggin genes in sticklebacks. Gene 373:58–66. , and .
- 2007. The molecular genetics of evolutionary change in sticklebacks. Pp. 41–81 in S. Östlund-Nilsson, I. Mayer, F. A. Huntingford, eds. Biology of the three-spined stickleback. CRC Press, Boca Raton , FL . , and .
- 2009. The genetics of quantitative traits: challenges and prospects. Nat. Rev. Genet. 10:565–577. , , and .
- 2008. Mitochondrial DNA phylogeography of the three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) in Europe—evidence for multiple glacial refugia. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 46:167–182. , and .
- 2008a. Identifying footprints of directional and balancing selection in marine and freshwater three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) populations. Mol. Ecol. 17:3565–3582. , , and .
- 2008b. Hitchhiking mapping reveals a candidate genomic region for natural selection in three-spines stickleback chromosome VIII. Genetics 178:3565–3582. , , , and .
- 2001. Endocrine control of osmoregulation in teleost fish. Am. Zool. 41:781–794.
- 2007. Cis-regulatory changes in Kit ligand expression and parallel evolution of pigmentation in sticklebacks and humans. Cell 131:1179–1189. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Heterogenous genomic differentiation between walking-stick ecotypes: “Isolation by adaptation” and multiple roles for divergent selection. Evolution 62:316–336. , , and .
- 2009. Divergent selection and heterogeneous genomic divergence. Mol. Ecol. 18:375–402. , , and .
- 2010. New evidence for habitat-specific selection in Wadden Sea Zostera marina populations revealed by genome scanning using SNP and microsatellite markers. Mar. Biol. 157:81–89. , , , and .
- 2005. The genetic theory of adaptation: a brief history. Nat. Rev. Genet. 6:119–127.
- 1994. Global survey of mitochondrial DNA sequences in the threespine stickleback: evidence for recent migrations. Evolution 48:608–622. , , , and .
- 2006. Soft sweeps III: the signature of selection from recurrent mutation. PLoS Genet. 2:e186. , and .
- 2003. The gill and homeostatis: transport under stress. Am. J. Physiol. Reg. I. 285:1269–1271.
- 2007. Divergent selection as revealed by PST and QTL-based FST in three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) populations along a coastal-inland gradient. Mol. Ecol. 16:891–905. , , , , and .
- 2009. Genetics and ecological speciation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 106:9955–9962. , and .
- 2002. Towards a molecular characterization of adaptation in local populations. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 12:638–687.
- 2006. Parallel genetic origins of pelvic reduction in vertebrates. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103:13753–13758. , , and .
- 2010. Identification of local- and habitat-dependent selection: scanning functionally important genes in nine-spined sticklebacks (Pungitius pungitius). Mol. Biol. Evol. 27:2775–2789. , , and .
- 2011. A high incidence of selection on physiologically important genes in the three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Mol. Biol. Evol. 28:181–193. , , and .
- 2005. Using genome scans of DNA polymorphism to infer adaptive population divergence. Mol. Ecol. 14:671–688.
- 1999. Identification by differential display of a hypertonicity-inducible inward rectifier potassium channel highly expressed in chloride cells. J. Biol. Chem. 274:11376–11382. , , , , , , , , , and
- 2005. Expressed sequence tag-linked microsatellites as a source of gene-associated polymorphisms for detecting signatures of divergent selection in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Mol. Biol. Evol. 22:1067–1076. , , and .
- 2003. DetSel 1.0: a computer program to detect markers responding to selection. J. Hered. 94:429–431. , , , and .
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .
- 2005. Many-to-one mapping of form to function: a general principle in organismal design? Integr. Comp. Biol. 45:256–262. , , , and .
- 1984. A functional biology of sticklebacks. Univ. of California Press, Berkley , CA .
- 1996. Molecular cloning and cold-inducible gene expression of ferritin H subunit isoforms in rainbow trout cells. J. Biol. Chem. 271:26908–26913. , , and .