EIGHT CRITICISMS NOT TO MAKE ABOUT GROUP SELECTION
Article first published online: 3 APR 2011
© 2011 The Author(s). Evolution© 2011 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 65, Issue 6, pages 1523–1526, June 2011
How to Cite
Eldakar, O. T. and Wilson, D. S. (2011), EIGHT CRITICISMS NOT TO MAKE ABOUT GROUP SELECTION. Evolution, 65: 1523–1526. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2011.01290.x
- Issue published online: 3 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 3 APR 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 11 MAR 2011 08:51AM EST
- Received February 20, 2011, Accepted February 28, 2011
- 2004. Know when to walk away: contingent movement and the evolution of cooperation. J. Theor. Biol. 231:249–260.
- 1871. The descent of man, and selection in relation to sex, Volumes 1 and 2. Appleton , NY .
- 2009. Population structure mediates sexual conflict in water striders. Science 326:816. , , , and .
- 2010. The role of multilevel selection in the evolution of sexual conflict in the water strider Aquarius remigis. Evolution 64:3183–3189. , , , and .
- 1997. Experimental studies of group selection: what do they tell us about group selection in nature? Am. Nat. 150:S59–S79. , and .
- 1992. Contextual analysis of models of group selection, soft selection, hard selection, and the evolution of altruism. Am. Nat. 140:743–761. , , and .
- 1975. Innate social aptitudes in man, an approach from evolutionary genetics. Pp. 133–155 in R. Fox, ed. Biosocial anthropology. Malaby Press, London .
- 2010. The price of altruism: George Price and the search for the origins of kindness. Norton , New York .
- 1987. A method for analyzing selection in hierarchically structured populations. Am. Nat. 130:582–602. , and .
- 2006. Local migration promotes competitive restraint in a host-pathogen “tragedy of the commons.” Nature 442:75–78. , , , and .
- 2008. The needs of the many. Nature 456:296–299.
- 2006. Evolution and the levels of selection. Oxford Univ. Press, NY .
- 2007. Simple models of assortment through environmental feedback. Artificial Life 13:1–9.
- 2002. A mechanism for the evolution of altruism among non-kin: positive assortment through environmental feedback. Am. Nat. 160:205–213. and .
- 1970. Selection and covariance. Nature 227:520–521.
- 1972. Extension of covariance selection mathematics. Ann. Hum. Genet. 35:485–490.
- 2011. Did Darwin write the origin backwards. Prometheus Press, Amherst , NY .
- 1998. Unto others, The evolution and psychology of unselfish behavior. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge , MA . , and .
- 2004. The evolution of reproductive restraint through social communication. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 101:11019–11024. , and .
- 1966. Adaptation and natural selection: a critique of some current evolutionary thought. Princeton Univ. Press, NJ .
- 1992. Natural selection: domains, levels, and challenges. Oxford Univ. Press, NY .
- 2007. Rethinking the theoretical foundation of sociobiology. Q. Rev. Biol. 82: 327–348. , and .
- 1962. Animal dispersion in relation to social behaviour. Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh .
- 1986. Evolution through group selection. Blackwell Scientific, Boston , MA .