Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
POLYANDRY AND THE DECREASE OF A SELFISH GENETIC ELEMENT IN A WILD HOUSE MOUSE POPULATION
Article first published online: 28 MAY 2011
© 2011 The Author(s).
Volume 65, Issue 9, pages 2435–2447, September 2011
How to Cite
Manser, A., Lindholm, A. K., König, B. and Bagheri, H. C. (2011), POLYANDRY AND THE DECREASE OF A SELFISH GENETIC ELEMENT IN A WILD HOUSE MOUSE POPULATION. Evolution, 65: 2435–2447. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2011.01336.x
- Issue published online: 1 SEP 2011
- Article first published online: 28 MAY 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 MAY 2011 09:40AM EST
- Received january 26, 2011, Accepted March 29, 2011, Data Archived: Dryad doi:10.5061/dryad.9069
- 1998. Putting the brake on drive: meiotic drive of t haplotypes in natural populations of mice. Trends Genet. 14:189–193.
- 1996. Low frequency of mouse t haplotypes in wild populations is not explained by modifiers of meiotic drive. Genetics 144:1787–1797. , and .
- 1998. Low frequency of t haplotypes in natural populations of house mice (Mus musculus domesticus). Evolution 52:1185–1196. , and .
- 2000. The evolution of polyandry: multiple mating and female fitness in insects. Anim. Behav. 60:145–164. , and .
- 1982. Gene mapping within the T/t complex of the mouse. I: t-lethal genes are nonallelic. Cell 28:463–470. , , and .
- 2003. The evolution of autosomal suppressors of sex-ratio drive in Drosophila simulans. Genetica 117:47–58. , , , , and .
- 2004. Sex-ratio distorter of Drosophila simulans reduces male productivity and sperm competition ability. J. Evol. Biol. 17:744. , , , and .
- 2007. The t-complex-encoded guanine nucleotide exchange factor Fgd2 reveals that two opposing signaling pathways promote transmission ratio distortion in the mouse. Genes Develop. 21:143. , , , and .
- 2005. The t complex-encoded GTPase-activating protein Tagap1 acts as a transmission ratio distorter in mice. Na. Genet. 37:969–973. , , , and .
- 1996. Selection and the `sex-ratio' polymorphism in natural populations of Drosophila pseudoobscura. Evolution 50:787–794.
- 1983. Genetic analysis of transmission ratio distortion by t-haplotypes in the mouse. Genet. Res. 41:29. , , and .
- 1957. Male segregation ratio advantage as a factor in maintaining lethal alleles in wild populations of house mice. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 43:152–158.
- 2006. Genes in conflict: the biology of selfish genetic elements. Belknap Press, Cambridge . , and .
- 2005. Genetic evidence of multiple paternity in a wild house mouse population. Master's thesis, University of Zurich , Zurich .
- 2004. Fitness effects of a selfish gene (the Mus t complex) are revealed in an ecological context. Evolution 58:1318–1328. , , , , and .
- 1978. Population dynamics of the segregation distorter polymorphism of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 89:171–192. , and .
- 1992. Female preferences based on male quality in house mice: interaction between male dominance rank and t-complex genotype. Ethology 90:1–16. , and .
- 2006. Wolbachia infection reduces sperm competitive ability in an insect. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273:1455–1458. , and .
- 2006. The frequency of multiple paternity suggests that sperm competition is common in house mice (Mus domesticus). Mol. Ecol. 15:4141–4151. , , and .
- 1927. Sur la reproduction des souris anoures. Comptes Rendus Séances Société de Biologie et de ses Filiales 97:116–119. , and .
- 2003. Identification and characterization of t haplotypes in wild mice populations using molecular markers. Genet. Res. 81:103–114. , , , , and .
- 1958. Relative fitness of wild house mice heterozygous for a lethal allele. Am. Nat. 92:215–220. , , and .
- 2008a. The frequency of multiple paternity predicts variation in testes size among island populations of house mice. J. Evol. Biol. 21:1524–1535. , and .
- 2008b. Polyandry facilitates postcopulatory inbreeding avoidance in house mice. Evolution 62:603–611. , and .
- 2008c. Polyandry, sperm competition, and reproductive success in mice. Behav. Ecol. 19:695–702. , and .
- 1986. The influence of genetic background and the homologous chromosome 17 on t-haplotype transmission ratio distortion in mice. Genetics 114:235–245. , , and .
- 1995. Multiple mating, sperm competition and meiotic drive. J. Evol. Biol. 8:265–282. , and .
- 1989. Evolution of mouse chromosome 17 and the origin of inversions associated with t haplotypes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 86:3261–3265. , , and .
- 2010. House mouse colonization patterns on the sub-Antarctic Kerguelen Archipelago suggest singular primary invasions and resilience against re-invasion. BMC Evol. Biol. 10:325. , , , , , , , and .
- 1970. A mathematical model for recessive lethal segregation distorters with differential viabilities in the sexes. Genetics 66:147–163.
- 1984. Suppressor systems of segregation distorter (SD) chromosomes in natural populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 106:279–292. , and .
- 2001. Frequency and distribution of t-haplotypes in the Southeast Asian house mouse (Mus musculus castaneus) in Taiwan. Mol. Ecol. 10:2349–2354. , , and .
- 1969. A comparison of the relative fitness of genotypes segregating for the tw2 allele in laboratory stock and its possible effect on gene frequency in mouse populations. Am. Nat. 103:5–21. , and .
- 1984. Polymorphism of t-complex genes in European wild mice. Genet. Res. 44:39–46. , , and .
- 1994. Female preference and variability among t-haplotypes in wild house mice. Am. Nat. 143:766–784. , , and .
- 1996. Genetic basis for male aggression and survivorship in wild house mice (Mus domesticus). Aggressive Behav. 22:135–145. , , , and .
- 1985. Female discrimination of male odors correlated with male genotype at the T locus: a response to T-locus or H-2-locus variability? Behav. Genet. 15:53–67. , and .
- 1988. Distribution of t-haplotypes in natural populations of wild house mice. J. Mammal. 69:489–499. , , and .
- 1969. The effect of migration on the maintenance of a lethal polymorphism in the house mouse. Am. Nat. 103:647–661. , , and .
- 1968. The effect of differential viability on the population dynamics of t alleles in the house mouse. Evolution 22:262–273.
- 1960. The evolutionary dynamics of a polymorphism in the house mouse. Genetics 45:705–722. , and .
- 2003. Transmission ratio distortion in mice. Annu. Rev. Genet. 37:393–408.
- 1993. The role of deme size, reproductive patterns, and dispersal in the dynamics of t-lethal haplotypes. Evolution 47:1342–1359.
- 2006. Evolution and the levels of selection. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford .
- 1986. Fertility of sperm from t/+ mice: evidence that +-bearing sperm are dysfunctional. Genet. Res. 47:49–52. , and .
- 1991. Individual variation in the neural timing of infanticide and parental behavior in male house mice. Physiol. Behav. 50:287–296. , , and .
- 1983. The maintenance of polymorphisms at two loci in house mouse (Mus musculus) populations. Genome 25:190–201. , and .
- 2008a. Sex ratio distorter reduces sperm competitive ability in an insect. Evolution 62:1644–1652. , , , , , and ,
- 2008b. Selfish genetic elements promote polyandry in a fly. Science 332:1241–1243. , , , , and .
- 2008. Selfish genetic elements and sexual selection: their impact on male fertility. Genetica 134:99–111. , and .
- 2003. Free female choice in house mice: leaving best for last. Behaviour 140:1371–1388. , , and .
- 2000. Segregation distortion of mouse t haplotypes the molecular basis emerges. Trends Genet. 16:240–243.
- 1993. The peculiar journey of a selfish chromosome: mouse t haplotypes and meiotic drive. Trends Genet. 9:250.
- 1984. Transmission ratio distortion of mouse t haplotypes is not a consequence of wild-type sperm degeneration. Develop. Biol. 105:250–252. , and .
- 2000. Offsetting effects of Wolbachia infection and heat shock on sperm production in drosophila simulans analyses of fecundity, fertility and accessory gland proteins. Genetics 155:167–178. , , , and .
- 1929. Fisher's theory of dominance. Am. Nat. 68:562–565.
- 1967. A proposition on the population dynamics of the sterile t alleles in the house mouse. Evolution 21:190–192.
- 1996. The evolution of polyandry I: intragenomic conflict and genetic incompatibility. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263:1711–1717. , and .
- 1997. The evolution of polyandry II: post-copulatory defences against genetic incompatibility. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 264:69–75. , and .