THE EVOLUTION OF PUNISHMENT IN n-PLAYER PUBLIC GOODS GAMES: A VOLUNTEER'S DILEMMA
Version of Record online: 22 AUG 2011
© 2011 The Author(s). Evolution© 2011 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 65, Issue 10, pages 2725–2728, October 2011
How to Cite
Raihani, N. J. and Bshary, R. (2011), THE EVOLUTION OF PUNISHMENT IN n-PLAYER PUBLIC GOODS GAMES: A VOLUNTEER'S DILEMMA. Evolution, 65: 2725–2728. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2011.01383.x
- Issue online: 3 OCT 2011
- Version of Record online: 22 AUG 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 JUN 2011 04:26AM EST
- Received May 17, 2011, Accepted June 4, 2011
- 2009a. Cooperation as a volunteer's dilemma and the strategy of conflict in public goods games. J. Evol. Biol. 22:2192–2200.
- 2009b. The volunteer's dilemma and the optimal size of a social group. J. Theor. Biol. 261:475–480. .
- 2011. A strategy to increase cooperation in the volunteer's dilemma: reducing vigilance improves alarm calls. Evolution 65:885–892. .
- 2011. Coexistence of cooperation and defection in public goods games. Evolution 65:1140–1148. , and .
- 2006. Reputational benefits for altruistic punishment. Evol. Hum. Behav. 27:325–344.
- 2004. The evolution of strong reciprocity: cooperation in heterogeneous populations. Theor. Pop. Biol. 65:17–28. , and .
- 1992. Punishment allows the evolution of cooperation (or anything else) in sizeable groups. Ethol. Sociobiol. 13:171–195. and .
- 2003. The evolution of altruistic punishment. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 100:3531–3535. , , , and .
- 2010. Coordinated punishment of defectors sustains cooperation and can proliferate when rare. Science 328:617–620. , , and .
- 2010. Beneficial laggards: multilevel selection, cooperative polymorphism and division of labour in threshold public goods games. BMC Evol. Biol. 10:336–348. , and .
- 2003. Punishment and reputation in spatial public goods games. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270:1099–1104. , , and .
- 2005. Punishment and partner switching cause cooperative behaviour in a cleaning mutualism. Biol. Lett. 1:396–399. , and .
- 2010. Self-serving punishment of a common enemy creates a public good in reef fishes. Curr. Biol. 20:2032–2035. , and .
- 1995. Punishment in animal societies. Nature 373:209–216. and .
- 2006. The puzzle of cooperation. Nature 440:744–745. ,
- 1985. Volunteer's dilemma. J. Conflict Resolution 29:605–610.
- 2008. Winners don't punish. Nature 452:348–351. , , , and .
- 2000. Cooperation and punishment in public goods experiments. Am. Econ. Rev. 90:980–994. , and .
- 2002. Altruistic punishment in humans. Nature 415:137–140. , and .
- 2005. Altruistic punishment and the evolution of cooperation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102:7047–7049.
- 2008. The long-run benefits of punishment. Science 322:1510. , , and .
- 2004. Cooperation and punishment, especially in humans. Am. Nat. 164:753–764. , and .
- 2000. Strong reciprocity and human sociality. J. Theor. Biol. 206:169–179.
- 2007. Via freedom to coercion: the emergence of costly punishment. Science 316:1905–1907. , , , , and .
- 2006. Costly punishment across human societies. Science 312:1767–1770. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Strong reciprocity or strong ferocity? A population genetic view of the evolution of altruistic punishment. Am. Nat. 170:21–36. , , , and .
- 2006. Cooperation experiments: coordination through communication versus acting apart together. Anim. Behav. 71:1–18.
- 2009. A general framework for analyzing sustainability of social-ecological systems. Science 325:419–422.
- 1999. Revisiting the commons: local lessons, global challenges. Science 284:278–282. , , , , and .
- 2009. Evolutionary dynamics of collective action in N-person stag-hunt dilemmas. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 276:315–321. , , , and .
- Uncertainty, rationality and cooperation in the context of climate change. Clim. Change. , and . in press.
- 2011. Resolving the iterated prisoner's dilemma: theory and reality. J. Evol. Biol 24:1628–1639. , and .
- 2010. Punishers benefit from third-party punishment in fish. Science 327:171. , , and .
- 2009. Positive interactions promote public cooperation. Science 325:1272–1275. , , , , and .
- 2010. Anti-social punishment can prevent the co-evolution of punishment and cooperation. , , , and .
- 2006. The efficient interaction of indirect reciprocity and costly punishment. Nature 444:718–723. , and .
- 2007. Punishing free-riders: direct and indirect promotion of cooperation. Evol. Hum. Behav. 28:330–339. , and .
- 2010. Altruism, spite, and greenbeards. Science 327:1341–1344. , and .
- 1986. The provision of a sanctioning system as a public good. J. Pers. Soc. Psychol. 51:110–116.