REVERSE EVOLUTION: SELECTION AGAINST COSTLY RESISTANCE IN DISEASE-FREE MICROCOSM POPULATIONS OF PARAMECIUM CAUDATUM
Version of Record online: 13 JUL 2011
© 2011 The Author(s). Evolution© 2011 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 65, Issue 12, pages 3462–3474, December 2011
How to Cite
Duncan, A. B., Fellous, S. and Kaltz, O. (2011), REVERSE EVOLUTION: SELECTION AGAINST COSTLY RESISTANCE IN DISEASE-FREE MICROCOSM POPULATIONS OF PARAMECIUM CAUDATUM. Evolution, 65: 3462–3474. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2011.01388.x
- Issue online: 1 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 13 JUL 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 JUN 2011 04:28AM EST
- Received January 11, 2011, Accepted May 20, 2011, Data Archived: Dryad doi:10.5061/dryad.4kb77
- 2010. Experimental evolution of local parasite maladaptation. J. Evol. Biol. 23:1195–1205. , , and .
- 2002. Infection genetics: gene-for-gene versus matching-alleles models and all points in between. Evol. Ecol. Res. 4:79–90. , and .
- 1994. The cost of resistance and the maintenance of genetic polymorphism in host-pathogen systems. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 257:105–110. , and .
- 1994. The effect of genotype and the environment on costs of resistance in lettuce. Am. Nat. 143:349–359.
- 1996. Sex-specific costs of resistance to the fungal pathogen Ustilago violacea (Microbotryum violaceum) in Silene alba. Evolution 50:1098–1110. , and .
- 1993. Trade-offs with resistance to a granulovirus in the Indian meal moth examined by a laboratory evolution experiment. Funct. Ecol. 7:528–534. , and .
- 1999. The evolution of costly resistance in host-parasite systems. Am. Nat. 153:359–370. , and .
- 1994. Life-History trade-Offs and the evolution of pathogen resistance: competition between host strains. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 257:247–253. , , and .
- 2004. The effect of spatial heterogeneity and parasites on the evolution of host diversity. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271:107–111. , , and .
- 2003. A cost of disease resistance: paradigm or peculiarity? Trends Genet. 19:667–671.
- 2006. Antagonistic coevolution with parasites increases the cost of host deleterious mutations. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273:45–49. , , , , and .
- 2005. Genetics of anti-parasite resistance in invertebrates. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 29:9–32. , , and .
- 1977. A complex community in a simple habitat: an experimental study with bacteria and phage. Ecology 58:369–378. , , and .
- 2000. Resistance to xenobiotics and parasites: can we count the cost? Trends Ecol. Evol. 15:378–383. , , and .
- 1993. Anther-smut infection in Silene dioica: variation in floral morphology and patterns of spore deposition. Oikos 68:207–216. , , , and .
- 1998. Trade-off associated with selection for increased ability to resist parasitoid attack in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 265:1553–1558. , , and .
- Fujishima, M., ed. 2009a. Endosymbionts in Paramecium. Springer, Berlin .
- 2009b. Infection and maintenance of Holospora species in Paramecium caudatum. Pp. 201–226 in M. Fujishima, ed. Endosymbionts in Paramecium. Springer, Berlin . , ed.
- 1998. Repeated reversion of resistance to nucleopolyhedrovirus by Anticarsia gemmatalis. J.Invertebr. Pathol. 71:159–164. , and .
- 2009. Ecological conditions affect evolutionary trajectory in a predator-prey system. Evolution 63:641–651. , , and .
- 1975. Natural selection for resistance to epidemics. Ecology 56:493–495.
- 2005. Resistance is costly: trade-offs between immunity, fecundity and survival in the pea aphid. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 272:1803–1808. , , , , and .
- 2009. Differences in parasite susceptibility and costs of resistance between naturally exposed and unexposed host populations. J. Evol. Biol. 22:699–707. , , and .
- 2005. Evaluating the costs of mosquito resistance to malaria parasites. Evolution 59:2560–2572. , , , , and .
- 2003. Rapid evolution and the cost of resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis in greenhouse populations of cabbage loopers, Trichoplusia ni. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270:2263–2270. , and .
- 2008. The shape of an ecological trade-off varies with environment. Ecol. Lett. 11:947–959. , and .
- 2002. The experimental evolution of specialists, generalists and the maintenance of diversity. J. Evol. Biol. 15:173–190.
- 2006. No trade-off between learning ability and parasitold resistance in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Evol. Biol. 19:1359–1363. , , , and .
- 1997. Trade-off between parasitoid resistance and larval competitive ability in Drosophila melanogaster. Nature 389:278–280. , and .
- 2001. Basis of the trade-off between parasitoid resistance and larval competitive ability in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268:259–261. , , and .
- 2002. Costs of resistance in insect-parasite and insect-parasitoid interactions. Parasitology 125 Suppl:S71–S82. , , and .
- 2010. Successfully resisting a pathogen is rarely costly in Daphnia magna. BMC Evol. Biol. 10:355. , , and .
- 2009. Immunity in a variable world. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B 364:15–26. , and .
- 1988. Experimental studies of pleiotropy and epistasis in Escherichia coli. II. Compensation for maladaptive effects associated with resistance to virus T4. Evolution 42:433–440.
- 1985. Constraints on the coevolution of bacteria and virulent phage: a model, some experiments and predictions for natural communities. Am. Nat. 125:585–602. , and .
- 2006. Experimental evolution of resistance in Paramecium caudatum against the bacterial parasite Holospora undulata. Evolution 60:1177–1186. , , and .
- 2008. Increasing productivity accelerates host-parasite coevolution. J. Evol. Biol. 21:853–860. , and .
- 2007. Costs of resistance in the Drosophila-macrocheles system: a negative genetic correlation between ectoparasite resistance and reproduction. Evolution 61:1391–1402. , and .
- 1997. Experimental manipulation of putative selective agents provides evidence for the role of natural enemies in the evolution of plant defenses. Evolution 51:1435–1444. , and .
- 2010. Parallel Changes in host resistance to viral infection during 45,000 generations of relaxed selection. Evolution 64:3024–3034. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Costs and stability of cabbage looper resistance to a nucleopolyhedrovirus. Evol. Ecol. 16:369–385. , , and .
- 2009. Effects of antagonistic coevolution on parasite-mediated host coexistence. J. Evol. Biol. 22:287–292. , , and .
- 2007. Direct and correlated responses to selection in a host-parasite system: testing for the emergence of genotype specificity. Evolution 61:1803–1811. , and .
- 1992. Disease and plant population genetic structure. Pp. 345–362 in R. S. Fritz, and E. L. Simms, eds. Plant Resistance to Herbivores and Pathogens. Ecology, Evolution, and Genetics. University of Chicago Press, Chicago .
- 2005. Genes and environment interact to determine the fitness costs of resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 272:1519–1524. , , and .
- 2006. Condition-dependent virulence in a horizontally and vertically transmitted bacterial parasite. Oikos 114:148–158. , and .
- 2002. Why should parasite resistance be costly? Trends Parasitol. 18:116–120. , , and .
- SAS. 2009. JMP statistics and graphics guide (version 8). SAS Institute, Cary , NC .
- 2010. Multiple reciprocal adaptations and rapid genetic change upon experimental coevolution of an animal host and its microbial parasite. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 107:7359–7364. , , , , and .
- 2010. Compensation of fitness costs and reversibility of antibiotic resistance mutations. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 54:2085–2095. , , and .
- 1987. Costs and benefits of plant resistance to herbivory. Am. Nat. 130:570–581. , and .
- 1992. The evolution of life histories. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford .
- 2002. Direct and ecological costs of resistance to herbivory. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:278–285. , , , and .
- 1994. Reversal of resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis in Plutella xylostella. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 91:4120–4124. , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Variation in the reversibility of evolution. Nature 408:463–466. , and .
- 2001. Perspective: reverse evolution. Evolution 55:653–660. , and .
- 2003. Fitness costs of R-gene-mediated resistance in Arabidopsis thaliana. Nature 423:74–77. , , , , and .
- 2009. Experimental evolution shows Drosophila melanogaster resistance to a microsporidian pathogen has fitness costs. Evolution 63:104–114. , , and .
- 1999. Cost of resistance: relationship between reduced fertility and increased resistance in a Schistosoma host-parasite system. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266:391–396. , and .
- 1986. The biology of Paramecium. Plenum Press, New York .
- 2009. Effective but costly, evolved mechanisms of defense against a virulent opportunistic pathogen in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Pathog. 5:e1000385. , , and .
- 2008. Experimental evolution of field populations of Daphnia magna in response to parasite treatment. J. Evol. Biol. 21:1068–1078. , , and .