PLOIDALLY ANTAGONISTIC SELECTION MAINTAINS STABLE GENETIC POLYMORPHISM
Version of Record online: 25 JUL 2011
© 2011 The Author(s). Evolution © 2011 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 66, Issue 1, pages 55–65, January 2012
How to Cite
Immler, S., Arnqvist, G. and Otto, S. P. (2012), PLOIDALLY ANTAGONISTIC SELECTION MAINTAINS STABLE GENETIC POLYMORPHISM. Evolution, 66: 55–65. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2011.01399.x
- Issue online: 3 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 25 JUL 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 JUL 2011 04:18PM EST
- Received September 21, 2010, Accepted June 13, 2011
- 2005. Sexual conflict. Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ . , and .
- 2008. Post-meiotic transcription in Drosophila testes. Development 135:1897–1902. , , , , and .
- 2002. Understanding quantitative genetic variation. Nat. Rev. Genet. 3:11–21. , and .
- 2003. Transcriptional profiling of Arabidopsis tissues reveals the unique characteristics of the pollen transcriptome. Plant Physiol. 133:713–725. , , , , and .
- 2009. Male gametophyte development: a molecular perspective. J. Exp. Bot. 60:1465–1478. , , and .
- 2002. Plant sex determination and sex chromosomes. Heredity 88:94–101.
- 1999. SlY1, the first active gene cloned from a plant Ychromosome, encodes a WD-protein. EMBO J. 18:4169–4179. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. The genomic architecture of sexual dimorphism in the dioecious plant Silene latifolia. Evolution 64:2873–2886. , , , and .
- 1955. Maintenance of genetic heterogeneity. Cold Spring Harb. Symp. Quant. Biol. 20:25–32.
- 2006. Spermatogenesis and sex chromosome gene content: an evolutionary perspective. Human Fertil. 9:1–7. , and .
- 1977. Selection at the haploid and diploid phases: cyclical variation. Genetics 87:195–208.
- 1996. Introduction to quantitative genetics. Longman, Harlow . , and .
- 2008. Centromere-associated female meiotic drive entails male fitness costs in monkeyflowers. Science 322:1559–1562. , and .
- 2001. Pollen genotype selection for a simply inherited qualitative factor determining resistance to chlorsulfuron in maize. Theor. Appl. Genet. 102:342–346. , and .
- 1994. Haplo-diploid gene expression and pollen selection for tolerance to acetochlor in maize. Theor. Appl. Genet. 88:780–784. , , and .
- 2010. The genomic location of sexually antagonistic variation: some cautionary comments. Evolution 64:1510–1516.
- 1984. Pleiotropic overdominance and the maintenance of genetic variation in polygenic characters. Genetics 107:321–330.
- 1995. The origin and function of the mammalian Y chromosome and Y-borne genes—an evolving understanding. BioEssays 17:311–321.
- 1982. Selection in diplo-haplonts. Theor. Pop. Biol. 21:289–300.
- 1975. Models for gamete competition and self fertilization as components of natural selection in populations of higher plants. Pp. 243–255 in D. Mulcahy, ed. Gamete competition in plants and animals. Elsevier, New York .
- 1982. Rates of change in quantitative traits from fixation of new mutations. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 79:142–145.
- 1992. Pollen selection. Theor. Appl. Genet. 83:663–672. , and .
- 1999. Ecology and the evolution of biphasic life cycles. Am. Nat. 154:306–320. , and .
- 2010. The sexually antagonistic genes of Drosophila melanogaster. Public Libr. Sci. Biol. 8:e1000335. , and .
- 2008. Plant sex chromosomes: molecular structure and function. Cytogenet. Genome Res. 120:255–264. , , and .
- 2004. Haploid selection in animals. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19:592–597. , and .
- 2001. Localization of male-specifically expressed MROS genes of Silene latifolia by PCR on flow-sorted sex chromosomes and autosomes. Genetics 158:1269–1277. , , , , , , and .
- 1977. Regions of stable equilibria for models of differential selection in the two sexes under random mating. Genetics 85:171–183. , , , and .
- 2005. Paternal contribution: new insights and future challenges. Nat. Rev. Genet. 6:633–642.
- 2007. Pollen donor identity affects timing of stigma receptivity in Collinsia heterophylla (Plantaginaceae): a sexual conflict during pollen competition? Am. Nat. 170:854–863. , and .
- 1953. Genetic equilibrium when more than one ecological niche is available. Am. Nat. 87:331–333.
- 1972. The role of X chromosome inactivation during spermatogenesis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 69:182–186. , and .
- 1998. The evolution of life cycles with haploid and diploid phases. BioEssays 20:453–462. , and .
- 2010. Mutations and quantitative genetic variation: lessons from Drosophila. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B. 365:1229–1239.
- 2006. Evolution of alternative sex-determining mechanisms in teleost fishes. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 87:83–93. , , and .
- 2008. Evidence for degeneration of the Y chromosome in the dioecious plant Silene latifolia. Curr. Biol. 18:545–549. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Spam1-associated transmission ratio distortion in mice: elucidating the mechanism. Reprod. Biol. Endocrinol. 3:32. , , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Selective mortaility on haploid and diploid microscopic stages of Lessonia nigrescens Bory (Phaeophyta, Laminariales). J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 229:219–239. , and .
- 1990. Gene activity during pollen development. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol. 41:317–338.
- 1996. Isolation and developmental expression of male reproductive organ-specific genes in a dioecious campion, Melandrium album (Silene latifolia). Plant J. 10:679–689. , , , , , and .
- 1997. MROS1, a male stamen-specific gene in the dioecious campion Sliene latifolia is expressed in mature pollen. Plant Cell Physiol. 38:499–502. , , and .
- 1979. Sexual selection and sexual conflict. Pp. 123–166 in M. Blum, and N. Blum, eds. Sexual selection and reproductive competition in insects. Blackwell Scientific, Oxford .
- 1990. Sex-chromosome and sex differentiation in flowering plants. Chromosomes Today 10:187–198.
- 2009. X Chromosome: expression and escape. PLoS Genet. 5:e1000724.
- 1984. Sex chromosomes and the evolution of sexual dimorphism. Evolution 38:735–742.
- 1975. Origin of the alternation of generations in plants: reconsideration of the traditional theories. Biologist 57:1–13.
- 1989. Herbicide-tolerant corn by pollen selection. Sex Plant Reprod. 2:65–69. , , , and .
- 1967. Selection on both haplo and diplophase. Genetics 56:693–704.
- 1985a. Pollen selection and the gametophytic expression of metal tolerance in Silene dioica (Caryophyllaceae) and Mimulus guttatus (Scrophulariaceae). Am. J. Bot. 72:1700–1702. , and .
- 1985b. Pollen tube competition and selection for metal tolerance in Silene dioica (Caryophyllaceae) and Mimulus guttatus (Scrophulariaceae). Am. J. Bot. 72:1695–1699. , and .
- 1894. The periodic reduction of the number of the chromosomes in the life-history of living organisms. Ann. Bot. 8:281–316.
- 1979. Haploid selection with n alleles in m niches. Am. Nat. 113:439–444.
- 2001. Trade-offs between male and female reproduction associated with allozyme variation in phosphoglucoisomerase in an annual plant (Clarkia unguiculata: Onagraceae). Evolution 55:2421–2428. , and .
- 1972. Parental investment and sexual selection. Pp. 136–179 in B. Campbell, ed. Sexual selection and the descent of man 1871–1971. Aldine-Atherton, Chicago .
- 2007. Frequency-dependent selection and the maintenance of genetic variation: exploring the parameter space of the mutliallelic pairwise interaction model. Genetics 176:1729–1740. , and .
- 1992. Evolution of alternation of haploid and diploid phases in life cycles. Trends Ecol. Evol. 7:25–29. , , , and .
- 2004. How mammalian sex chromosomes acquired their peculiar gene content. BioEssays 26:159–169. , and .
- 2008. Sex and life-history stage alter herbivore response to a chemically defended red alga. Ecology 89:1334–1343. , , and .
- 2010. Direct evidence for postmeiotic transcription during Drosophila melanogaster spermatogenesis. Genetics 186:431–433. , , , , and .
- 2006. Evolution on the X chromosome: unusual patterns and processes. Nat. Rev. Genet. 7:645–653. , and .
- 2010. Genome-scale analysis and comparison of gene expression profiles in developing and germinated pollen in Oryza sativa. BMC Genomics 11:338. , , , , , and .
- 2009. One- and two-locus population models with differential viability between sexes: parallels between haploid parental selection and genomic imprinting. Genetics 182:1117–1127.
- 1982. Haploid selection for low temperature tolerance of tomato pollen. Genetics 101:129–137. , , and .
- 1983. Temperature effects on haploid selection of tomato microscopres and pollen grains. Pp. 335–342 in D. Mulcahy, and E. Ottaviano, eds. Pollen: biology and implications for plant breeding. Elsevier, New York . , and .
- 2001. Lack of sharing of Spam1 (Ph-20) among mouse spermatids and transmission ratio distortion. Biol. Reprod. 64:1730–1738. , , and .