MATING UNPLUGGED: A MODEL FOR THE EVOLUTION OF MATING PLUG (DIS-)PLACEMENT
Version of Record online: 7 AUG 2011
© 2011 The Author(s). Evolution © 2011 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 66, Issue 1, pages 31–39, January 2012
How to Cite
Fromhage, L. (2012), MATING UNPLUGGED: A MODEL FOR THE EVOLUTION OF MATING PLUG (DIS-)PLACEMENT. Evolution, 66: 31–39. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2011.01406.x
- Issue online: 3 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 7 AUG 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 13 JUL 2011 07:27PM EST
- Received September 24, 2010, Accepted July 1, 2011
- 2009. Female cooperation in plug formation in a spider: effects of male copulatory courtship. Behav. Ecol. 20:1236–1241. , and .
- 2010. Male fecundity stimulation: conflict and cooperation within and between the sexes: model analyses and coevolutionary dynamics. Am. Nat. 175:174–185. , and .
- 2000. Sexual cooperation and conflict in butterflies: a male-transferred anti-aphrodisiac reduces harassment of recently mated females. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267:1271–1275. , , and .
- 1994. Sexual selection. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ .
- 2005. Sexual conflict. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ . , and .
- 2001. A nonspecific fatty acid within the bumblebee mating plug prevents females from remating. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 98:3926–3928. , , and .
- 1998. Sperm competition and sexual selection. Academic Press, San Diego , CA . , and .
- 1979. Sexual selection and the evolution of mating systems. Pp. 19–80 in M. S. Blum, and N. A. Blum, eds. Sexual selection and reproductive competition in insects. Academic Press, New York .
- 2007. Sperm competition and the evolution of ejaculate composition. Am. Nat. 169:E158–E172. , , and .
- 2003. The sex peptide of Drosophila melanogaster: female post-mating responses analyzed by using RNA interference. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 100:9923–9928. , , , , , , , and .
- 1984. Multiple mating and sperm competition in the Lepidoptera. Pp. 291–370 in R. L. Smith, ed. Sperm competition and the evolution of animal mating systems. Academic Press, New York .
- 1996. Female Control: sexual selection by cryptic female choice. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ .
- 1930. The genetical theory of natural selection. Clarendon, Oxford .
- 2007. Stability and value of male care for offspring—is it worth only half the trouble? Biol. Lett. 3:234–236. , , and .
- 2008. Sperm allocation strategies and female resistance: a unifying perspective. Am. Nat. 172:25–33. , , and .
- 2006. Emasculation to plug up females: the significance of pedipalp damage in Nephila fenestrata. Behav. Ecol. 17:353–357. , and .
- 1998. Sperm competition in mammals. Pp. 667–752 in A. P. Moller, and T. R. Birkhead, eds. Sperm competition and sexual selection. Academic Press, San Diego , CA . , , and .
- 1987. The logic of divisively asymmetric contests: respect for ownership and the desperado effect. Anim. Behav. 35:462–467.
- 1991. Trade-off between mate guarding and mate attraction in the polygynous great reed warbler. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 28:187–193. , and .
- 2009. Monogamy and the battle of the sexes. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 54:361–378. , , , and .
- 2005. John Maynard Smith and the importance of consistency in evolutionary game theory. Biol. Philos. 20:933–950. , and .
- 1995. The retrolateral tibial apophysis in spiders—shaped by sexual selection? Zool. J. Linn. Soc. 113:151–163.
- 1998. Mating in Theridion varians Hahn and related species (Araneae: Theridiidae). J. Nat. Hist. 32:545–604.
- 2006. From hawks and doves to self-consistent games of territorial behavior. Am. Nat. 167:901–912. , , and .
- 1992. Removal of copulatory plugs by female tree squirrels. J. Mammal. 73:572–576.
- 2009. Intersexual arms race? Genital coevolution in nephilid spiders (Araneae, Nephilidae). Evolution 63:1451–1463. , , and .
- 2000. Body size and paternity in a teiid lizard (Ameiva exsul). J. Herpetol. 34:110–120. , , and .
- 1993. Copulation duration and sperm precedence in the stalk-eyed fly Cyrtodiopsis whitei (Diptera, Diopsidae). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 32:303–311. , , and .
- 1993. The effect of the copulatory plug in the funnel-web spider, Agelena limbata (Araneae: Agelenidae). J. Arachnol. 21:55–59.
- 1992. Effectiveness of the mating plug in Atrophaneura alcinous (Lepidoptera, Papilionidae). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 30:157–163. , and .
- 1982. Evolution and the theory of games. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge , UK . .
- 2010. Live for the moment—adaptations in the male genital system of a sexually cannibalistic spider (Theridiidae, Araneae). Tissue Cell 42:32–36. , , , and .
- 1995. The evolution of the sphragis in the Papilionidae and other butterflies. Pp. 155–164 in J. M. Scriber, Y. Tsubaki, and R. C. Lederhouse, eds. Swallowtail butterflies: their ecology and evolutionary biology. Scientific Publishers, Gainseville , FL .
- 1970. Sperm competition and its evolutionary consequences in the insects. Biol. Rev. 45:525–567.
- 1979. Sexual selection and sexual conflict. Pp. 123–166 in M. Blum, and N. Blum, eds. Sexual selection and reproductive competition in insects. Academic Press, London .
- 1983. Arms races in evolution—an ESS to the opponent-independent costs game. J. Theor. Biol. 101:619–648.
- 1984. Sperm competition and the evolution of animal mating strategies. Pp. 1–60 in R. L. Smith, ed. Sperm competition and the evolution of animal mating systems. Academic Press, San Diego , CA . .
- 1998. Sperm competition and the evolution of ejaculates: towards a theory base. Pp. 3–54 in T. R. Birkhead, and A. P. Moller, eds. Sperm competition and sexual selection. Academic Press, San Diego , CA .
- 2005. Sperm competition, mating rate and the evolution of testis and ejaculate sizes: a population model. Biol. Lett. 1:235–238. , and .
- 1997. Sperm competition games: a prospective analysis of risk assessment. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 264:1793–1802. , , , and .
- 2001. Function of the mating plug in Drosophila hibisci Bock. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 49:196–205. , , , and .
- 1997. Why do females care more than males? Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 264:1555–1557.
- 2005. Sperm competition and the evolution of male reproductive anatomy in rodents. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 272:949–955. , , and .
- 2001. Males of social insects can prevent queens from multiple mating. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268:1449–1454. , , , and .
- 2008. Male copulation frequency, sperm competition and genital damage in the golden orb-web spider (Nephila plumipes). Aust. J. Zool. 56:233–238. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Male mate guarding in a socially monogamous mammal, the round-eared sengi: on costs and trade-offs. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 64:257–264. , , , , and .
- 1997. Body size and agonistic experience affect dominance and mating success in male copperheads. Anim. Behav. 54:213–224.
- 2001. Sperm competition and its evolutionary consequences in the insects. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ .
- 2010. The function of copulatory plugs in Caenorhabditis remanei: hints for female benefits. Front. Zool. 7:28. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Securing paternity in spiders? A review on occurrence and effects of mating plugs and male genital mutilation. Genetica 138:75–104. , , and .
- 1999. Multiple patterns of parental care. Anim. Behav. 58:983–993. , , , and .
- 2011. A game theoretical analysis of the mating sign behavior in the honey bee. Bull. Math. Biol. 73:626–638. , , , and .
- 1994. The function of the mating sign in honey-bees, Apis mellifera L—new evidence. Anim. Behav. 47:733–735. , , and .
- 2003. Toward a new sexual selection paradigm: polyandry, conflict and incompatibility. Ethology 109:929–950. , and .