CONVERGENT EVOLUTION OF PHENOTYPIC INTEGRATION AND ITS ALIGNMENT WITH MORPHOLOGICAL DIVERSIFICATION IN CARIBBEAN ANOLIS ECOMORPHS
Version of Record online: 18 AUG 2011
No Claim to original U.S. government works.
Volume 65, Issue 12, pages 3608–3624, December 2011
How to Cite
Kolbe, J. J., Revell, L. J., Szekely, B., Brodie III, E. D. and Losos, J. B. (2011), CONVERGENT EVOLUTION OF PHENOTYPIC INTEGRATION AND ITS ALIGNMENT WITH MORPHOLOGICAL DIVERSIFICATION IN CARIBBEAN ANOLIS ECOMORPHS. Evolution, 65: 3608–3624. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2011.01416.x
- Issue online: 1 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 18 AUG 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 22 JUL 2011 02:19AM EST
- Received March 19, 2010, Accepted June 22, 2011, Data Archived: Dryad doi:10.5061/dryad.1d24c
- 2000. Phenotypic covariance structure in Tamarins (Genus Saguinus): a comparison of variation patterns using matrix correlation and common principal component analysis. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol. 111:489–501. , and .
- 2001. Possible consequences of genes of major effect: transient changes in the G-matrix. Genetica 112:33–43. , , and .
- 1973. Information theory and an extension of the maximum-likelihoodprinciple. Pp. 267–281 in B.N. Petrov, and F. Csaki, eds. Second international symposium of information theory. Akademiai Kiado, Budapest, Hungary .
- 1992. Constraints of phenotypic evolution. Am. Nat. 140:S85–S107.
- 2001. The adaptive landscape as a conceptual bridge between micro- and macroevolution. Genetica 112–113:9–32. , , and .
- 2008. Understanding the evolution and stability of the G-matrix. Evolution 62:2451–2461. , , , , and .
- 2003. Phylogenetic analysis of correlation structure in stalk-eyed flies (Diasemopsis diopsidae). Evolution 57:87–103. , and .
- 2003. The constancy of the G matrix through divergence and the effects of quantitative genetic constraints on phenotypic evolution: a case study in crickets. Evolution 57:1107–1120. , and .
- 2004. From micro- to macroevolution through quantitative genetic variation: positive evidence from field crickets. Evolution 58:2287–2304. , and .
- 1996. The importance of evolutionary constraints in ecological time scales. Evol. Ecol. 10:423–431.
- 2004. Constancy of the G matrix in ecological time. Evolution 58:1157–1164.
- 2003. Genetic constraints on the evolution of mate recognition under natural selection. Am. Nat. 161:240–253. , and .
- 2004. Orientation of the genetic variance-covariance matrix and the fitness surface for multiple male sexually selected traits. Am. Nat. 163:329–340. , , and .
- 1992. Correlational selection for color pattern and antipredator behavior in the garter snake Thamnophis ordinoides. Evolution 46:1284–1298. .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. Springer, New York, NY . , and .
- 2002. Multivariate sexual dimorphism, sexual selection, and adaptation in Greater Antillean Anolis lizards. Ecol. Monogr. 72:541–559. , and .
- 2007. The quick and the dead: correlational selection on morphology, performance, and habitat use in island lizards. Evolution 61:2493–2503. , and .
- 2007. Probing the adaptive landscape using experimental islands: density-dependent natural selection on lizard body size. Evolution 61:1052–1061. , and .
- 2008. Experimentally replicated disruptive selection on performance traits in a Caribbean lizard. Evolution 62:478–484. , and .
- 1999. Morphological integration: forty years later. Pp. 319–353 in E. C. Olson and R. L. Miller, eds. Morphological integration. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago , IL . , and .
- 1984. Quantitative genetics and developmental constraints on evolution by selection. J. Theor. Biol. 110:155–171.
- 1988. A comparison of genetic and phenotypic correlations. Evolution 42:958–968.
- 1995. Morphological integration in the saddle-back tamarin (Saguinus fuscicollis) cranium. Am. Nat. 145:63–89.
- 1996. Quantitative genetic analysis of cranial morphology in the cotton-top (Saguinus oedipus) and saddle-back (S. fuscicollis) tamarins. J. Evol. Biol. 9:5–42.
- 2007. Comparing covariance matrices: random skewers method compared to the common principal components model. Genet. Mol. Biol. 30:461–469. , and .
- 1983. Quantitative genetics of development: genetic correlations among age-specific trait values and the evolution of ontogeny. Evolution 37:895–905. , , and .
- 1983. Permutation tests for association between two distance matrices. Syst. Zool. 32:21–26.
- 2009. Patterns of phenotypic divergence in wing covariance structure of caloterygid damselflies. Evol. Biol. 36:214–224. , , , , and .
- 1967. The meaning of the relationship and taxonomic procedure. Syst. Zool. 16:44–51.
- 1985. Phylogenies and the comparative method. Am. Nat. 125:1–15.
- 1987. A hierarchy of relationships between covariance matrices. Pp. 31–43 in A. K. Gupta, ed. Advances in multivariate models. Wiley, New York , NY .
- 1989. Morphological evolution of the amphipod Gammarus minus in caves: quantitative genetic analysis. Am. Mid. Nat. 121:361–378.
- 2006. The stability of P in coral reef fishes. Evolution 60:814–823. , and .
- 2003. Phylogenetic analysis of ecological and morphological diversification in Hispaniolan trunk-ground anoles (Anolis cybotes group). Evolution 57:2383–2397. , , , , and .
- 2007. Testing the phenotypic gambit: phenotypic, genetic and environmental correlations of colour. J. Evol. Biol. 20:549–557. , , , and .
- 2005. Convergence and the multidimensional niche. Evolution 59:409–421. , , , and .
- 2008. MIPoD: a hypothesis-testing framework for microevolutionary inference from patterns of divergence. Am. Nat. 171:366–385. , and .
- 1999. Do lizards avoid habitats in which performance is submaximal? The relationship between sprinting capabilities and structural habitat use in Caribbean anoles. Am. Nat. 154:293–205. , and .
- JMP, Version 8.0.2. 2009. SAS Institute Inc., Cary , NC .
- 2007. Behavioral ecology of Caribbean Anolis lizards: a comparative approach., Ph.D. Dissertation, Washington University in St. Louis.
- 2003. Stability of the G-matrix in a population experiencing pleiotropic mutation, stabilizing selection, and genetic drift. Evolution 57:1747–1760. , , and .
- 2004. Evolution and stability of the G-matrix on a landscape with a moving optimum. Evolution 58:1639–1654. , , and .
- 2007. The mutation matrix and the evolution of evolvability. Evolution 61:727–745. , , and .
- 2010. Behavioral convergence and adaptive radiation: effects of habitat use on territorial behavior in Anolis lizards. Evolution 64:1151–1159. , , and .
- 2004. Genetic variation increases during biological invasion by a Cuban lizard. Nature 431:177–181. , , , , , and
- 2007. Differential admixture shapes morphological variation among invasive populations of the lizard Anolis sagrei. Mol. Ecol. 16:1579–1591. , , and .
- 1979. Quantitative genetic analysis of multivariate evolution, applied to brain: body size allometry. Evolution 33:402–416.
- 1980a. Sexual dimorphism, sexual selection, and adaptation in polygenic characters. Evolution 34:292–305.
- 1980b. The genetic covariance between characters maintained by pleiotropic mutations. Genetics 94:203–215.
- 1984. The genetic correlation between characters maintained by selection, linkage, and inbreeding. Genet. Res. 44:309–320.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37:1210–1226. , and .
- 2006. Shared and unique features of diversification in Greater Antillean Anolis ecomorphs. Evolution 60:362–369. , , and .
- 1990. Ecomorphology, performance capability, and scaling of West Indian Anolis lizards: an evolutionary analysis. Ecol. Monogr. 60:369–388.
- 2009. Lizards in an evolutionary tree: ecology and adaptive radiation of anoles. Univ. of California Press, Berkeley , CA.
- 1989. The effects of morphology and perch diameter on sprint performance of Anolis lizards. J. Exp. Biol. 145:23–30. , and .
- 2004. Predator-induced behaviour shifts and natural selection in field-experimental lizard populations. Nature 432:505–508. , , and .
- 2006. Rapid temporal reversal in predator-driven natural selection. Science 314:111. , , , and .
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sinauer , Sunderland , MA . , and .
- 2010. Ecological opportunity and the rate of morphological evolution in the diversification of Greater Antillean anoles. Evolution 64:2731–2745. , , , and .
- 2005. Multivariate statistical methods: a primer. Chapman & Hall, New York , NY .
- 1967. The detection of disease clustering and a generalized regression approach. Cancer Res. 27:209–220.
- 2001. A comparison of phenotypic variation and covariation patterns and the role of phylogeny, ecology, and ontogeny during cranial evolution of New World monkeys. Evolution 55:2576–2600. , and .
- 2004. Did natural selection or genetic drift produce the cranial diversification of neotropical monkeys? Am. Nat. 163:417–428. , and .
- 2004. Cranial evolution in sakis (Pithecia, Platyrrhini) II: evolutionary processes and morphological integration. J. Evol. Biol. 17:144–155. , , and .
- 2001. Hindlimb asymmetry reduces escape performance in the lizard Psammodromus algirus. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 74:619–624. , and .
- 2004. Resource use in arboreal habitats: structure affects locomotion of four ecomorphs of Anolis lizards. Ecology 85:1111–1124. , and .
- 2005. Correlational selection leads to genetic integration of body size and an attractive plumage trait in dark-eyed juncos. Evolution 59:658–671. , , , and .
- 2006. Studying phenotypic evolution using multivariate quantitative genetics. Mol. Ecol. 15:883–896.
- 1993. MorphoSys: an interactive machine vision program for the acquisition of morphometric data. Pp. 393–402 in R. Fortuner, ed. Advances in computer methods for systematic biology: artificial intelligence, databases, computer vision. Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, Baltimore , MD .
- 1999. Population divergence and morphometric integration in the green-finch (Carduelis chloris) – evolution against the trajectory of least resistance. J. Evol. Biol. 12:103–112. , and .
- 2004. Phenotypic integration as a constraint and adaptation, Pp. 107–129 in M. Pigliucci and K. Preston, eds. Phenotypic integration: studying the ecology and evolution of complex phenotypes. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, UK . , and .
- 2005. Mainland colonization by island lizards. J. Biogeogr. 32:929–938. , , , , , and .
- 1958. Morphological integration. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago , IL . , and .
- 1999. Hierarchical comparison of genetic variance-covariance matrices. I. Using the Flury hierarchy. Evolution 53:1506–1515. and .
- 2001. Inbreeding changes the shape of the genetic covariance matrix in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 158:1137–1145. , , and .
- 2007a. The G matrix under fluctuating correlational mutation and selection. Evolution 61:1857–1872.
- 2007b. Testing the genetic constraint hypothesis in a phylogenetic context: a simulation study. Evolution 61:2720–2727.
- 2008. Testing quantitative genetic hypotheses about the evolutionary rate matrix for continuous characters. Evol. Ecol. Res. 10:311–321. , and .
- 2007. A phylogenetic approach to determining the importance of constraint on phenotypic evolution in the neotropical lizard Anolis cristatellus. Evol. Ecol. Res. 9:261–282. , , , and .
- 2010. Nonlinear selection and the evolution of variances and covariances for continuous characters in an anole. J. Evol. Biol. 23:407–421. , , , , , and .
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43:223–225.
- 1995. The estimation of genetic correlations from phenotypic correlations: a test of Cheverud's conjecture. Heredity 74:481–490.
- 1997. Evolutionary quantitative genetics. Chapman and Hall, New York , NY .
- 2002. Comparing G matrices: a MANOVA approach. Evolution 56:1286–1291.
- 1996. Adaptive radiation along genetic lines of least resistance. Evolution 50:1766–1774.
- 2000. The ecology of adaptive radiation. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , UK .
- 2004. The effects of surface diameter and incline on the hindlimb kinematics of an arboreal lizard (Anolis sagrei). J. Exp. Biol. 207:2115–2131. , and .
- 1997. Phylogenetic analysis of phenotypic covariance structure I. Contrasting results from matrix correlation and common principal component analysis. Evolution 51:571–586.
- 2002. Comparative quantitative genetics: evolution of the G matrix. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:320–327. , , and .
- 1988. The joint effects of selection and assortative mating on multiple polygenic characters. Theor. Appl. Genet. 75: 278–281. , and .
- 2005. Common garden and natural selection experiments support ecotypic differentiation in the Dominican anole (Anolis oculatus). Am. Nat. 165:495–504. , , and .
- 1988. Phenotypic evolution, constant covariances, and the maintenance of additive variance. Evolution 42:1342–1347.
- 1972. The origin of faunas. Evolution of lizard congeners in a complex island fauna: a trial analysis. Evol. Biol. 6:47–89.
- 1983. Ecomorphs, faunas, island size, and diverse end points in island radiations of Anolis. Pp. 326–370 in R. B. Huey, E. R. Pianka, and T. W. Schoener, eds. Lizard ecology: studies of a model organism. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge , MA .
- 1991. Can one predict the evolution of quantitative characters without genetics? Evolution 45:441–444. , , and .