SPECIFIC INTERACTIONS BETWEEN HOST AND PARASITE GENOTYPES DO NOT ACT AS A CONSTRAINT ON THE EVOLUTION OF ANTIVIRAL RESISTANCE IN DROSOPHILA
Version of Record online: 16 DEC 2011
© 2011 The Author(s). Evolution© 2011 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 66, Issue 4, pages 1114–1125, April 2012
How to Cite
Carpenter, J. A., Hadfield, J. D., Bangham, J. and Jiggins, F. M. (2012), SPECIFIC INTERACTIONS BETWEEN HOST AND PARASITE GENOTYPES DO NOT ACT AS A CONSTRAINT ON THE EVOLUTION OF ANTIVIRAL RESISTANCE IN DROSOPHILA. Evolution, 66: 1114–1125. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2011.01501.x
- Issue online: 6 APR 2012
- Version of Record online: 16 DEC 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 31 OCT 2011 12:37PM EST
- Received August 20, 2010 Accepted September 27, 2011
- 2007. The age and evolution of an antiviral resistance mutation in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 274: 2027–2034. , , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic variation affecting host-parasite interactions: different genes affect different aspects of sigma virus replication and transmission in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 178: 2191–2199. , , , and
- 2004. The BDGP gene disruption project: single transposon insertions associated with 40% of Drosophila genes. Genetics 167: 761–781. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. The effect of inbreeding on defence against multiple enemies in Datura stramonium. J. Evol. Biol. 24: 518–530. , and
- 2005. A reassessment of genetic limits to evolutionary change. Ecology 86: 1371–1384. , and
- 1993. Trade offs with resistance to a granulosis-virus in the indian meal moth, examined by a laboratory evolution experiment. Funct. Ecol. 7: 528–534. , and
- 1980. The viruses of Drosophila. 2nd ed, pp. 625–702. in Ashburner, M. and Wright, T., eds. The genetics and biology of Drosophila. Academic Press, London . , and
- 2007. The recent spread of a vertically transmitted virus through populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Mol. Ecol. 16: 3947–3954. , , , and
- 1984. The evolutionary genetics of life-histories. pp. 117–133. in Shorrocks, B., ed. Evolutionary ecology. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, U.K.
- 1989. Genetic resistance to viral infection: the molecular cloning of a Drosophila gene that restricts infection by the rhabdovirus sigma. Genetics 123:525–533. , , and
- 2004. Costs of resistance: genetic correlations and potential trade offs in an insect immune system. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 421–429. , , and
- 1955. Genetic slippage in response to selection for multiple objectives. Cold Spring Harb. Symp. Quant. Biol. 20: 213–224. .
- 1993. Unusual variability of the Drosophila melanogaster ref(2)P protein which controls the multiplication of sigma rhabdovirus. Genetics 133: 943–954. , , , , , , , and
- 2008. Hybrid fitness in a locally adapted parasite. Am. Nat. 172:772–782. , , , , and
- 1996. Introduction to quantitative genetics. Longman Group, Harlow, Essex, UK. , and
- 1981a. Comparison of various physiological traits in flies (Drosophila melanogaster) of wild origin, infected or uninfected by the hereditary rhabdovirus sigma. Arch. Virol. 69:261–272.
- 1981b. Effect of overwintering on the frequency of flies infected by the rhabdovirus sigma in experimental populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Arch. Virol. 69:253–260.
- 1988. Maintenance of a hereditary virus—the sigma-virus in populations of its host, Drosophila melanogaster. Evol. Biol. 23:1–30.
- 1990. Evolution of natural-populations in the Drosophila melanogaster sigma system .2. Northern And Central France. Genetica 81:33–41.
- 1992. Evolution of the Drosophila melanogaster sigma virus system in a natural-population from Tubingen. Theor. Appl. Genet. 85:186–189. , and
- 1999. Effect of genetic selection and MHC haplotypes on lymphocyte proliferation and interleukin-2 like activity in chicken lines selected for high and low antibody production against sheep red blood cells. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 68:13–24. , , , , and
- 2006. Prior distributions for variance parameters in hierarchical models. Bayesian Anal. 1:515–533.
- 2003. Effects of inbreeding on immune response and body size in a social insect, Bombus terrestris. Funct. Ecol. 17:582–589. , , and
- 2000. Induction of T helper 1-and T helper 2-type immune responses during Haemonchus contortus infection in sheep. Immunology 99:458–463. , , , and
- 1994. Fitness costs of resistance to Bacillus-thuringiensis in the Diamondback moth (Plutella xylostella). Evolution 48:197–201. , , and
- 1980. Production and persistence of antibodies in chickens to sheep erythrocytes. 2. Resistance to infectious-diseases. Poult. Sci. 59:205–210. , , , , and
- 2010. MCMC methods for multi–response generalised linear mixed models: the MCMCglmm R package. J. Stat. Softw. 33:1–22.
- 2004. Transcriptional regulatory code of a eukaryotic genome. Nature 431:99–104. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1978. Probablilities of non-positive definite between-group or genetic covariance matrices. Biometrics 34:429–439. , and
- 2001. Sex and death: microevolutionary trade offs between reproductive and immune investment in dung flies. Current Biology 11:R379–R380.
- 1999. Parasites and tradeoffs in the immune response of female red jungle fowl. Oikos 86:487–492. , and
- 1997. Trade off between parasitoid resistance and larval competitive ability in Drosophila melanogaster. Nature 389:278–280. , and
- 1979. Quantitative genetic analysis of multivariate evolution, applied to brain: body size allomtry. Evolution 33:402–416.
- 2004. Genetic basis of natural variation in D. melanogaster antibacterial immunity. Science 303:1873–1876. , , and
- 2001. Hierarchical generalised linear models: a synthesis of generalised linear models, random-effect models and structured dispersions. Biometika 88:987–1006. , and
- 2004. Epistasis and the temporal change in the additive variance-covariance matrix induced by drift. Evolution 58:1655–1663. , , and
- 2007. Host inbreeding increases susceptibility to ectoparasitism. J. Evol. Biol. 20:79–86. , , and
- 2006. Studying phenotypic evolution using multivariate quantitative genetics. Mol. Ecol. 15:883–896.
- 2010. Repeatability for Gaussian and non-Gaussian data: a pratical guide for biologists. Biol. Rev. 85:935–956. , and
- 1952. The effect of inbreeding on the variation due to recessive genes. Genetics 37:188–207.
- 1966. Low titers in Drosophila that regularly transmit the sigma virus infection. Genetics 53:79–83.
- 1980. Production and persistence of antibodies in chickens to sheep erythrocytes .1. Directional selection. Poul. Sci. 59:1–5. , and
- 1996. Molecular population genetics of ref(2)P, a locus which confers viral resistance in Drosophila. Mol. Biol. Evol. 13:191–199. , , and
- 1999. Cost of resistance: relationship between reduced fertility and increased resistance in a snail-schistosome host-parasite system. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266:391–396. , and
- 1999. The changes in genetic and environmental variance with inbreeding in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 152:345–353. , and
- 2010. Host-parasite coevolution: genetic variation in a virus population and the interaction with a host gene. J. Evol. Biol. 23:1447–1455. , and
- 2002. Population biology of emerging and re-emerging pathogens. Trends Microbiol. 10:3–7.
- 1999. Rapid accumulation of a vertically transmitted parasite triggered by relaxation of natural selection among hosts. Evol. Ecol. Res. 1:581–589. , , , and