SCIENCE, RELIGION, AND SOCIETY: THE PROBLEM OF EVOLUTION IN AMERICA
Version of Record online: 17 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Author(s). Evolution© 2012 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 66, Issue 8, pages 2654–2663, August 2012
How to Cite
Coyne, J. A. (2012), SCIENCE, RELIGION, AND SOCIETY: THE PROBLEM OF EVOLUTION IN AMERICA. Evolution, 66: 2654–2663. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2012.01664.x
- Issue online: 26 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 17 MAY 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 17 APR 2012 01:28PM EST
- Received December 29, 2011 , Accepted March 27, 2012
- American Association for the Advancement of Science. 2006. Statement on the teaching of evolution. Available at http://archives.aaas.org/docs/resolutions.php?doc_id=443. Accessed December 25, 2011.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science. 2011. Dialogue on science, ethics, and religion. Available at http://www.aaas.org/spp/dser/. Templeton grant information is at http://www.templeton.org/what-we-fund/grants/aaas-dialogue-on-science-ethics-and-religion-promoting-a-public-conversation. Accessed December 25, 2011.
- 2001. Intercessory prayer and cardiovascular disease progression in a coronary care unit population: a randomized controlled trial. Mayo Clinic Proc. 76:1192–1198. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Questioning the integrity of the John Templeton Foundation. Evol. Psychol. 9:92–115.
- 2010. Evolutionism, creationism, and the battle to control America's schools. Cambridge Univ. Press, New York . , and .
- California Academy of Sciences. 2009. American adults flunk basic science. Available at http://www.calacademy.org/newsroom/releases/2009/scientific_literacy.php. Accessed December 25, 2011.
- 2000. Is NOMA a no man's land? (Review of Rocks of Ages Science and Religion on the Fullness of Life by Stephen Jay Gould). Times Literary Supplement ( London ), June 9, 2000, pp. 28–29.
- 2009a. Why evolution is true. Viking , New York . .
- 2009b. Seeing and believing. The New Republic, February 4, 2009, pp. 32–41. .
- 2010. Science and religion aren't friends. USA Today, October 10, p. 11A.
- 2010. Science vs. religion: what scientists really think. Oxford Univ. Press, New York .
- Eurobarometer. 2005. Social values, science, and technology. Public Opinion Analysis Sector, European Commission Directorate-General Communication. Available at http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/ebs/ebs_225_report_en.pdf. Accessed December 25, 2011.
- 2000. Methodological naturalism and philosophical naturalism: clarifying the connection. Philo 3:7–29.
- 2011a. Evolution, creationism, intelligent design. Available at http://www.gallup.com/poll/21814/evolution-creationism-intelligent-design.aspx. Accessed December 25, 2011.
- 2011b. More than 9 in 10 Americans continue to believe in God. Available at http://www.gallup.com/poll/147887/americans-continue-believe-god.aspx. Accessed December 25, 2011. .
- 2011c. In U.S., 3 in 10 say they take the Bible literally. Available at http://www.gallup.com/poll/148427/Say-Bible-Literally.aspx?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=syndication&utm_content=morelink&utm_term=Religion%20-%20Religion%20and%20Social%20Trends. Accessed December 25, 2011. .
- 1872. Statistical inquiries into the efficacy of prayer. Fortnightly Rev. 12:125–135.
- 1999. Rocks of ages: science and religion in the fullness of life. Ballantine , New York .
- 2009. God and evolution. National Center for Science Education website. Available at http://ncse.com/religion/god-evolution. Accessed December 25, 2011.
- 1996. Message to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences: on evolution. Available at http://www.ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/jp961022.htm. Accessed December 25, 2011. .
- 1997. Scientists are still keeping the faith. Nature 386:435–436. , and .
- 1998. Leading scientists still reject God. Nature 394:313. , and .
- 1996. Why America needs religion. Eerdmans Publishing Co., Grand Rapids , Michigan .
- 2007. How the public resolves conflicts between faith and science. Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. Available at http://pewforum.org/Science-and-Bioethics/How-the-Public-Resolves-Conflicts-Between-Faith-and-Science.aspx. Accessed December 25, 2011.
- 2009. Public opinion on religion and science in the United States. Pew Forum on Religion and public life. Available at http://pewforum.org/Science-and-Bioethics/Public-Opinion-on-Religion-and-Science-in-the-United-States.aspx. Accessed December 25, 2011. .
- 2006. Public acceptance of evolution. Science 313:765–766. , , and .
- 2009. Unscientific America. Basic Books, New York . , and .
- National Academies. 2008. Compatibility of science and religion. Available at http://www.nationalacademies.org/evolution/Compatibility.html. Accessed December 25, 2011.
- 1999. Gould on God. Boston Review. October/November: pp. 24–26.
- 2009. The chronic dependence of popular religiosity upon dysfunctional psychosociological conditions. Evol. Psychol. 7:398–441.
- Pew Forum. 2008 Religious landscape survey: religious affiliation: diverse and dynamic. Available at http://religions.pewforum.org/pdf/report-religious-landscape-study-full.pdf. Accessed December 25, 2011.
- Pew Research Center Publications. 2010. U.S. religious knowledge survey. Available at http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1745/religious-knowledge-in-america-survey-atheists-agnostics-score-highest. Accessed February 26, 2012.
- Pew Research Center, The Databank. 2011. 87–32%—evolutionary theory. Available at http://pewresearch.org/databank/dailynumber/?NumberID=818. Accessed December 25, 2011.
- 2011. Science and religion: where the conflict really lies. Pp. 1–25 in J. P. Sterba, ed. Science and religion: are they compatible? Oxford Univ. Press, New York .
- PollingReport.com. Science and nature. Report of Harris Poll, June 17–21, 2005. Available at http://www.pollingreport.com/science.htm. Accessed December 25, 2011.
- 2009. The origins of religion: evolved adaptation or by-product? Trends Cogn. Sci. 14:104–108. , and
- 2009. Is personal insecurity a cause of cross-national differences in the intensity of religious belief? J. Relig. Soc. 11:1–24.
- 2011. Religion and scientific literacy in the United States. Soc. Sci. Quart. 92:1134–1150.
- Society for the study of evolution. Statement on the teaching of evolution. Available at http://www.evolutionsociety.org/resourcesgeneral.asp. Accessed December 25, 2011.
- 2011. Economic inequality, relative power and religiosity. Soc. Sci. Quart. 92:447–465. , , and .
- Templeton Foundation. 2011. Templeton Prize: purpose. Available at http://www.templetonprize.org/abouttheprize.html. Accessed December 25, 2011.
- U.S. Department of Education, Center for Education Statistics. 2011. Digest of Education Statistics, 2010. Data available at http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=1. Accessed December 25, 2011.
- 1855. Song of myself. In: Leaves of grass. Self published, Brooklyn , New York .
- 2007. Atheism: contemporary rates and patterns. Pp. 47–65 in M. Martin, ed., The Cambridge companion to atheism. University of Cambridge Press, Cambridge.
- 2008. Society without God: what the least religious nations can tell us about contentment. New York University Press, New York . .