THE CELLULAR IMMUNE RESPONSE OF DAPHNIA MAGNA UNDER HOST–PARASITE GENETIC VARIATION AND VARIATION IN INITIAL DOSE
Version of Record online: 9 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Author(s). Evolution© 2012 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 66, Issue 10, pages 3287–3293, October 2012
How to Cite
Auld, S. K. J. R., Edel, K. H. and Little, T. J. (2012), THE CELLULAR IMMUNE RESPONSE OF DAPHNIA MAGNA UNDER HOST–PARASITE GENETIC VARIATION AND VARIATION IN INITIAL DOSE. Evolution, 66: 3287–3293. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2012.01671.x
- Issue online: 1 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 9 MAY 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 17 APR 2012 01:40PM EST
- Received October 11, 2011, Accepted March 19, 2012, Data Archived: Dryad doi:10.5061/dryad.v97v2b03/1
- 1999. Cellular response to Echinostoma caproni infection in Biomphalaria glabrata strains selected for susceptibility/resistance. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 23:187–198. , and .
- 2010. Genetic variation in the cellular response of Daphnia magna (Crustacea: Cladocera) to its bacterial parasite. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B Biol. Sci. 277:3291–3297. , , and .
- 2009. Uncovering the evolutionary history of innate immunity: the simplest metazoan Hydra uses epithelial cells for host defence. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 33:559–569. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2004. Characterization of a defensin from the Sand Fly Phlebotomus duboscqi induced by challenge with bacteria or the protozoan parasite Leishmania major. Infect. Immun. 72:7140–7146. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2005. Evolution in heterogeneous environments and the potential of maintenance of genetic variation in traits of adaptive significance. Genetica 123:107–124.
- 2002. Bacteria-hemocyte interactions and phagocytosis in marine bivalves. Microsc. Res. Techniq. 57:469–476. , , , and .
- 2001. Genetic variation in a host-parasite association: potential for coevolution and frequency-dependent selection. Evolution 55:1136–1145. , , and .
- 2004. Costs of resistance: genetic correlations and potential trade-offs in an insect immune system. J. Evol. Biol. 17:421–429. , , and .
- 2011. Candidate innate immune system gene expression in the ecological model Daphnia. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 35:1066–1075. , , , , and .
- 2011. Resolving the infection process reveals striking differences in the contribution of environment, genetics and phylogeny to host-parasite interactions. BMC Biol. 9:1–11. , , , , and .
- 1996. Development, life cycle, ultrastructure and phylogenetic position of Pasteuria ramosa Metchnikoff 1888: rediscovery of an obligate endoparasite of Daphnia magna Straus. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B Biol. Sci. 351:1689–1701. , , , and .
- 2000. Interactions between the cellular and humoral immune responses in Drosophila. Curr. Biol. 10:781–784. , , and .
- 2003. Sensing infection in Drosophila: Toll and beyond. Semin. Immunol. 16:43–53. , , and .
- 2008. Antimicrobial defense and persistent infection in insects. Science 21:1257–1259. , , and .
- 1980. Sex versus non-sex versus parasite. Oikos 35:282–290.
- 2010. Evolution of host innate defence: insights from C. elegans and primitive invertebrates. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 10:47–58. , , and .
- 1978. A hypothesis to account for the maintenance of sex within populations. Evol. Theor. 3:191–194.
- 1992. Sexual reproduction in Daphnia magna requires three stimuli. Oikos 65:197–206. , , and .
- 1994. ADaM, an artificial freshwater for the culture of zooplankton. Wat. Res. 28:743–746. , , , and .
- 2001. Basis of the trade-off between parasitoid resistance and larval competitive ability in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B Biol. Sci. 268:259–261. , , and .
- 2009. ProPhenolOxidase in Daphnia magna: cDNA sequencing and expression in relation to resistance to pathogens. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 33:674–680. , and .
- 2009. An ancient immunity gene duplication in Daphnia magna: RNA expression and sequence analysis of two nitric oxide synthase genes. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 33:1000–1010. , , and .
- 2010. Dissecting the genetic architecture of host-pathogen specificity. PLoS Pathogens 6:e1001019.
- 2005. Immune challenge differentially affects transcript abundance of three antimicrobial peptides in hemocytes from the moth Pseudoplusia includens. Insect Biochem. Mol. Biol. 35:1335–1346. , , and .
- 2004. Genetic basis of natural variation in D. melanogaster antibacterial immunity. Science 303:1873–1876. , , and .
- 1997. Drosophila host defense: differential induction of antimicrobial peptide genes after infection by various classes of microorganisms. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 94:14614–14619. , , and .
- 2005. Invertebrate immunity and the limits of mechanistic immunology. Nat. Immunol. 6:651–654. , , and .
- 2011. Cloning of the unculturable parasite Pasteuria ramosa and its Daphnia host reveals extreme genotype-genotype interactions. Ecol. Lett. 14:125–131. , , , , and .
- 1884. A disease of Daphnia caused by a yeast. A contribution to the theory of phagocytes as agents for attack on disease-causing organisms. Pp. 132-138 in T. Brock, ed. Milestones in microbiology. American Society for Microbiology, Washington, DC.
- 2001. The interaction between the gelatin-binding domain of fibronectin and the attachment of Pasteuria penetrans endospores to nematode cuticle. Parasitology 123:271–276. , , and .
- 2000. Cytotoxicity and cytotoxic molecules in invertebrates. BioEssays 22:469–480. , and .
- 2011. Non-immunological defense in an evolutionary framework. Trends Ecol. Evol. 26:242–248. , , , , and .
- R. 2005. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna , Austria .
- 2009. Differential expression of immune defences is associated with specific host-parasite interactions in insects. PLoS One 4:e7621. , , , and .
- 1985. Pasteuria penetrans (ex Thorne 1940) nom. rev., comb. n., sp. n., a mycelial endospore-forming bacterium parasitic in plant-parasitic nematodes. Proc. Helminthol. Soc. Wash. 52:149–165. , and .
- 2004. The distribution of genotypes of the trypanosome parasite Crithidia bombi in populations of its host, Bombus terrestris. Parasitology 129:147–158. , and .
- 2008. Genetic and immunological comparison of the cladoceran parasite Pasteuria ramosa with the nematode parasite Pasteuria penetrans. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 74:259–264. , , , , and .
- 2010. Maintenance of genetic variation in immune defence of a freshwater snail: role of environmental heterogeneity. Evolution 64:2397–2407. , and .
- 2008. Bacterial strategies to overcome insect defences. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 6:302–313. , , and .
- 2008. The genetic architecture of susceptibility to parasites. BMC Evol. Biol. 8:187–195. , and .