THE DYNAMICS OF MITOCHONDRIAL MUTATIONS CAUSING MALE INFERTILITY IN SPATIALLY STRUCTURED POPULATIONS
Version of Record online: 17 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Author(s). Evolution© 2012 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 66, Issue 10, pages 3179–3188, October 2012
How to Cite
Zhang, H., Guillaume, F. and Engelstädter, J. (2012), THE DYNAMICS OF MITOCHONDRIAL MUTATIONS CAUSING MALE INFERTILITY IN SPATIALLY STRUCTURED POPULATIONS. Evolution, 66: 3179–3188. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2012.01675.x
- Issue online: 1 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 17 MAY 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 24 APR 2012 06:55AM EST
- Received November 18, 2011, Accepted March 19, 2012
- 2007. Misanalysis gave false association of mtDNA mutations with infertility. Int. J. Androl. 31:450–453.
- 1991. Metabolic regulation in mammalian sperm: mitochondrial volume determines sperm length and flagellar beat frequency. Cell Motil. Cytoskel. 19:180–188. , and .
- 1959. On the evolutionary importance of cytoplasmic sterility in mosquitoes. Evolution 13:568–570. , and .
- 2003. A diffusion approximation for selection and drift in a subdivided population. Genetics 163:421–428. , and .
- 2008. Variation in mitochondrial genotype has substantial lifespan effects which may be modulated by nuclear background. Aging Cell 7:795–804.
- 2011. Cytoplasmic male sterility in Drosophila melanogaster associated with a mitochondrial CYTB variant. Heredity 107:374–376. , , and .
- 1998. The maintenance of nucleocytoplasmic polymorphism in a metapopulation: the case of gynodioecy. Am. Nat. 152:59–70. , , and .
- 1979. Morphological, histochemical, and biochemical studies on germ cell mitochondria of normal rats. Cell Tissue Res. 196:1–22. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Effects of cytoplasmic genes on sperm viability and sperm morphology in a seed beetle: implications for sperm competition theory? J. Evol. Biol. 20:358–368. , , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary implications of non-neutral mitochondrial genetic variation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23:546–554. , , and .
- 2010. The effect of pollen versus seed flow on the maintenance of nuclear-cytoplasmic gynodioecy. Evolution 64:772–784. , and .
- 2006. Outbreeding selects for spiteful cytoplasmic elements. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273:923–929. , and .
- 2009. Cytoplasmic incompatibility and host population structure. Heredity 103:196–207. , and .
- 1978. On the dynamics of symbiont-dependent cyto-plasmic incompatibility in Culicine mosquitoes. J. Invertebr. Pathol. 30:10–18.
- 2007. Wolbachia-induced unidirectional cytoplasmic incompatibility and the stability of infection polymorphism in parapatric host populations. J. Evol. Biol. 20:696–706. , , and .
- 1996. Mitochondria and male disease. Nature 383:224. , and .
- 2004. Mother’s curse: the effect of mtDNA on individual fitness and population viability. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19:238–244. , , and .
- 1980. Mating systems, philopatry and dispersal in birds and mammals. Anim. Behav. 28:1140–1162.
- 2006. Nemo: an evolutionary and population genetics programming framework. Bioinformatics 22:2556–2557. , and .
- 2011. Reversing mother's curse revisited. Evolution 66:612–616. ,
- 2011. Experimental evidence supports a sex-specific selective sieve in mitochondrial genome evolution. Science 332:845–848. , , and .
- 1962. On the probability of fixation of mutant genes in a population. Genetics 47:713–719.
- 2007. Natural selection on fecundity variance in subdivided populations: kin selection meets bet hedging. Genetics 176:361–377. , and .
- 2007. Strong reciprocity or strong ferocity? A population genetic view of the evolution of altruistic punishment. Am. Nat. 170:21–36. , , , and .
- 2006. Mutation pressure and the evolution of organelle genomic architecture. Science 311:1727–1730. , , and .
- 1995. Contribution of the male factor to unexplained infertility: a review. Int. J. Andro. 18 (Suppl. 1):58–61.
- 1970. On the fixation probability of mutant genes in a subdivided population. Genet. Res. 15:221–225.
- 1997. Local population structure and sex ratio: evolution in gynodioecious plants. Am. Nat. 150:406–419. , and .
- 1976. Motility of spermatozoa. Pp. 83–99 in E. S. E. Hafez, ed. Human semen and fertility regulation in men. C. V. Mosby Co., St. Louis. , , and .
- 2006. Mitochondria-related male infertility. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103:15148–15153. , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. The genetic causes of male factor infertility: a review. Fertil. Steril. 93:1–12. , , and .
- 2005. Human mtDNA haplogroups and reduced male fertility: real association or hidden population substructuring. Int. J. Androl. 28:241–247. , , , , and ,
- 2004. Cytonuclear coevolution: the genomics of cooperation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19:645–653. , , and .
- 2008. The spread of incompatibility-inducing parasites in sub-divided host populations. BMC Evol. Biol. 8:134. , , and .
- 2004. Genetic structure and selection in subdivided populations. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ .
- 2003. Selection and drift in subdivided populations: a straightforward method for deriving diffusion approximations and applications involving dominance, selfing and local extinctions. Genetics 165:2153–2166. , and .
- 2000. Human mtDNA haplogroups associated with high or reduced spermatozoa motility. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 67:682–696. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Cytoplasmic male sterility in plants: molecular evidence and the nucleocytoplasmic conflict. Trends Ecol. Evol. 9:431–435. , , and .
- 2006. A novel missense mutation C11994T in the mitochondrial ND4 gene as a cause of low sperm motility in the Indian subcontinent. Fertil. Steril. 86:1783–1785. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Female remating, sperm competition and sexual selection in Drosophila. Genet. Mol. Res. 1:178–215. , , and .
- 2010. Introducing mother’s curse: low male fertility associated with an imported mtDNA haplotype in a captive colony of brown hares. Mol. Ecol. 19:36–43. , , and .
- 2002. Can mitochondrial DNA mutations cause sperm dysfunction? Mol. Hum. Repord. 8:719–721. , , and .
- 2005. The impact of mitochondrial genetics on male infertility. Int. J. Androl. 28:65–73. , , and .
- 2005. Mitochondrial DNA mutations in human disease. Nat. Rev. Genet. 6:389–402. , and .
- 2004. Unveiling the molecular arms race between two conflicting genomes in cytoplasmic male sterility? Trends Plant Sci. 9:568–570. , and .
- 1991. Rapid spread of an inherited incompatibility factor in California Drosophila. Nature 353:440–442. , and .
- 2009. Population genetics of sexually antagonistic mitochondrial mutants under inbreeding. J. Theor. Biol. 260:132–136. , and .
- 2009. Reversing mother’s curse: selection on male mitochondria fitness effects. Evolution 63:1084–1089. , and .
- 2008. Wolbachia: master manipulators of invertebrate biology. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 6:741–751. , , and .
- 2002. Selection, load, and inbreeding depression in a large metapopulation. Genetics 160:1191–1202.
- 2003. Fixation probability and time in subdivided populations. Genetics 164:767–779.
- 1951. The genetical structure of populations. Ann. Eugen. 15:323–354.
- 1978. Evolution and the genetics of populations. Vol. 4. Variability within and among natural populations. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago .