Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
THE GENETIC BASIS OF A COMPLEX FUNCTIONAL SYSTEM
Article first published online: 28 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Author(s). Evolution© 2012 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 66, Issue 11, pages 3352–3366, November 2012
How to Cite
Parnell, N. F., Hulsey, C. D. and Streelman, J. T. (2012), THE GENETIC BASIS OF A COMPLEX FUNCTIONAL SYSTEM. Evolution, 66: 3352–3366. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2012.01688.x
- Issue published online: 25 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 28 MAY 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 9 MAY 2012 10:01PM EST
- Received October 21, 2011 Accepted April 12, 2012
- 2005. Genetic architecture sets limits on transgressive segregation in hybrid cichlid fishes. Evolution 59:686–690. , and .
- 2003. Directional selection has shaped the oral jaws of Lake Malawi cichlid fishes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 100:5252–5257. , , and .
- 2005. Integration and evolution of the cichlid mandible: the molecular basis of alternative feeding strategies. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102:16287–16292. , , , and .
- 2004. Evolutionary dynamics of complex biomechanical systems: an example using the four-bar mechanism. Evolution 58:495–503. , , and .
- 2005. Evolutionary consequences of many-to-one-mapping of jaw morphology to mechanics in labrid fishes. Am. Nat. 165:E140–E154. , , and .
- 1990. Basic local alignment search tool. J. Mol. Biol. 215:403–410. , , , , and .
- 1983. Morphology, performance and fitness. Am. Zool. 23:347–361.
- 2008. Rapid SNP discovery and genetic mapping using sequenced RAD markers. PLoS One 3:e3376. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1983. Toward a constructional morphology of cichlid fishes (Teleostei, Perciformes). Neth. J. Zool. 33:357–424.
- 2009. A guide to QTL mapping with R/qtl. Springer, New York , NY. , and .
- 1983. Evolution of sex determining mechanisms. Benjamin Cummings, Menlo Park , CA .
- 2009. Form and function of damselfish skulls: rapid and repeated evolution into a limited number of trophic niches. BMC Evol. Biol. 9:24. , and .
- 2010. Bentho-pelagic divergence of cichlid feeding architecture was prodigious and consistent during multiple adaptive radiations within African rift-lakes. PLoS One 5:e9551. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Genomic hotspots for adaptation: the population genetics of Müllerian mimicry in Heliconius erato. PLoS Genet. 6:e1000796. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. On the origin of species by sympatric speciation. Nature 400:354–357. , and .
- 2003. Highly parallel SNP genotyping. Cold Spring Harbor Symp. Quant. Biol. 68:69–78. et al.
- 1931. The evolution of dominance. Biol. Rev. 6:345–368.
- 2008. A periodic pattern generator for dental diversity. BMC Biol. 6:32. , , and .
- 2003. Models of speciation: what have we learned in 40 years? Evolution 57:2197–2215.
- 2005. The mbuna cichlids of Lake Malawi: a model for rapid speciation and adaptive radiation. Fish Fish. 6:1–34. , and .
- 2001. Genetic linkage of ecological specialization and reproductive isolation in pea aphids. Nature 412:904–907. , and .
- 2010. Parallel, tag-directed assembly of locally derived short sequence reads. Nat. Met. 7:119–122. , , , , and .
- 2011. Functional complexity can mitigate performance trade-offs. Am. Nat. 177:E69–E83. , , , and .
- 2005. Cichlid jaw mechanics: linking morphology to feeding specialization. Funct. Ecol. 19:487–494. , and .
- 2002. Projecting mechanics into morphospace: disparity in the feeding system of labrid fishes. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 269:317–326. , and .
- 2005. Evolution and development of complex biomechanical systems: 300 million years of fish jaws. Zebrafish 2:243–257. , , and .
- 2010. Comparative rates of lower jaw diversification in cichlid adaptive radiations. J. Evol. Biol. 23:1456–1467. , , , and .
- 2011. Chromosomal rearrangements maintain a polymorphic supergene controlling butterfly mimicry. Nature 477:203–206. et al.
- 2006. Chromosome inversions, local adaptation and speciation. Genetics 173:419–434. , and .
- 1999. Interactions among quantitative traits in the course of sympatric speciation. Nature 400:351–354. , and .
- 2005. A second-generation genetic linkage map of tilapia (Oreochromis spp.). Genetics 170:237–244. et al.
- 2008. Comparative analysis reveals signatures of differentiation amid genomic polymorphism in Lake Malawi cichlids. Genome Biol. 9:R113. , , , , , and
- 2011. Convergence, adaptation and constraint. Evolution 65–67:1827–1840.
- 2010. Geography disentangles introgression from ancestral polymorphism in Lake Malawi cichlids. Mol. Ecol. 19:940–951. , , , and .
- 1996. A novel classification of planar four-bar linkages and its application to the mechanical analysis of animal systems. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 351:689–720.
- 2002. BeadArray technology: enabling an accurate, cost-effective approach to high-throughput genotyping. Biotechniques 32:S56. , , , and .
- 2011. The macroecology of rapid evolutionary radiation. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 278:2486–2494. , and .
- 2008. Hybridization produces novelty when mapping of form to function is many to one. BMC Evol. Biol. 8:122–132. , , and .
- 2001. The genetic architecture of divergence between threespine stickleback species. Nature 414:901–905. , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Epistasis – the essential role of gene interactions in the structure and evolution of genetic systems. Nat. Rev. Gen. 9:855–867.
- 1983. A preliminary survey of the cichlid fishes of rocky habitats in Lake Malawi. S. Afr. J. Zool. 18:149–310. , , , and .
- 1987. The accumulation of sexually antagonistic genes as a selective agent promoting the evolution of reduced recombination between primitive sex chromosomes. Evolution 41:911–14.
- 1999. Transgressive segregation, adaptation and speciation. Heredity 83:363–372. , , and .
- 2009. Sexual conflict resolved by invasion of a novel sex determiner in Lake Malawi cichlid fishes. Science 326:998–1001. , , and .
- 2011. Craniofacial divergence and ongoing adaptation via the hedgehog pathway. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 108:13194–13199. , , , and .
- 2004. Hybridization and adaptive radiation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19:198–207.
- 2010. Multiple interacting loci control sex determination in lake Malawi cichlid fish. Evolution 64:486–501. , , and .
- 2002. Phylogeography of Lake Malawi Cichlids of the genus Pseudotropheus: significance of allopatric colour variation. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 269:2495–2502 , and .
- 2003. Hybrid origin of a cichlid population in Lake Malawi: implications for genetic variation and species diversity. Mol. Ecol. 12:2497–2504. , , and .
- 2009. Phenotypic novelty in experimental hybrids is predicted by the genetic distance between species of cichlid fish. BMC Evol. Biol. 9:283. , , , and .
- 2006. Evolution of novelty in the cichlid dentition. J. Exp. Zool. 306B:216–226. , and .
- 2003. The stages of vertebrate evolutionary radiation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18:126–131. , and .
- 2003a. Genome mapping of the orange blotch colour pattern in cichlid fishes. Mol. Ecol. 12:2465–2471. , , and .
- 2003b. The cusp of evolution and development: a model of cichlid tooth shape diversity. Evol. Dev. 5:600–608. , , , and .
- 2004. Hybridization and contemporary evolution in an introduced cichlid fish from Lake Malawi National Park. Mol. Ecol. 13:2471–2479. , , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Joinmap 3.0, software for the calculation of genetic linkage maps. Plant Research International, Wageningen , Netherlands . , and .
- 2007. Functional versus morphological diversity in macroevolution. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 38:381–401.
- 2004. A functional morphospace for the skull of labrid fishes: patterns of diversity in a complex biomechanical system. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 82:1–25. , , , , and .
- 1990. Feeding mechanics of teleost fishes (Labridae): a test of four-bar linkage models. J. Morphol. 205:269–295.
- 1994. Transmission of force and velocity in the feeding mechanisms of labrid fishes. Zoomorphology 114:103–118.
- 1995. Feeding, function, and phylogeny: analysis of historical biomechanics in labrid fishes using comparative methods. Syst. Biol. 44:361–383.
- 2003. A biomechanical model for analysis of muscle force, power output and lower jaw motion in fishes. J. Theor. Biol. 223:269–281.
- 2005. On the origin of Lake Malawi cichlid species. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 102:6581–6586. , , , and .
- 2008. Velvet: algorithms for de novo short read assembly using de Bruijn graphs. Gen. Res. 18:821–829. , and .