AT SOME POINT IT DOES NOT GET WORSE: LATE LIFE AND MORTALITY PLATEAUS
Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2012
© 2012 The Author(s). Evolution© 2012 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 66, Issue 9, pages 2988–2991, September 2012
How to Cite
Johnson, N. A. (2012), AT SOME POINT IT DOES NOT GET WORSE: LATE LIFE AND MORTALITY PLATEAUS. Evolution, 66: 2988–2991. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2012.01695.x
- Issue online: 4 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 12 MAY 2012 05:08AM EST
- Received April 27, 2012 Accepted April 27, 2012
- 2011. Aging in the natural world: comparative data reveal similar mortality patterns across primates. Science 331:1325–1328. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1992. Slowing of mortality rates at older ages in large medfly cohorts. Science 258:457–461. , , , and .
- 1980. Evolution in age-structured populations. Cambridge Univ. Press, London .
- 1992. Demography of genotypes: failure of the limited life span paradigm in Drosophila melanogaster. Science 258:461–463. , , , and .
- 2004. Inflammatory exposure and historical changes in human life spans. Science 305:1736–1739. , and .
- 2001 The reliability theory of aging and longevity. J. Theor. Biol. 213:527–545. , and .
- 1825. On the nature of the function expressive of the law of human mortality, and on a new mode of determining the value of life contingencies. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. 115:513–583.
- 1966. The moulding of senescence by natural selection. J. Theor. Biol. 12:12–45.
- 2010. How grandmother effects plus individual variation in frailty shape fertility and mortality: guidance from human-chimpanzee comparisons. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 107:8977–8984.
- 2010. Mutation and the evolution of ageing: from biometrics to system genetics. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B. 365:1273–1279.
- 1962. The structure of scientific revolutions. Chicago Univ. Press. Chicago, IL .
- 1974. The genetic basis of evolutionary change. Columbia Univ. Press, New York .
- 1952. An unsolved problem of biology. H. K. Lewis, London .
- 1996. Evolutionary theory predicts late-life mortality plateaus. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 93:15249–15253. , and .
- 1997. Life history evolution in guppies (Poecilia reticulata): guppies as a model for studying the evolutionary biology of aging. Exp. Gerontol. 32:245–258.
- 1991. The evolutionary biology of aging. Oxford Univ. Press. Oxford .
- 2006. A revolution for aging research. Biogerontology 7:269–277. , , , and .
- 1997. Trajectories of mortality at advanced ages. Pp. 17–37 in K. W. Wachter and C. E. Finch, eds. Between Zeus and the Salmon: the biodemography of longevity. National Academy Press. Washington , DC .
- 1997. Between Zeus and the Salmon: introduction. Pp. 1–16 in K. W. Wachter and C. E. Finch, eds. Between Zeus and the Salmon: the biodemography of longevity. National Academy Press. Washington , DC .
- 1957. Pleiotropy, natural selection, and the evolution of senescence. Evolution 11:398–411.