TYPE I ERROR RATES FOR TESTING GENETIC DRIFT WITH PHENOTYPIC COVARIANCE MATRICES: A SIMULATION STUDY
Version of Record online: 22 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Author(s). Evolution© 2012 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 67, Issue 1, pages 185–195, January 2013
How to Cite
Prôa, M., O'Higgins, P. and Monteiro, L. R. (2013), TYPE I ERROR RATES FOR TESTING GENETIC DRIFT WITH PHENOTYPIC COVARIANCE MATRICES: A SIMULATION STUDY. Evolution, 67: 185–195. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2012.01746.x
- Issue online: 4 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 22 AUG 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 28 JUL 2012 07:44AM EST
- Received November 22, 2010, Accepted July 3, 2012
- 2002. Discerning evolutionary processes in patterns of tamarin (genus Saguinus) craniofacial variation. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol. 117:260–271. , and .
- 2004. Detecting genetic drift versus selection in human evolution. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 101:17946–17951. , and .
- 2001. The adaptive landscape as a conceptual bridge between micro- and macro-evolution. Genetica 112–113:9–32. , , and .
- 2001. An analysis of G matrix variation in two closely related cricket species, Gryllus firmus and G. pennsylvanicus. J. Evol. Biol. 14:1–13. , and .
- 2004. From micro- to macroevolution through quantitative genetic variation: positive evidence from field crickets. Evolution 58:2287–2304. , and .
- 2004. Phylogenetic comparative analysis: a modeling approach for adaptive evolution. Am. Nat. 164:683–695. , and .
- 1988. A comparison of genetic and phenotypic correlations. Evolution 42:958–968.
- 2007. Comparing covariance matrices: random skewers method compared to the common principal components model. Genet. Mol. Biol. 30:461–469. , and .
- 2009. Covariance structure in the skull of Catarrhini: a case of pattern stasis and magnitude evolution. J. Hum. Evol. 56:417–430. , , and .
- 1996. Functional tradeoffs and phenotypic plasticity in the freshwater snail Physa. Ph.D. diss, Binghamton University, Binghamton, New York .
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity: tests with predator-induced morphology and life history in a freshwater snail. J. Evol. Biol. 11:465–480.
- 1996. Introduction to quantitative genetics. 4th ed. Pearson Prentice Hall, Harlow , U. K . , and .
- 1988. Phylogenies and quantitative characters. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 19:445–471.
- 2006. Testing the phenotypic gambit: phenotypic, genetic and environmental correlations of colour. J. Evol. Biol. 20:549–557. , , , and .
- 2006. Generating random correlation matrices based on partial correlations. J. Multivariate Anal. 97:2177–2189.
- 2003. Stability of the G-matrix in a population experiencing pleiotropic mutation, stabilizing selection, and genetic drift. Evolution 57:1747–1760. , , and .
- 2010. Quantitative genetics of shape in cricket wings: developmental integration in a functional structure. Evolution 64:2935–2951. , , and .
- 1996. Realized sampling variances of estimates of genetic parameters and the difference between genetic and phenotypic correlations. Genetics 143:1409–1416. , and .
- 2007. New answers for old questions: the evolutionary quantitative genetics of wild animal populations. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 39:525–548. , , and .
- 2000. Principles of multivariate analysis: a user's perspective. 2nd ed. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , U. K .
- 1979. Quantitative genetic analysis of multivariate evolution, applied to brain:body size allometry. Evolution 33:402–416.
- 1980. Genetic variation and phenotypic evolution during allopatric speciation. Am. Nat. 116:463–479.
- 1986. Quantitative genetics of morphological differentiation in Peromyscus. I. Tests of homogeneity of genetic covariance structure among species and subspecies. Evolution 40:559–573.
- 1988. Quantitative genetics of morphological differentiation in Peromyscus. II. Analysis of selection and drift. Evolution 42:54–67.
- 1990. The rate of morphological evolution in mammals from the standpoint of the neutral expectation. Am. Nat. 136:727–741.
- 1999. Sample size in factor analysis. Psychol. Methods 4:84–99. , , , and .
- 2004. Did natural selection or genetic drift produce the cranial diversification of neotropical monkeys? Am. Nat. 163:417–428. , and .
- 1984. Generating correlation matrices. SIAM J. Sci. Statist. Comput. 5:470–475. , and .
- 2010. Better estimates of genetic covariance matrices by “bending” using penalized maximum likelihood. Genetics 185:1097–1110. , and .
- 2005. Morphological divergence rate tests for natural selection: uncertainty of parameter estimation and robustness of results. Genet. Mol. Biol. 28:345–355. , and .
- 2002. Geometric estimates of heritability in biological shape. Evolution 56:563–572. , , , and .
- 2010. vegan: Community Ecology Package. R package version 1.17–4. Available at http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=vegan. Accessed April 30, 2010. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Nonrandom factors in modern human morphological diversification: a study of craniofacial variation in southern south american populations. Evolution 63:978–993. , and .
- 1999. Hierarchical comparison of genetic variance-covariance matrices I. Using the Flury hierarchy. Evolution 53:1506–1515. , and .
- 2009. clusterGeneration: random cluster generation (with specified degree of separation). R package version 1.2.7. Available at http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=clusterGeneration. Accessed September 18, 2011. , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2010. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing. Vienna , Austria . Available at http://www.R-project.org. Accessed April 30, 2010.
- 2007. Testing the genetic constraint hypothesis in a phylogenetic context: a simulation study. Evolution 61:2720–2727.
- 2007. A phylogenetic approach to determining the importance of constraint on phenotypic evolution in the neotropical lizard Anolis cristatellus. Evol. Ecol. Res. 9:261–282. , , , and .
- 2010. Nonlinear selection and the evolution of variances and covariances for continuous characters in an anole. J. Evol. Biol. 23:407–421. , , , , , and .
- 1995. The estimation of genetic correlations from phenotypic correlations: a test of Cheverud's conjecture. Heredity 74:481–490.
- 1996. The evolution of genetic correlations: an analysis of patterns. Evolution 50:1392–1403.
- 1999. Variation in genetic architecture of calling song among populations of Allonemobius socius, A. fasciatus, and a hybrid population: drift or selection? Evolution 53:216–224. , , and .
- 2002. Modern applied statistics with S. 4th ed. Springer, New York . , and .
- 1998. Genetic and phenotypic correlations in plants: a botanical test of Cheverud's conjecture. Heredity 80:310–319. , and .
- 2007. Were neandertal and modern human cranial differences produced by natural selection or genetic drift? J. Hum. Evol. 53:135–145. , , and .
- 1991. Can one predict the evolution of quantitative characters without genetics? Evolution 45:441–444. , , and .
- 1988. Long-term correlated response, interpopulation covariation, and interspecific allometry. Evolution 42:363–374.