HOW TO MEASURE MATURATION: A COMPARISON OF PROBABILISTIC METHODS USED TO TEST FOR GENOTYPIC VARIATION AND PLASTICITY IN THE DECISION TO MATURE
Version of Record online: 31 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Author(s). Evolution© 2012 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 67, Issue 2, pages 525–538, February 2013
How to Cite
Harney, E., Dooren, T. J. M. V., Paterson, S. and Plaistow, S. J. (2013), HOW TO MEASURE MATURATION: A COMPARISON OF PROBABILISTIC METHODS USED TO TEST FOR GENOTYPIC VARIATION AND PLASTICITY IN THE DECISION TO MATURE. Evolution, 67: 525–538. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2012.01758.x
- Issue online: 28 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 31 AUG 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 1 AUG 2012 01:13PM EST
- Received March 20, 2012 Accepted July 13, 2012 Data Archived: Dryad doi:10.5061/dryad.r13f5
- 1989. The long-term maintenance of Daphnia magna Straus for use in ecotoxicity tests: problems and prospects. Pp. 144–148 in Proceedings of the First European Conference on ecotoxicology. Lyngby, Denmark . , , , and .
- 1998. Phenotypic plasticity and constancy of life-history traits in laboratory clones of Daphnia magna Straus: effects of neonatal length. Funct. Ecol. 12:442–452. , and .
- 2004. Estimating reaction norms for age and size at maturation when age at first reproduction is unknown. Evol. Ecol. Res. 6:659–678. , , , and .
- 2010. The reaction norm of size and age at maturity under multiple predator risk. J. Anim. Ecol. 79:1069–1076. , , and .
- 1993. Determinants of maturation in animals. Trends Ecol. Evol. 8:166–173.
- 2007. An ontogenetic perspective on the relationship between age and size at maturity. Funct. Ecol. 21:505–512. , and .
- 1994. Reaction norms for age and size at maturity in response to temperature: a puzzle for life historians. Oikos 70:474–478. , and
- 1994. The evolution of reaction norms: simple models for age and size at maturity. J. Evol. Biol. 7:549–566. , and .
- 2004. Endocrine mechanisms underlying plasticity in metamorphic timing in spadefoot toads. Integr. Comp. Biol. 43:646–657. , and .
- 1991. Mechanisms of energy allocation to reproduction in the cladoceran Daphnia magna Straus. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 44:325–333. , , and .
- 1995. Initiation of metamorphosis in the pitcher-plant mosquito: effects of larval growth history. Ecology 76:2055–2065. , and .
- 2003. Modelling survival data in medical research. Chapman and Hall/CRC, Boca Raton .
- 2004. The physiological basis of reaction norms: the interaction among growth rate, the duration of growth and body size. Integr. Comp. Biol. 44:443–449. , and .
- 2003. Critical weight in the development of insect body size. Evol. Dev. 5:188–197. , , and .
- 2002. Developmental thresholds and the evolution of reaction norms for age and size at life-history transitions. Am. Nat. 159:338–350. , and .
- 1997. Von Bertalanffy's growth equation should not be used to model age and size at maturity. Am. Nat. 149:381–393. , and .
- 1999. Critical weight for the induction of pupariation in Drosophila melanogaster: genetic and environmental variation. J. Evol. Biol. 12:852–858. , , , and .
- 1997. Proximate mechanisms of phenotypic plasticity in amphibian metamorphosis. Am. Zool. 37:172–184.
- 1998. Adaptive plasticity in amphibian metamorphosis: response of Scaphiopus hammondii tadpoles to habitat desiccation. Ecology 79:1859–1872. , , and .
- 2007. Probabilistic maturation reaction norms: their history, strengths, and limitations. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 335:253–269. , and .
- 2000. Alternative time scales and failure time models. Lifetime Data Anal. 6:157–179. , and .
- 2005. Conserved ontogeny and allometric scaling of resource acquisition and allocation in the Daphniidae. Evolution 59:565–576. , and .
- 1991. The effect of size at birth, maturation threshold and genetic differences on the life-history of Daphnia magna. Oecologia 86:243–250.
- 1992. A food-independent maturation threshold and size at maturity in Daphnia magna. Limnol. Oceanogr. 37:878–881. .
- 1994. A maturation size threshold and phenotypic plasticity of age and size at maturity in Daphnia magna. Oikos 69:309–317. .
- 1997. The evolution and genetics of maturation in Daphnia. Pp. 151–178 in B. Streit, T. Städler, and C. M. Lively, eds. Evolutionary ecology of freshwater animals: concepts and case studies. Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel . .
- 2004. Maturity changes in Norwegian spring-spawning herring Clupea harengus: compensatory or evolutionary responses Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 272:245–256. , and .
- 1995. Influence of food quantity and lead exposure on maturation in Daphnia magna; evidence for a trade-off mechanism. Funct. Ecol. 9:175–185. , , , and .
- 2004. Adaptive changes in harvested populations: plasticity and evolution of age and size at maturation. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 271:415–423. , , and .
- 2008. Developmental variation in the forest tent caterpillar: life history consequences of a threshold size for pupation. Oikos 117:135–143. , and .
- 1990. Food thresholds and body size in cladocerans. Nature 343:638–640.
- 1956. Growth, size and reproduction in Daphnia (Crustacea: cladocera). Proc. Zool. Soc. Lond. 126:173–204.
- 2003. Fisheries-induced trends in reaction norms for maturation in North Sea plaice. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 257:247–257. , , , , and .
- 2010. Body size in freshwater planktonic crustaceans: an overview of extrinsic determinants and modifying influences of biotic interactions. Hydrobiologia 668: 61–108. , and .
- 2008. Detecting fisheries-induced life-history evolution: an overview of the reaction-norm approach. Bull. Mar. Sci. 83:69–93. , and .
- 2002. Measuring probabilistic reaction norms for age and size at maturation. Evolution 56:669–678. , , and .
- 2002. A solution to the problem of separation in logistic regression. Stat. Med. 21:2409–2419. , and .
- 2002. Goodness-of-fit processes for logistic regression: simulation results. Stat. Med. 21:2723–2738. , and .
- 1997. A comparison of goodness-of-fit tests for the logistic regression model. Stat. Med. 16:965–980. , , , and .
- 2001. Toward a new synthesis: population genetics and evolutionary developmental biology. Genetica 112–113:45–58. , and .
- 1987. Delay of flowering in the “biennial”Cirsium vulgare: size effects and devernalization. Oikos 49:303–308. , , and .
- 2012. MKmisc: Miscellaneous functions from M. Kohl. R package version 0.91. Available via http://www.stamats.de.
- 2007. Does the probabilistic maturation reaction norm approach disentangle phenotypic plasticity from genetic change Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 335:295–300.
- 2008. Probabilistic models for continuous ontogenetic transition processes. PLoS One 3:3677. , , and .
- 1998. Tutorial in biostatistics methods for interval-censored data. Stat. Med. 17:219–238. , and .
- 1989. The life history consequences of resource depression in Daphnia pulex. Ecology 70:246–256.
- 2007. Disentangling the causes of maturation trends in exploited fish populations. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 335:249–251. , and .
- 1983. Age, weight and the genetics of sexual maturation in the platyfish, Xiphophorus maculatus. Copeia 1983:770–774. , , , , and .
- 2007. Size assessment and growth control: how adult size is determined in insects. BioEssays 29:344–355. , and .
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolutionary changes in maturation reaction norms in North Sea sole Solea solea. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 351:189–199. , , and .
- 2000. A comparative analysis of plasticity in larval development in three species of spadefoot toads. Ecology 81:1736–1749. , and .
- 2006. Does size matter most? The effect of growth history on probabilistic reaction norm for salmon maturation. Evolution 60:1516–1521. , and
- 2002. Rule of age and size at maturity: individual variation in the maturation history of resident white-spotted charr. J. Fish Biol. 61:1230–1238. , and .
- 2003. The control of body size in insects. Dev. Biol. 261:1–9.
- 2008. Size matters (but so does time), and it's OK to be different. Dev. Cell 15:491–492. .
- 1974. Control of moulting and metamorphosis in the tobacco hornworm, Manduca sexta (L.): growth of the last-instar larva and the decision to pupate. J. Exp. Biol. 61:481–491. , and .
- 2010. Conflicting processes in the evolution of body size and development time. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 365:567–575. , , and .
- OECD. 1984. Daphnia sp., acute immobilisation test and reproduction test. Pp. 1–16 in Annex I: OECD test guidelines for studies included in the SIDS. OECD, Paris .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , and .
- 1990. On dome-shaped norms of reaction for size-to-age at maturity in fishes. Funct. Ecol. 4:53–57. , and .
- 2008. Genetic variation in threshold reaction norms for alternative reproductive tactics in male Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. Biol. Sci. 275:1571–1575. , , and .
- 1983. Quadpack: a subroutine package for automatic integration. Springer V., Berlin . , , , and .
- 2004. Age and size at maturity: sex, environmental variability and developmental thresholds. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. Biol. Sci. 271:919–924. , , , and .
- 1983. Size, age and demography of metamorphosis and sexual maturation in fishes. Am. Zool. 23:57–63.
- 1982. The effect of food concentration on swimming patterns, feeding behavior, ingestion, assimilation, and respiration by Daphnia. Limnol. Oceanogr. 27:935–949. , , and .
- 2009. Comparison of demographic and direct methods to calculate probabilistic maturation reaction norms for Flemish Cap cod (Gadus morhua). Evol. Appl. 2:291–298. , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing Vienna , Austria .
- 1997. ImageJ, U.S. National Institute of Health, Bethesda , Maryland , USA . Available via http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/.
- 1990. Plasticity in age and size at maturity in male guppies (Poecilia reticulata): an experimental evaluation of alternative models of development. J. Evol. Biol. 3:185–203.
- 1993. Fisheries as a large-scale experiment on life-history evolution: disentangling phenotypic and genetic effects in changes in maturation and reproduction of North Sea plaice, Pleuronectes platessa L. Oecologia 96:391–401.
- 2001. Age and size at maturity. Pp. 99–112 in C. W. Fox, D. A. Roff, and D. J. Fairbairn, eds. Evolutionary ecology: concepts and case studies. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K .
- 1994. How rearing temperature affects optimal adult size in ectotherms. Funct. Ecol. 8:486–493. , and .
- 2011. Reduced daylength stimulates size-dependent precocious maturity in 0+ male Atlantic salmon parr. Aquaculture 311:168–174. , and .
- 2006. Parametric survival models for interval-censored data with time-dependent covariates. Biostatistics 7:599–614. , , , and .
- 1986. The evolution of phenotypic plasticity in life-history traits: predictions of reaction norms for age and size at maturity. Evolution 40:893–913. , and .
- 1999. The developmental basis for allometry in insects. Development 126:1091–1101. , and .
- 2010. Timing of the maturation transition in haddock Melanogrammus aeglefinus. J. Fish Biol. 77:1252–1267. , , and .
- 1984. Anuran size at metamorphosis: experimental test of a model based on intraspecific competition. Ecology 65:1155–1160.
- 2011. Experimental assessment of the probabilistic maturation reaction norm: condition matters. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. Biol. Sci. 278:709–717. , , , , , and .
- 2005. The analysis of reaction norms for age and size at maturity using maturation rate models. Evolution 59:500–506. , , and .
- 1975. Predictions of fate from rosette size in teasel (Dipsacus fullonum L.). Oecologia 20:197–201.
- 1995. Bidirectional selection on threshold size for flowering in Cynoglossum officianale (hound's-tongue). Heredity 74:415–424. , and .
- 1996. Threshold size for vernalization in Senecio jacobaea: genetic variation and response to artificial selection. Funct. Ecol. 10:281–288. , and .
- 2003. Developmental plasticity and evolution. Oxford Univ. Press, New York .
- 1973. Ecological aspects of amphibian metamorphosis: nonnormal distributions of competitive ability reflect selection for facultative metamorphosis. Science 182:1305–1314. , and .
- 2001. Developmental interactions and the constituents of quantitative variation. Evolution 55:232–245. , , , , and
- 2007. Understanding the maturation process for field investigations of fisheries-induced evolution. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 335:279–283.