THE ORIGIN OF SPECIFICITY BY MEANS OF NATURAL SELECTION: EVOLVED AND NONHOST RESISTANCE IN HOST–PATHOGEN INTERACTIONS
Article first published online: 24 SEP 2012
© 2012 The Author(s). Evolution© 2012 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 67, Issue 1, pages 1–9, January 2013
How to Cite
Antonovics, J., Boots, M., Ebert, D., Koskella, B., Poss, M. and Sadd, B. M. (2013), THE ORIGIN OF SPECIFICITY BY MEANS OF NATURAL SELECTION: EVOLVED AND NONHOST RESISTANCE IN HOST–PATHOGEN INTERACTIONS. Evolution, 67: 1–9. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2012.01793.x
- Issue published online: 4 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 24 SEP 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 3 SEP 2012 12:05PM EST
- Received March 7, 2012 , Accepted August 9, 2012
- 1990. Local adaptation and host race formation of a gall-forming aphid in relation to environmental heterogeneity. Oecologia 83:162–170.
- 1993. Specificity testing of the nuclear polyhedrosis virus of the gypsy moth, Lymantria dispar (L.) (Lepidoptera: Lymantriidae). Can. Entomol. 125:1055–1066. , , and .
- 2009. Animal models for the study of influenza pathogenesis and therapy. Antiviral Res. 82:A110–A122.
- 1999. Macroevolution of insect-plant associations: the relevance of host biogeography to host affiliation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 96:12626–12631. , and .
- 1988. On the evolution of host specificity in phytophagous arthropods. Ecology 69:886–892. , and .
- 2009. The implications of coevolutionary dynamics to host-parasite interactions. Am. Nat. 173:779–791. , , and .
- 1996. Host adaptation in the anther smut fungus Ustilago violacea (Microbotryum violaceum): infection success, spore production and alteration of floral traits on two host species and their F1-hybrid. Oecologia 107:307–320. , and .
- 2009. Host-specific germination of the root holoparasite Hydnora triceps (Hydnoraceae). Botany 87:1250–1254. , , , and .
- 2005. Implementation of the blue heliotrope biological control strategy: host-specificity testing of Longitarsus sp. RIRDC Publication No. 05/003. , , and .
- 2005. Local adaptation and population structure at a micro-geographical scale of a fungal parasite on its host plant. J. Evol. Biol. 18:1445–1454. , and .
- 2002. Preferential host switching by primate lentiviruses can account for phylogenetic similarity with the primate phylogeny. Syst. Biol. 51:528–535. , and .
- 2010. Insights into arbovirus evolution and adapatation from experimental studies. Viruses 2:2594–2617. , and .
- 2008. Phylogeny and geography predict pathogen community similarity in wild primates and humans. Proc. R. Soc. B 275:1695–1701. , and .
- 2006. Viral ecology and the maintenance of novel host use. Am. Nat. 167:429–439. , , , and .
- 1995. Further evidence for host-specific variants in Zygorhizidium planktonicum. Mycologia 87:161–171. , and .
- 1994. Virulence and local adaptation of a horizontally transmitted parasite. Science 265:1084–1086.
- 1998. Experimental evolution of parasites. Science 282:1432–1435.
- 1996. Sex against virulence: the coevolution of parasitic diseases. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11:79–82. , and .
- 1999. Extreme host specificity by Microdon mutabilis (Diptera: Syrphidae), a social parasite of ants. Proc. R. Soc. B. 266:447–453. , , , and .
- 1981. Specialization: species property or local phenomenon. Science 211:887–893. , and .
- 2002. Local adaptation and the geometry of host-parasite coevolution. Ecol. Lett. 5:246–256.
- 2010. Immunity and other defenses in pea aphids, Acyrthosiphon pisum. Genome Biol. 11:R21. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Phylogenetic signal in plant-pathogen host range. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 104:4979–4983. , and .
- 2004. Causal mechanisms underlying host specificity in bat ectoparasites. Oecologia 138:648–654. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. A synthesis of experimental work on parasite local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 10: 418–434. , and
- 1981. A generalized concept of host-parasite specificity. Phytopathology 71:1121–1123.
- 2011. Population genetics of malaria resistance in humans. Heredity 107:283–304.
- 2008. A meta-analysis of factors affecting local adaptation between interacting species. Am. Nat. 171:275–290. , and .
- 1997. How does immigration influence local adaptation? A re-examination of a familiar paradigm. Am. Nat. 149:563–572. , and .
- 2007. Lack of host specificity of strains of Erwinia rhapontici, causal agent of pink seed of pulse and cereal crops. Bot. Stud. 48:181–186. , , and .
- 1990. Host specialization in phytophagous insects. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 21:243–273.
- 2009. Competition promotes the evolution of host generalists in obligate parasites. Proc. R. Soc. B 276:3921–3926. , , and .
- 1999. Local maladaptation in the anther-smut fungus Microbotryum violaceum to its host plant Silene latifolia: evidence from a cross-inoculation experiment. Evolution 53:395–407. , , , and .
- 2011. Host-range testing of a mixture of two nucleopolyhedroviruses of Choristoneura fumiferana (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae). Can. Entomol. 143:165–177. , , , , , and .
- 1998. Red Queen meets Santa Rosalia: arms races and the evolution of host specialization in organisms with parasitic lifestyles. Am. Nat. 152:635–651.
- 1967. Experiments on host-finding and host-specificity in the monogenean skin parasite Entobdella soleae. Parasitology 57:585–605.
- 2011. Family level phylogenies reveal modes of macroevolution in RNA viruses. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 108:238–243. , , and .
- 2011. Maladaptation in wild populations of the generalist plant pathogen Pseudomonas syringae. Evolution 65:818–830. , , and .
- 2011. Specialization of a fungal pathogen on host tree species in a cross-inoculation experiment. J. Ecol. 99:1394–1401. , , and
- 2005. Spatial scale of local adaptation in a plant-pathogen metapopulation. J. Evol. Biol. 18:930–938.
- 1989. Adaptation by a parasitic trematode to local populations of its snail host. Evolution 43:1663–1671.
- 2011. Host phylogeny determines viral persistence and replication in novel hosts. PLOS Pathog. 7:e1002260:1–9. , , , , and .
- 1996. Host specificity and biological pest control. Bioscience 46:401–405.
- 2004. Of mice and not men: differences between mouse and human immunology. J. Immunol. 172:2731–2738. , and .
- 2010. Antagonistic coevolution accelerates molecular evolution. Nature 464:275–278. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Infection success in novel hosts: an experimental and phylogenetic study of Drosophila-parasitic nematodes. Evolution 57:544–557. , and
- 2001. Evolution of the gall wasp-host plant association. Evolution 55:2503–2522. , and
- 2001. Patterns of association between crucifers and their flower-mimic pathogens: host jumps are more common than coevolution or cospeciation. Evolution 55:41–53.
- 2000a. Mechanisms underlying digenean–snail specificity: role of miracidial attachment and host plasma factors. J. Parasitol. 86:1012–1019. , and .
- 2000b. A comparative study of mechanisms underlying digenean-snail specificity: in vitro interactions between hemocytes and digenean larvae. J. Parasitol. 86:1020–1029. , and .
- 2011. A molecular evolutionary concept connecting nonhost resistance, pathogen host range, and pathogen speciation. Trends Plant Sci. 16:117–125. , and
- 2007. Specialization and local adaptation of a fungal parasite on two host species as revealed by two fitness traits. Evolution 61:27–41. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Clade-limited colonization in brood parasitic finches (Vidua spp.). Syst. Biol. 53:140–153. , and .
- 2010. Host phylogeny constrains cross-species emergence and establishment of rabies virus in bats. Science 329:676–679. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Treponema pallidum strain specific differences in neuroinvasion and clinical phenotype in a rabbit model. J. Infect. Dis. 191:75–80. , , and
- 2001. Risk factors for human disease emergence. Proc. R. Soc. B 356:983–989. , , and .
- 2003. Fresh insights into processes of nonhost resistance. Curr. Opin. Plant Biol. 6:351–357.
- 2002. Local adaptation in the Linum Marginale-Melampsora Lini host-pathogen interaction. Evolution 56:1340–1351. , , and
- 2007. Molecular mechanisms of pathogenicity: how do pathogenic microorganisms develop cross-kingdom host jumps FEMS Microbiol. Rev. 31:239–277. , , , , and .
- 2009. Nine-banded armadillo Dasypus novemcinctus animal model for leprosy (Hansen's disease). Scand. J. Lab. Anim. Sci. 36:167–176.
- 1992. Assessing functional explanations of host specificity. Am. Nat. 139:883–891.
- 1985. Host range of A/Chicken/Pennsylvania/83 (H5N2) influenza virus. Avian Dis. 29:198–207. , , and .