QUANTITATIVE GENETIC APPROACHES TO EVOLUTIONARY CONSTRAINT: HOW USEFUL?
Article first published online: 24 SEP 2012
© 2012 The Author. Evolution© 2012 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 66, Issue 11, pages 3313–3320, November 2012
How to Cite
Conner, J. K. (2012), QUANTITATIVE GENETIC APPROACHES TO EVOLUTIONARY CONSTRAINT: HOW USEFUL?. Evolution, 66: 3313–3320. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2012.01794.x
- Issue published online: 25 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 24 SEP 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 3 SEP 2012 12:07PM EST
- Received August 6, 2012 Accepted August 8, 2012
- 2009. How much do genetic covariances alter the rate of adaptation Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 276:1183–1191. , and .
- 2008. Differences in the selection response of serially repeated color pattern characters: standing variation, development, and evolution. BMC Evol. Biol. 8:94. , , , and .
- 1991. Ontoecogenophyloconstraints? The chaos of constraint terminology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 6:166–168. , and .
- 1992. Constraints on phenotypic evolution. Am. Nat. 140:S85–S107.
- 2006. Genetic constraints on floral evolution: a review and evaluation of patterns. Heredity 96:343–352. , and .
- 2003. Phylogenetic analysis of correlation structure in stalk-eyed flies (Diasemopsis, Diopsidae). Evolution 57:87–103. , and .
- 2000. Limits to natural selection. Bioessays 22:1075–1084. , and .
- 2004. From micro- to macroevolution through quantitative genetic variation: positive evidence from field crickets. Evolution 58:2287–2304. , and .
- 2002. Developmental constraints versus flexibility in morphological evolution. Nature 416:844–847. , , and .
- 1973. Simultaneous selection for two correlated traits in Tribolium. Genet. Res. Camb. 21:29–46. , and .
- 1986. Constraints on chemical coevolution: wild parsnips and the parsnip webworm. Evolution 40:1215–1228. , , and .
- 2004. Orientation of the genetic variance-covariance matrix and the fitness surface for multiple male sexually selected traits. Am. Nat. 163:329–340. , , and .
- 2010. The contribution of selection and genetic constraints to phenotypic divergence. Am. Nat. 175:186–196. , , and .
- 1987. Genetic correlations: the quantitative genetics of evolutionary constraints. Pp. 25–45 in V. Loeschcke, ed. Genetic constraints on adaptive evolution. Springer, Berlin .
- 1992. Natural selection on body size in Tribolium: possible genetic constraints on adaptive evolution. Heredity 69:73–83. , and .
- 2006. Ecological genetics of floral evolution. Pp. 260–277 in L. D. Harder, and S. C. H. Barrett, eds. Ecology and evolution of flowers. Oxford Univ. Press, New York .
- 2007. A tale of two methods: putting biology before statistics in the study of phenotypic evolution. J. Evol. Biol. 20:17–19.
- 2004. A primer of ecological genetics. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland , MA . , and .
- 2003. Expression of additive genetic variances and covariances for wild radish floral traits: comparison between field and greenhouse environments. Evolution 57:487–495. , , and .
- 2011. Rapid independent trait evolution despite a strong pleiotropic genetic correlation. Am. Nat. 178:429–441. , , , , , and .
- 1991. Genetics of Brassica campestris. 1. Genetic constraints on evolution of life-history characters. Evolution 45:371–379. , and .
- 1996. Artificial selection on horn length-body size allometry in the horned beetle Onthophagus acuminatus (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae). Evolution 50:1219–1230.
- 2001. Constraint to adaptive evolution in response to global warming. Science 294:151–154. , and .
- 2005. Natural selection and developmental constraints in the evolution of allometries. Science 307:718–720. , , , and .
- 2007. Internal and external constraints in the evolution of morphological allometries in a butterfly. Evolution 61:2958–2970. , , , and .
- 2010. Evolutionary constraint and ecological consequences. Evolution 64:1865–1884.
- 1979. The spandrels of San Marco and the Panglossian paradigm: a critique of the adaptationist programme. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 205:581–598. , and .
- 1988. On the uses of data on lifetime reproductive success. Pp. 454–471 in T. H. Clutton-Brock, ed. Reproductive success. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL .
- 2004. Direct selection on male attractiveness and female preference fails to produce a response. BMC Evol. Biol. 4:1. , , and .
- 2008. Measuring and comparing evolvability and constraint in multivariate characters. J. Evol. Biol. 21:1201–1219. , and .
- 2006. Determining the effective dimensionality of the genetic variance-covariance matrix. Genetics 173:1135–1144. , and .
- 2009. Patterns of quantitative genetic variation in multiple dimensions. Genetica 136:271–284.
- 2002. Antler size in red deer: heritability and selection but no evolution. Evolution 56:1683–1795. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Size as a line of least evolutionary resistance: diet and adaptive morphological radiation in new world monkeys. Evolution 59:1128–1142. , and .
- 1985. Developmental constraints and evolution. Q. Rev. Biol. 60:265–287. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Genetic correlations do not constrain the evolution of sexual dimorphism in the moss Ceratodon purpureus. Evolution 59:2353–2361.
- 2005. Phenotypic divergence along lines of genetic variance. Am. Nat. 165:32–43. , , and .
- 2008. An evolutionary limit to male mating success. Evolution 62:1528–1537. , , and .
- 2005. The dimensionality of genetic variation for wing shape in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 59:1027–1038. , and .
- 2009. The dynamics of phenotypic change and the shrinking sheep of St. Kilda. Science 325:464–467. , , , , , and .
- 1988. A critique of methods for measuring life history trade-offs. J. Evol. Biol. 1:293–303. , and .
- 2000. The fall and rise of Dr. Pangloss: adaptationism and the Spandrels paper 20 years later. Trends Ecol. Evol. 15:66–70. , and .
- 2006. Conserved phenotypic variation patterns, evolution along lines of least resistance, and departure due to selection in fossil rodents. Evolution 60:1701–1717. , , and .
- 2007. The evolution of trade-offs: where are we J. Evol. Biol. 20:433–447. , and .
- 1996. Adaptive radiation along genetic lines of least resistance. Evolution 50:1766–1774.
- 2010. Quantifying evolutionary genetic constraints in the ivyleaf morning glory, Ipomoea hederacea. Int. J. Plant Sci. 171:972–986. , and .
- 2008. Selection for character displacement is constrained by the genetic architecture of floral traits in the ivyleaf morning glory. Evolution 62:2829–2841. , and .
- 1994. Selecting for floral character associations in wild radish, Raphanus sativus L. J. Evol. Biol. 7:271–285. , and .
- 2005. Positive genetic correlations among major life-history traits related to ecological success in the aphid Myzus persicae. Evolution 59:1006–1015.
- 1990. Selection on wing allometry in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 126:975–989.
- 1993. Artificial sexual selection alters allometry in the stalk-eyed fly Cyrtodiopsis dalmanni (Diptera, Diopsidae). Genet. Res. 62:213–222.