OVERCOMING STATISTICAL BIAS TO ESTIMATE GENETIC MATING SYSTEMS IN OPEN POPULATIONS: A COMPARISON OF BATEMAN'S PRINCIPLES BETWEEN THE SEXES IN A SEX-ROLE-REVERSED PIPEFISH
Version of Record online: 27 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Author(s). Evolution© 2012 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 67, Issue 3, pages 646–660, March 2013
How to Cite
Mobley, K. B. and Jones, A. G. (2013), OVERCOMING STATISTICAL BIAS TO ESTIMATE GENETIC MATING SYSTEMS IN OPEN POPULATIONS: A COMPARISON OF BATEMAN'S PRINCIPLES BETWEEN THE SEXES IN A SEX-ROLE-REVERSED PIPEFISH. Evolution, 67: 646–660. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2012.01819.x
- Issue online: 5 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 27 OCT 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 4 OCT 2012 10:11AM EST
- Received February 1, 2012 Accepted September 18, 2012
- 1996. Sexual selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11:53–58. , and .
- 1994. Animal mating systems: a synthesis based on selection theory. Am. Nat. 143:317–348. , and .
- 1984. On the measurement of natural and sexual selection: Theory. Evolution 38:709–719. , and .
- 2011. The genetic mating system of a sea spider with male-biased sexual size dimorphism: evidence for paternity skew despite random mating success. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 65:1595–1604. , and .
- 1948. Intra-sexual selection in Drosophila. Heredity 2:349–368.
- 2002. Approximate Bayesian computation in population genetics. Genetics 162:2025–2035. , , and .
- 1990. Male limitation of female reproductive success in a pipefish: effects of body-size differences. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 27:129–133. , and .
- 1986. Mate choice, fecundity and sexual dimorphism in two pipefish species (Syngnathidae). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 19:301–307. , , and .
- 1989. Reproductive success of females limited by males in 2 pipefish species. Am. Nat. 133:506–516. , , and .
- 2011. Patterns of multiple paternity and maternity in fishes. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 103:735–760. , and .
- 1958. Some possibilities for measuring selection intensities in man. Hum. Biol. 30:1–13.
- 1871. The descent of man, and selection in relation to sex. Murray, London .
- 2004. Extreme polygyny among southern elephant seals on Sea Lion Island, Falkland Islands. Behav. Ecol. 6:961–969. , , , and .
- 2001. Gerud1.0: a computer program for the reconstruction of parental genotypes from progeny arrays using multilocus DNA data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 1:215–218.
- 2005. Gerud2.0: a computer program for the reconstruction of parental genotypes from half-sib progeny arrays with known or unknown parents. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5:708–711.
- 2009. On the opportunity for sexual selection, the Bateman gradient and the maximum intensity of sexual selection. Evolution 63:1673–1684.
- 1997a. Microsatellite analysis of maternity and the mating system in the Gulf pipefish Syngnathus scovelli, a species with male pregnancy and sex-role reversal. Mol. Ecol. 6:203–213. , and .
- 1997b. Polygynandry in the dusky pipefish Syngnathus floridae revealed by microsatellite markers. Evolution 51:1611–1622. , and .
- 2001. Mating systems and sexual selection in male-pregnant pipefishes and seahorses: insights from microsatellite-based studies of maternity. J. Hered. 92:150–158. , and .
- 2003. Methods of parentage analysis in natural populations. Mol. Ecol. 12:2511–2523. , and .
- 2009. Mate choice and sexual selection: what have we learned since Darwin Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 106:10001–10008. , and .
- 1999. The genetic mating system of a sex-role-reversed pipefish (Syngnathus typhle): a molecular inquiry. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 46:357–365. , , , and .
- 2000. The Bateman gradient and the cause of sexual selection in a sex-role-reversed pipefish. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267:677–680. , , , , and .
- 2001. Genetic evidence for extreme polyandry and extraordinary sex-role reversal in a pipefish. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268:2531–2535. , , and .
- 2002. Validation of Bateman's principles: a genetic study of sexual selection and mating patterns in the rough-skinned newt. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 269:2533–2539. , , and .
- 2004. Molecular parentage analysis in experimental newt populations: The response of mating system measures to variation in the operational sex ratio. Am. Nat. 164:444–456. , , and .
- 2005. The measurement of sexual selection using Bateman's principles: an experimental test in the sex-role-reversed pipefish, Syngnathus typhle. Integr. Comp. Biol. 45:874–884. , , , and .
- 2010. A practical guide to methods of parentage analysis. Mol. Ecol. Res. 10:6–30. , , , and .
- 1999. Geographical variation in multiple paternity within natural populations of the guppy (Poecilia reticulata). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266:2403–2408. , , and .
- 2010. The mismeasurement of sexual selection. J. Evol. Biol. 23:447–462. , , , and .
- 2011. The opportunity for sexual selection: not mismeasured, just misunderstood. J. Evol. Biol. 24:2064–2071. , , , , and .
- 1988. Lifetime reproductive success in northern elephant seals. Pp. 344–362 in T. Clutton-Brock, ed. Reproductive success. University of Chicago Press, Chicago . , and .
- 1996. Microsatellite DNA markers reveal new levels of genetic variation in northern pike. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 125:971–977. , and .
- 2007. Geographical variation in the mating system of the dusky pipefish (Syngnathus floridae). Mol. Ecol. 16:2596–2606. , and .
- 2009. Environmental, demographic, and genetic mating system variation among five geographically distinct dusky pipefish (Syngnathus floridae) populations. Mol. Ecol. 18:1476–1490. , and .
- 2011. The genetics and genomics of Syngnathidae: pipefishes, seahorses, and seadragons. J. Fish Biol. 78:1624–1646. , , and .
- 2008. Inter-population variation in multiple paternity and reproductive skew in the guppy. Mol. Ecol. 17:2975–2984. , , and .
- 2005. Bateman gradients in field and laboratory studies: a cautionary tale. Integr. Comp. Biol. 45:895–902. , and .
- 2001. A genetic analogue of ‘mark-recapture’ methods for estimating population size: an approach based on molecular parentage assessments. Mol. Ecol. 10:2711–2718. , , , and .
- 1990. Statistical inference for capture-recapture experiments. Wildlife Mongr. 107:1–97. , , , and .
- 1995. GENEPOP (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J. Hered. 86:248–249. , and .
- 2009. Potential reproductive rate of a sex-role reversed pipefish over several bouts of mating. Anim. Behav. 78:747–753. , , and .
- 2003. Mating systems and strategies. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ . , and .
- 2008. Pronounced reproductive skew in a natural population of green swordtails, Xiphophorus helleri. Mol. Ecol. 17:4522–4534. , , , and .
- 1994. Operational sex ratios and behavioural sex differences in a pipefish population. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 34:435–442. , , and .
- 1979. Sexual selection and variance in reproductive success. Am. Nat. 114:742–747.
- 1980. The intensity of sexual selection in relation to male sexual behaviour, female choice, and sperm precedence. Anim. Behav. 28:446–461. , and .
- 2004. Sexual selection: harem size and the variance in male reproductive success. Am. Nat. 164:E83–E89. , and .
- 2002. High opportunity for sexual selection in both sexes of an obligate brood parasitic bird, the brown-headed cowbird (Molothrus ater). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 52:417–425. , , and .