ON MULTILEVEL SELECTION AND KIN SELECTION: CONTEXTUAL ANALYSIS MEETS DIRECT FITNESS
Version of Record online: 8 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Author(s). Evolution © 2012 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 67, Issue 6, pages 1539–1548, June 2013
How to Cite
Goodnight, C. (2013), ON MULTILEVEL SELECTION AND KIN SELECTION: CONTEXTUAL ANALYSIS MEETS DIRECT FITNESS. Evolution, 67: 1539–1548. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2012.01821.x
- Issue online: 4 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 8 NOV 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 OCT 2012 10:05AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUN 2012
- 1984. On the measurement of natural and sexual selection: theory. Evolution 38:709–718. , and .
- 2003. Multilevel phenotypic selection on morphological characters in a metapopulation of Silene tatarica. Evolution 57:509–517. , , , and .
- 2007. Multilevel selection 1: quantitative genetics of inheritance and response to selection. Genetics 175:277–288. , , and .
- 2008. The joint effects of kin, multilevel selection and indirect genetic effects on response to genetic selection. J. Evol. Biol. 21:1175–1188. , and .
- 1989. Selection within and between kin groups of the imported willow leaf beetle. Am. Nat. 134:35–50. , and .
- 1986a. The effect of an experimental bottleneck upon quantitative genetic variation in the housefly. Genetics 114:1191–1211. , , and .
- 1986b. Morphometric differentiation among experimental lines of the housefly in relation to a bottleneck. Genetics 114:1213–1223. , , and .
- 1982. Group selection versus individual selection: an experimental analysis. Evolution 36:271–282.
- 1990. How to measure inclusive fitness. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B 241:229–231.
- 1992. Inclusive fitness and reproductive strategies in dwarf mongooses. Behav. Ecol. 5:339–348. , and .
- 2010. The role of multilevel selection in the evolution of sexual conflict in the water strider Aquarius remigis. Evolution 64:3183–3189. , , , and .
- 1996. Introduction to quantitative genetics. Longman, Essex, England. , and .
- 1997. The Price equation, Fisher's fundamental theorem, kin selection, and causal analysis. Evolution 51:1712–1729.
- 1985. The influence of environmental variation on group and individual selection in a cress. Evolution 39:545–558.
- 1988. Epistasis and the effect of founder events on the additive genetic variance. Evolution 42:441–454.
- 1990a. Experimental studies of community evolution. I. The response to selection at the community level. Evolution 44:1614–1624.
- 1990b. Experimental studies of community evolution. II. The ecological basis of the response to community selection. Evolution 44:1625–1636.
- 2004. Pp. 269–290 in J. Janick, ed. Gene interaction and selection. Plant breeding reviews. Vol. 24 part 1. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ.
- 2005. Multilevel selection: the evolution of cooperation in non kin groups. Popul. Ecol. 47:3–12.
- 1992. Contextual analysis of models of group selection, soft selection, hard selection and the evolution of altruism. Am. Nat. 140:743–761. , , and .
- 1997. Experimental studies of group selection: what do they tell us about group selection in nature? Am. Nat. 150(Suppl.):S59–S79. , and .
- 1982. How not to measure inclusive fitness. Nature 298: 425–426.
- 1977. Selection for populations of interacting genotypes. Pp. 413–434 in E. Pollak, O. Kempthorne, and T. B. Bailey, eds. Proceedings of the International Congress on Quantitative Genetics, 16–21 August 1976. Iowa State Univ. Press, Ames Iowa.
- 1964. The genetical evolution of social behaviour, I. J. Theor. Biol. 7:1–16.
- 1987. A method for analyzing selection in hierarchically structured populations. Am. Nat. 130:582–602. , and .
- 1981. Nepotism and cooperative breeding in the black-tailed prairie dog (Sciuridae: Cynomys ludovicianus). Pp. 283–310 in R. Alexander and D. W. Tinkle, eds. Natural selection and social behavior. Chiron Press, Inc., New York.
- 1983. Nepotism and alarm calling in the black-tailed prairie dog (Cynomys ludovicianus). Anim. Behav. 31:472–479.
- 1992. Importance of habitat saturation and territory quality for evolution of cooperative breeding in the Seychelles warbler. Nature 358:493–495.
- 2005. Kin selection and cooperative courtship in wild turkeys. Nature 434:69–72.
- 1979. Quantitative genetic analysis of brain:body size allometry. Evolution 33:402–416.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37:1210–1226. , and .
- 1996. Commentaries: how to measure inclusive fitness, revisited. Anim. Behav. 51:225–228. , , and .
- 1974. The theory of games and the evolution of animal conflicts. J. Theor. Biol. 47:209–221.
- 1976. Group selection. Q. Rev. Biol. 51:277–283.
- 1999. Genetic and environmental controls on the establishment of the invasive grass, Phalaris arundinacea. Biol. Invasions 1:181–188. , , and .
- 2005. Incorporation of competitive effects in forest tree or animal breeding programs. Genetics 170:1247–1259.
- 2013. A Schinckel. Multilevel selection with kin and non-kin groups, experimental results with Japanese quail (Coturnix japonica). Evolution 67:1598–1606. , .
- 2000. Lifetime selection on adult body size and components of body size in a waterstrider: opposing selection and maintenance of sexual size dimorphism. Evolution 54:558–566. , and .
- 2008. Mating frequency and inclusive fitness in Drosophila melanogaster. Am. Nat. 171:10–21. , , and .
- 1996. The measurement and meaning of inclusive fitness. Anim. Behav. 51:229–232.
- 1984. Measurement of the relative importance of individual selection and kin selection among females of the genus Macaca. Evolution 38:553–559.
- 2012. Hamilton's rule in multi-level selection models. J. Theor. Biol. 299:55–63. , , and
- 1998. Unto others: the evolution and psychology of unselfish behavior. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, MA. , and
- 1995. Multi-level selection in natural populations of Impatiens capensis. Am. Nat. 145:513–526. , , and .
- 1989. Evolutionary stability in one-parameter models under weak selection. Theor. Popul. Biol. 36:125–143.
- 1996. How to make a kin selection model. J. Theor. Biol. 180:27–37. , and .
- 2007. Direct fitness or inclusive fitness: how shall we model kin selection. J. Evol. Biol. 20:301–309. , , and .
- 1995. Reproductive conflicts and levels of selection in the ant Pristomyrmex pungens: contextual analysis and partitioning of covariance. Am. Nat. 146:587–607.
- 2012. Group selection and inclusive fitness are not equivalent; the Price equation vs. models and statistcs. J. Theor. Biol. 299:64–80. , , , and .
- 1977. An experimental study of group selection. Evolution 31:134–153.
- 1980. An experimental study of kin selection. Evolution 34:844–855.
- 1985. Soft selection, hard selection, kin selection and group selection. Am. Nat. 125:61–73.
- 2007. Antagonistic multilevel selection on size and architecture in variable density settings. Evolution 61:58–67. , , , and .
- 2007. Social semantics: altruism, cooperation, mutualism, strong reciprocity and group selection. J. Evol. Biol. 20:415–432. , , and .
- 1993. Increased heritable variation following population bottlenecks: the role of dominance. Evolution 47:949–956. , and .
Associate Editor: D. Fairbairn