This article was based in part on a dissertation submitted by the first author to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the doctoral degree. It was supported in part by an Arthritis Health Professions Traineeship to Susan Blalock, in part by a University of North Carolina Research Council grant to Brenda DeVellis, and in part by the University of North Carolina Multipurpose Arthritis center, which is funded by the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services.
Social Comparison Among Individuals With Rheumatoid Arthritis1
Article first published online: 31 JUL 2006
Journal of Applied Social Psychology
Volume 19, Issue 8, pages 665–680, June 1989
How to Cite
Blalock, S. J., DeVellis, B. M. and DeVellis, R. F. (1989), Social Comparison Among Individuals With Rheumatoid Arthritis. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 19: 665–680. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-1816.1989.tb00346.x
The authors would like to thank Jo Anne Earp, Suzanne Sauter, and Vaida Thompson for their contributions throughout various stages of the research. They also thank Lynda Anderson, Karl Bauman, Lynn Blanchard, Kathleen Harring, Kathleen Holt, Rick Hoyle, Kenneth McLeroy, and Richard Smith for helpful comments on an earlier draft of this article and Regina Fleming for her assistance with data collection.
Portions of the results were presented at the 8th Annual Scientific Sessions of the Society of Behavioral Medicine, the 22nd National Conference of the Arthritis Health Professions Association, and the 95th Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association.
- Issue published online: 31 JUL 2006
- Article first published online: 31 JUL 2006
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!