Wayne T. Steward is now at the Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, San Francisco; Tamera R. Schneider is at Wright State University; Judith Pizarro is at University of California, Irvine; and Peter Salovey is at Yale University. This research was funded by a grant from the National Cancer Institute (R01-CA68427). Manuscript preparation also was facilitated by grants from the National Institute of Mental Health (P01-MH/DA 56826) and from the Ethel Donaghue Women's Health Investigator Program at Yale. The authors thank the following individuals and organizations for allowing us to collect data: Margaret Bower and the staff at Gateway Community College; Matie Demennato and the staff at the University of New Haven Health Fair; Roger Kinderman and the staff at Hammonassett Beach State Park; Julia Pahoda and the staff at the 56th annual North Haven Fair; John and Robin Vanacore and the staff at the 4th annual Train Collectors' Train Show held at Southern Connecticut State University (SCSU); the Marketing Department and staff of the Dodge Dealers NASCAR 200 held at Lime Rock Park in Lakeville, Connecticut; and the staff of the SCSU Health Center. We also thank Steve Triay and Smith-Kline Beecham for supplying Nicorette® gum, and extend our gratitude to Andrea Anushko, Brian Detweiler-Bedell, Jerusha Detweiler-Bedell, David Pizarro, Melissa Ponce, Susan Rivers, and Janet Zullo for their assistance with data collection. Finally, we thank three anonymous reviewers for their comments.
Need for Cognition Moderates Responses to Framed Smoking-Cessation Messages1
Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2006
Journal of Applied Social Psychology
Volume 33, Issue 12, pages 2439–2464, December 2003
How to Cite
Steward, W. T., Schneider, T. R., Pizarro, J. and Salovey, P. (2003), Need for Cognition Moderates Responses to Framed Smoking-Cessation Messages. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 33: 2439–2464. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-1816.2003.tb02775.x
- Issue online: 31 JUL 2006
- Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2006
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!